Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally changed the association for .zip files to be opened/extracted with the default Microsoft zip extractor.

I was messing around and accidentally changed the association of zip files to be opened with Firefox rather than the Microsoft .zip extractor.

How do I change it back?

Also for some reason whenever I upload a file or image via Firefox, I am unable to delete the image or file from my HDD in Vista until I close Firefox. This is rather quite the annoyance and was wondering if the minor issue is able to be fixed?

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In file properties for it, change the association from firefox to 'Compressed Zipped folder".

In folder properties/file associations, you can scroll down to ZIP and reestablish it as default.
I can't see to figure out how to do this..

When I right click a .zip file and select properties --> Open's with, only Firefox is listed.

Changing the association also changed the icon of the .zip files to the Firefox html icon. >_<

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the microsoft extract sucks anyway, install 7zip!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
go to my computer. tools > folder options > file types "tab"> select the ZIP file type and then click change > select compressed(zipped) folders, make sure that the box is ticked for "always use the balbalbalbalbalbal kind of file". then OK.

i think this was about you was talking about.

·
Registered
593 Posts
the microsoft extract sucks anyway, install 7zip!
Well Windows compression to zip folder isn't so bad.But then again I agree with you that the 7-zip is better.:)Hey by the way which do you think is better...WinRar or 7-zip?

I accidentally changed the association for .zip files to be opened/extracted with the default Microsoft zip extractor.

I was messing around and accidentally changed the association of zip files to be opened with Firefox rather than the Microsoft .zip extractor.

How do I change it back?

Also for some reason whenever I upload a file or image via Firefox, I am unable to delete the image or file from my HDD in Vista until I close Firefox. This is rather quite the annoyance and was wondering if the minor issue is able to be fixed?
Lol were you bored and had nothing else to do then to mess with the association for .zip files?:D
Lol I remember once when my brother made that almost ALL files on his drive C: be compressed as .zip.He tryed to return everything to normal
and then after he restarted his computer,XP looked and worked so weird.All icons looked like small black boxes.And the funniest thing is that when he tryed to restore the options for .zip and for .rar files,files got damaged and he wasn't been able to boot into windows anymore xD
he made the XP repair and when XP booted up,it needed more then 10 minutes just to show the desktop ROFLMAO!You should have seen his face in that moment xD xD xD:lol:

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
*was a linux user*
*got sick of the epic fail of linux audio*

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
too lazy.
another reason im not into linux anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
go to my computer. tools > folder options > file types "tab"> select the ZIP file type and then click change > select compressed(zipped) folders, make sure that the box is ticked for "always use the balbalbalbalbalbal kind of file". then OK.

i think this was about you was talking about.
That might work if I was running XP, but since I'm running Vista it is set up a bit differently.

Personally I've never dealt with such a problem before in my time running Vista as my main operating system.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
:rolleyes:

Windows Vista has the folder options / file types(tab) box as well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That might work if I was running XP, but since I'm running Vista it is set up a bit differently.

Personally I've never dealt with such a problem before in my time running Vista as my main operating system.
May I ask why do you use Vista anyway??? Windows XP and Windows 7 are MUCH better and do not require so much RAM...
Even if you have very strong computer,why Vista? If you have more then 4 GB of RAM then ok...XP supports maximum up to 4 GB of RAM,but if that's the case why not try Windows 7?:D

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
May I ask why do you use Vista anyway??? Windows XP and Windows 7 are MUCH better and do not require so much RAM...
Even if you have very strong computer,why Vista? If you have more then 4 GB of RAM then ok...XP supports maximum up to 4 GB of RAM,but if that's the case why not try Windows 7?:D
4GB for 32bit BUT 64bit can be more for XP, i was joking about Vista but why not Vista, if he has payed for his Vista copy?

·
Registered
593 Posts
4GB for 32bit BUT 64bit can be more for XP, i was joking about Vista but why not Vista, if he has payed for his Vista copy?
Why DID he pay for Vista anyway lol?
Too bad Microsoft is not delivering Windows XP anymore:(
They even stopped the support for Windows XP:(

Lol for me Windows Vista isn't bad at all if you have good PC.Otherwise it's bad.Maybe they should call it Vista ME (Vista Mistake Edition or Vista Multiple Errors):D:D:D
But hey who knows maybe RIGHT NOW they are working on Vista that will be called Vista RE (Vista RAM Edition:dead:)...just kidding of course... ^^
Let's put it on this way =P :

Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition = Microsoft Windows Vista (Replacement:D)
Microsoft Windows XP = Microsoft Windows 7 (Replacement:D)

^.^

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Too bad Microsoft is not delivering Windows XP anymore:(
They even stopped the support for Windows XP:(
They stopped support for XP? It's in extended support, but still... it's supported.

Because he wanted Vista?

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Vista is not as bad as people make it out to be, the media and people who followed the fud train are the only ones who bash Vista. For most people Vista functions fine, even more so than XP without any performance issues whatsoever.

Vista is quite a usable and stable operating system provided hardware is adequate enough. When I first got Vista, I was running it on a Celeron D @ 2.66 Ghz with a Gefore FX 5500, it was rock solid back then and still is today on my Core2Duo E8500 PC with 4 GB DDR2 Ram, Geforce 9800 GT.

I'll admit though that Windows 7 is still a bit faster, but Vista is not really all too bad. The features in Vista make the small sacrifice in performance (if any) well worth it, and let's face it that even though Windows 7 is rock solid already, it is still in the RC stages and not ready as a production OS yet.

Also the Windows 7 RC will start shutting down every two hours by March of next year, finally expiring in June/July.

Also let's not turn this into an XP/Seven Vs. Vista debate kthx.. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.