Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your opinion of the best looking 2d sprite based games on any console or pc
And be sure to post pictures to show everyone the beauty of the games

Preferably sprite, not polygon, or polygon/celshaded or voxel(j/k)

Of course there is Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Platinum Rebirth Extended Limited Collector's Edition
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inside Digital Foundry » Street Fighter

Odin Sphere (which i never played but the 2d sprite graphics look stunning)

So be sure to add pics of the 2d (preferably) sprite games that impressed you the most...

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
Those two do look gorgeous. My contributions:

Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension has some of the most impressive sprite based action I have ever seen from the Snes, especially considering the constraints of the system. Such great use of colour and the sprite sizes are quite impressive. Chunky, well detailed and some beautiful environments and at times has a better look than the TV show. Very, very pretty.

(ordinary pictures I know, but google image search can't find better ones)

The new King of Fighters XII also has some of the most detailed and intricate hand drawn sprityness, that looks every bit as good as the SFII HD remix. While I have only seen pics and videos, already the game looks to be drop dead gorgeous and smooth as silk.

·
You're already dead...
10,293 Posts
i wish there was more of a focus oh HD 2d-games nowadays instead of 3d stuff.
nowadays 2d platformers like Megaman/Super Mario Bros/etc... are pretty much dead on 7th generation consoles.
you only see 2d in some RPGs like the Disgaea games, and fighting games (like the ones posted in this thread)

anyways, the games in this thread look great.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
To me nothing beats Toaplan's crazy pixel art mastery.
Only later stuff from Raizing and Cave is on par.
100% 'hand drawn', 100% real sprites (except maybe some polygons in Batsugun, not sure).
Behold true 2D beauty ! :drool:

EDIT: btw guys, aren't SFIIHD, KOF XII and Odin Sphere using polygons for characters ? (even if doesn't seem so)

Outzone (1990)

Dogyuun (1992)

Truxton II (1992)

Batsugun (1993)

Battle Garegga (1996), ESP.Ra.De. (1998), Armed Police Batrider (1998)

Guwange (1999)

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
There is a nice Wario game for the Wii, but @ $50..... Ewwww.....

Maybe $19-$29....

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
I was gonna post some World of Goo. And, as far as I know, Odin Sphere doesn't use polygons for the sprite art. I could be wrong, though. Especially since some other 2D games highly priced for their art have used it(such as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night). But regardless of the technique, it is still 2D.

By the way, I demand a PC version of Castle Crashers. Have heard good things of it so far.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
odin sphere is indeed incredible.

but one that i recently tried is castle crashers. its got style out the wingwang.
Ah, good old Dan Paladin, I loved the art style of Alien Hominid. I just need a 360 for Castle Crashers.....

There is a nice Wario game for the Wii, but @ $50..... Ewwww.....

Maybe $19-$29....
Wario Land: Shake It!? Pretty good game if you ask me. Definitely looks amazing.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
It's just a bit short for $50. I was at the second boss in 3 hours of gameplay, there are only 5 levels...

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
I was gonna post some World of Goo. And, as far as I know, Odin Sphere doesn't use polygons for the sprite art. I could be wrong, though. Especially since some other 2D games highly priced for their art have used it(such as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night). But regardless of the technique, it is still 2D.
Odin Sphere uses 3D effects for movements etc, so they're sprites, but with few animation frames.
Actually most of the games posted here rely heavily on 3D, all animated objects are something like 3D models with artworks stuck on them (isn't that called 'rotoscoping' ?).
You say "regardless of the technique, it is still 2D" but you should have said "it looks like 2D".

Real 2D is much harder to do, I understand that faking it with 3D tricks makes development faster, but It often looks plain to me, united colors, obviously faked animation... well at least I admit they've put some real effort in KOF XII and BlazBlue despite the use of these tricks, but what's so good about Wario Land or World of Goo graphicly speaking ?
I have a feeling that now that we're in the 'HD' era, there simply are too many pixels to draw for developers.
'HD 2D' still doesn't really exist. Barely 'hand drawn', very few frame animations, this is not 2D, don't be fooled guys.
Technique does matter, we have to call a cat a cat, because it makes a lot of difference in the end.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Well sorry but I can tell the difference.
Most of these recent fake-2D productions have a much lower level of graphic details and frame animation compared to real 2D games, it's very obvious to me.
The title of this thread is 'Your opinion of best looking 2d sprite games on any system', and I saw very few of these.
I'm just calling things by their name, but of course if nobody gives a **** then let's post anything that looks flat and empty and call it 'best looking 2D sprite games'.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Have you seen demos of this game, man!? It's like a moving painting!
Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying fake-2D games are wrong, just that they're different and still behind real 2D. Like 3D animated movies vs hand drawn frame-by-frame ones for instance.

