Next Generation Emulation banner

Your problem is MY freedom!

5K views 136 replies 22 participants last post by  koko 
#1 ·
"On Tuesday, Microsoft was granted US Patent No. 7,536,726 (it was filed in 2005) for intentionally crippling the functionality of an operating system by 'making selected portions and functionality of the operating system unavailable to the user or by limiting the user's ability to add software applications or device drivers to the computer' until an 'agreed upon sum of money' is paid to 'unlock or otherwise make available the restricted functionality.' According to Microsoft, this solves a 'problem inherent in open architecture systems,' i.e., 'they are generally licensed with complete use rights and/or functionality that may be beyond the need or desire of the system purchaser.' An additional problem with open architecture systems, Microsoft explains, is that 'virtually anyone can write an application that can be executed on the system."

Read this ****.

#27 ·
Except for :"Charging 200 bucks for CD with bloatware on it isn't very encouraging to the customer to say the least...." which is right from many points of view it does seems there charging much more then it would seems fair/right on there product, but (and here is where we go on our separate ways):
1. its there product if they want they can charge 1 billion its there right, not you nor me have the right to set the price for either microsoft's or anyone else's product.
2. which is very related to 1 they dont force you to buy it, you dont need microsoft to survive, you can use a PC just fine without Microsoft's products (except gaming but there are consoles out there and you can play a few games on linux to some extent).

#29 ·
Windows XP Pro: $150
Windows Vista Ultimate: $210
MS Office 2007: $120

Charging 200 bucks for CD with bloatware on it isn't very encouraging to the customer to say the least.... and now you're probably gonna rant about the fact that there's Vista Home Basic for the budget-minded person, well if I'm gonna pay $80 for that, might as well just download and install TinyCore since the difference between the 2 is negligible.... :rolleyes:
Don't buy it then. Go get a mac, or use linux.
Those prices aren't unreasonable for software though. Pretty cheap, actually, compared to a lot of other software.
You not liking the price != robbery. You can't possibly expect MS to give it away.

#34 ·
This thread just reeks of fail. Spyhop is correct on every point in this thread.

Whoever disagrees is a dumbass. Seriously.

#37 ·
Can someone explain this to me in English? The point I'm troubled about is it seems to indicate Microsoft will limit what you can run on your PC. Say I want to run shareware, freeware, or emulation, they could say **** you, that isn't acceptable, you can't run it on your PC. They could also use something like WGA to monitor your OS for cracks and disable it and cancel your license if you break their EULA in this arrangement, and I'm supposed to be cool with that?

Telling people what they can run on their PCs?

#39 ·
Can someone explain this to me in English? The point I'm troubled about is it seems to indicate Microsoft will limit what you can run on your PC. Say I want to run shareware, freeware, or emulation, they could say **** you, that isn't acceptable, you can't run it on your PC. They could also use something like WGA to monitor your OS for cracks and disable it and cancel your license if you break their EULA in this arrangement, and I'm supposed to be cool with that?

No, this is for windows features. ie. if you buy basic, and you later want media centre, you can buy the feature.

either that or a way to get pirates to pay up. Either way, I doubt it will have much effect on honest customers.

#40 ·

They could have done this at any given point. By patenting it they're just preventing people from suing them for it (to an extent).

If they abuse their power, people will protest, they'll lose sales, and so they go back on what they've done. Thankfully, Microsoft (no matter what image they give off) isn't run by idiots, so odds are, they're not going to intentionally hand over their customers to Apple.

Money drives Microsoft. They need customers to make money. Making the customers angry means less money. They're not going to intentionally piss off the customers.

Sorry if I'm coming off as harsh, but I'm not replying to you directly, just trying to educate the hordes of idiots that will read and over-fuss over this thread.

#41 ·
I hope not, its just my father and others have discussed the idea a number of years ago, and the concept scares me about potentially losing the ability to choose what software and hardware I can put on my equipment.

#44 ·
How, exactly? The only people I see this pissing off is pirates.

lol, its really not, the pirates just use a OEM bootloader and completely bypass the need for windows activation :D

#46 ·
I'm just waiting for the ReactOS nerds (term used affectionately) to code their way out of alpha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.