Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I applied for a job at the internet cafe I go to regularly and the manager said she liked my resume she'll let me know when there's a vacancy. So its only a matter of time before I'm hired. Ofcourse I was totally overjoyed at the news that my first resume application at my most preferred place to work actually worked, but now I'm a little nervus if I'll be good at the job or not. So tell us all, what was your first job and did you cope with it?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I first worked as assistant technician to a university. Initially it was quite fun but i realized that most of the time you are just (and so was the technician) chatting on MSN messenger or playing games. So i guess I coped pretty well!

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
you should never get a job. at first you'll be all excited that you're making money and doing something, then it will slowly eat your life away and you'll wonder "does sticking your head in the oven really work? or is it easier just to jump off a bridge? hmmm..."

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
hushypushy said:
you should never get a job. at first you'll be all excited that you're making money and doing something, then it will slowly eat your life away and you'll wonder "does sticking your head in the oven really work? or is it easier just to jump off a bridge? hmmm..."
I've NEVER been excited about the prospect of "gainful employment"... unfortunately money is a necessity, and hence a job is a necessary evil. My first job was a fairly humorous one... working as a "roadie" for a children's music folk-singing duo. It was in the summer, and the duo went around playing music and performing skits for young kids (like 4-6) at day camps and stuff. I carried their equipment, set up their amps, cued up their backing audio, etc. It was very part time, but they paid me 50 bucks per day in cash for each day that I worked, which was pretty awesome for like 3-6 hours of work. Sad that I made more per hour as a 14-year old roadie than I do now at 24 :rolleyes:

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
Rhombus said:
I've NEVER been excited about the prospect of "gainful employment"... unfortunately money is a necessity, and hence a job is a necessary evil.
Same here :cry:
My first job was in a law firm as an aprentice of lawyer (that's what it's called in english?).
Even when i tried to look cold and secure, inside of me i was begging to get killed so nobody else had to see my face again and ask me questions/give me cases i didn't know how to solve. I had to act quickly without hesitation while i was still thinking: "what was the first thing he said? Is this important? What i'm doing is for best or for worst? Is this they way to do this? If im wrong when i speak out loud everyone will laugh at me and see i know nothing"

Eventually you get used to this kind of situation and feel like fish in the water. What i'm trying to say is that even if a new job feels like it's easy and you now it well, you'll always have to solve things that you didn't expect and eventually you'll learn to be calm in any situation.

What if you need to repair a pc in your job and even if you tried everything you know it can't be helped? I once tried it and there was nothing i could do, everything seemed to work fine but it just didn't boot: the mb had power, the fans turned on, the hd was being accessed but there was no image and it was not the video card nor the ram. What was i supposed to buy if i couldn't not try different parts?
anyway, good luck, even if it seems hard somedays it will be worth it, atleast to impress some girls.... YES, THERE ARE GIRLS WHO ARE IMPRESSED BY SOMEONE FIXING A PC oO

·
The Vodka Theme
747 Posts
my first was painting appartments at my mother's work. my boss was (and still is) a workoholic and his boss was an *******. it was generally hell since i got shouts and threats from every direction. i cleaned and moved things around too. they were basicly waiting for a cheap workforce to clean out every single werehouse.

the following year i worked with a kid my age and it was pretty good except the part where i had to paint 2 rooftops by myself (i got a fear of hights).

nice job heh? i'm gonna work next summer too :p

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmm...first legit job? hehe
We grew up in New York..so there was always little ways to make money (Like shoveling snow or digging out someones car)

However our first legit job was working for a GAP clothing store. That was when we learned we could never be a pushy salesperson. We did enjoy working the fitting rooms. There was always some hot chick that would try on something tight fitting, and would want our opinion on how it looked ;)
The repetitive store music could make you insane...well in our case even moreso...ah memories

damn you kids get all the cool jobs.....

·
Honda Civic
948 Posts
well i worked in a metal shop and it was just me and the guy that owned it working there, all i did at first was clean the shop but moved up to more responecible task like working with metal and what not, I can't say that I have ever really enjoyed my job(s) but I do learn alot I am currently delivering pizza again my last job was a plumbers assistant

·
Heh...
1,905 Posts
hushypushy said:
Holy crap, I thought I was the only one who thought like that. I'm going to be 24 and I haven't had a job since I quit my first job six years ago :lol:

It's not lazyness or anything like that. Working just plain sucks ass.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My first job lasted about 4 hours. I was a dish washer at a local restaurant. They told me that I would have breaks and get fed, but neither of those things happened. So then I ended up doing manual labor and yard work for a neighbor for the past few summers. I did stuff like mow his grass, painting, work in his garden, and rebuild stone walls. At least he was a good boss - never got mad at me.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Dairy Queen *quivers*

It was overwhelming the first week, but I caught on quick and by a few weeks I was training others! By about 3 months, since so many people quit, I had the most senority in the back (Oh yea I was a cook BTW) so I got to boss little dumb kids around :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.