Braid is indeed nice ! That's a good example of fake 2D with effort put into it, but now try to imagine this game with characters and models being much bigger onscreen... that would have asked the devs much, much more work to achieve the same level of details on big models.
That's what's annoying me with these attempts at 'HD 2D', it's either detailed but small or big and empty.
It's a pity now that consoles are so powerful and screens so fine that developers can't find the time and money, or simply courage, to fill all this 2D space with their art and rely on 3D engines and tricks instead.

·
9,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Those two do look gorgeous. My contributions:

.....Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension...

The new King of Fighters XII also has some of the most detailed and intricate hand drawn sprityness, that looks every bit as good as the SFII HD remix. While I have only seen pics and videos, already the game looks to be drop dead gorgeous and smooth as silk.
That dbz fighting game was quite impressive for the snes. There are only a few that can top it imo, but then they utilized that memory exapnsion and additional chips in the cartridges to enhance the graphics, like streetfighter alpha 2.

Boy the KoF does look extremely impressive. The artwork is interesting, it looks kinda like its cel shaded. Thanks snicko man.

Kof really does look great. For me is the new upcoming fighting game from the same guys of GG. And the game im most excited about. Blaz Blue Calamity Trigger. I am in serious need for a ps3 T_T
My god the artwork in Blaz Blue Calamity Trigger is simply breathtaking. Nice find Noja.

i wish there was more of a focus oh HD 2d-games nowadays instead of 3d stuff.
nowadays 2d platformers like Megaman/Super Mario Bros/etc... are pretty much dead on 7th generation consoles.
you only see 2d in some RPGs like the Disgaea games, and fighting games (like the ones posted in this thread)

anyways, the games in this thread look great.
Yeah, i always wished they'd realise the artist rendition of Super Metroid

or

sonic hd

World of goo is pretty nice.
Very interesting unique art style, i like it.

Wario Land: Shake It!? Pretty good game if you ask me. Definitely looks amazing.

The detail, art and color for the forground and background are quite nice, and although the characters themselves aren't highly complex or detailed its still quite beautiful because of the background and scenery. I'm sure the wii could do even more complex and detailed semi-2d graphics though, and i doubt this pushes the system much.

·
9,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you seen demos of this game, man!? It's like a moving painting!
No, i've never heard of this game, very beautiful, i really like all the detail and the hand painted look of the game.

To me nothing beats Toaplan's crazy pixel art mastery.
Only later stuff from Raizing and Cave is on par.
100% 'hand drawn', 100% real sprites (except maybe some polygons in Batsugun, not sure).
Behold true 2D beauty ! :drool:

EDIT: btw guys, aren't SFIIHD, KOF XII and Odin Sphere using polygons for characters ? (even if doesn't seem so)
I wasn't aware SFIIHD and others modern semi-sprite games were when i set out creating my initial post. I guess with the way videogame hardware is now days the vast majority of games that appear to rely solely on 2D sprite are no longer the case. Which will mean we'd need to disregard almost all new games that utilize both sprites and 3d rendering techniques.

My initial desire for was to make sure games like Viewtiful Joe which uses celshading or 3d games side scrollers like Little Bigplanet or Bionic Commando ReArmed weren't posted...

I guess for modern 2d games then i'd be interested in ones that utilize a degree of sprite based rendering as well as 3d rendering.

Those classic style overhead arcade fighterplane shooters that you linked are quite nice.

Well sorry but I can tell the difference.
Most of these recent fake-2D productions have a much lower level of graphic details and frame animation compared to real 2D games, it's very obvious to me.
The title of this thread is 'Your opinion of best looking 2d sprite games on any system', and I saw very few of these.
I'm just calling things by their name, but of course if nobody gives a **** then let's post anything that looks flat and empty and call it 'best looking 2D sprite games'.
Well there really is no choice for mainstream modern games. They all use a mash of spites and 3d technique to some extent.

I have a feeling that now that we're in the 'HD' era, there simply are too many pixels to draw for developers.
'HD 2D' still doesn't really exist. Barely 'hand drawn', very few frame animations, this is not 2D, don't be fooled guys.
Technique does matter, we have to call a cat a cat, because it makes a lot of difference in the end.
Hmmm, I was under the impression that each frame of character animation was hand drawn in Street Fighter II HD.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.