Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all my mom is done with taxes for now and we are getting $1900 back so about $1000 is going to property taxes so my mom is gonna use hsn to get a media center pc on flexpay,so once we do this i'm gonna basically rip some of our dvd's and then encode them with surround sound,so what do you guys think is the best to use?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
Gordian knot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Pinnacle Instant Copy is by far the best quality transcoder. I usually rip my DVD's to a folder using DVD Decrypter then transcode them with Instant Copy then burn. Near perfect 1:1 copys.

I have tried 3 other programs like CloneDVD but the quality isnt to my standards. There is a comparison chart that shows all the software and their encodes and Instant Copy is the winner... I'll post the link when I find it again :)

EDIT: you mean to avi? then what kane said :lol:
 

·
TEKKEN LORD
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
dvds usually come with soround dts or dolby so there is no need to encode them to but if u want asoftware that can rip dvds use (dvd to vcd svcd avi)

yes thats the name i hope i understood what u want
 

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Kiroshi said:
EDIT: you mean to avi? then what kane said :lol:
Why encode to avi when you have powerful PC that is capable of playing better and far superior containers,..say .mkv

Yours,
-Elly
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
エッリー said:
Why encode to avi when you have powerful PC that is capable of playing better and far superior containers,..say .mkv

Yours,
-Elly
Because you don't need subs, or multiple audio streams, or exotic audio formats?
 

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
Because you don't need subs, or multiple audio streams, or exotic audio formats?
you forgot vfr and better compresability (AFAIK at least) ;) The thing that bugs me about avi is that it's dead and it's no longer worked on. IThough, It's relativly easy to use nowadays since it was ( and still is ) very popular.

Yours,
-Elly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
エッリー said:
you forgot vfr and better compresability (AFAIK at least) ;) The thing that bugs me about avi is that it's dead and it's no longer worked on. IThough, It's relativly easy to use nowadays since it was ( and still is ) very popular.

Yours,
-Elly
What do you mean avi is dead? Avi isn't really a format. It's just a wrapper for nearly any kind of video and audio. Video can be compressed in any format (divx, xvid, mpeg4) and the audio can be anything as well (wav, mp3, mp2, ac3, ect.)
 

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
The Captain said:
What do you mean avi is dead? Avi isn't really a format. It's just a wrapper for nearly any kind of video and audio. Video can be compressed in any format (divx, xvid, mpeg4) and the audio can be anything as well (wav, mp3, mp2, ac3, ect.)
When I said it's dead I didnt mean people not using it anymore, but dead as in no longer developed anymore. Development stopped more than 2 years ago. In today standards, avi is old and outdated. For instance, it doesnt support b frames nor mp3 audio, but those were added later by means of hacks. mkv. on the other hand is still being updated. The drawbacks of using mkv are processing power and the need for additional software such as matsorka pack ( unless you are using MPC) .

And lets clear something here. DivX, Xvid, H.264, AVC...etc are codecs. Avi, mkv, ogm..etc are called containers.

Dont get me wrong btw. I am not totaly against avi. or something ( Heck I've always used it so far on my encodes). I am just totally annoyed to see that some of the upcoming codecs might not support avi. Thankfully H.264 (the next Xvid, look forward for that) works on avi. But when you try to encode a 23.976 FPS progressive anime ep with a 29.97 FPS op/ed in avi, you'll see how frustrated you'll be....constant FPS ( meaning that you'll have to decimate the whole ep to a constant FPS, either making the op/ed smooth and the ep jerky or letting the ep go smooth while lagging down the op/ed).

Anyways I am babbling here :p If you really dont care then just stick to avi. But if you want to ( and can ) go full quality then you're better off with .mkv

Sorry for dragging this offtopic, heh ^^;

Yours,
-Elly
 

·
Knowledge is the solution
Joined
·
7,168 Posts
Anyways I am babbling here If you really dont care then just stick to avi. But if you want to ( and can ) go full quality then you're better off with .mkv
Shall we bring the hardsubs vs softsubs to ngemu as well? :p
 

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Shh, dont remind me :p

Yours,
-Elly
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top