Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Your Album Picks 2000 – 2009

Ever see those lists for album of the year, well let’s knock it up a notch and make this interesting with your album picks from 2000 – 2009. There are no limits as to how many albums you can add, but please do tell us a bit about the album and why it is in your list.

Iron Maiden – A matter of Life and Death – 2006

Brave New World was a top contender to make my list, but honestly I feel that A Matter of Life and Death is such a positive evolution of the band that it is more than worthy to be in my list. What sets this, the 14th album, from the rest of Maidens masterful discography is that it was recorded without any mastering of the songs. What you hear from the album is what you would hear in the studio and it plays a major role in establishing this album as one of their best yet. With three main guitarists, on paper you could say that is far too many, but what blasts out of the speakers is a harmony between the three which creates a sound that is truly incredible, with a mix of blisteringly fast and melodic sound and it all harmonized beautifully. Each song takes its time to tell its story well, with some of the more epic titles like “For the Greater Good of God” breaching the 9 minute mark with ease, these tracks manage to paint a picture in your mind that is so vivid and strong that to even consider for a second that these tracks are too long would be madness. Brave New World was masterful, A Matter of Life and Death is simply epic and shows a great maturity, not just in sound but in content from one of the best in the world and that is why it makes it into my list.

Mastodon – Blood Mountain – 2006

Mastodon certainly made an impact on the metal world with their previous albums, particularly Leviathan and with Blood Mountain they were brilliantly able to take charge and create another masterpiece. From the opening “Wolf is Loose” and “Crystal Skull” they supercharge the album with some solid heavy riffs, heavy yet upbeat tempo and vocals with brilliant range from short fire growls to long-winded notes. “Sleeping Giant” slows the pace somewhat and can easily be said to be one of the most beautiful tracks on the album, with great tempo changes and some truly inspiring guitar work. “Colony of Birchmen” however is a real stand out with sensational drumming, memorable lyrics and an ace riff that is impossible to forget. Blood Mountain makes it as one of my picks for this decade as it truly is a unique, wonderful, surreal and supercharged take on metal music. Truly refreshing.

Heaven and Hell – The Devil You Know – 2008

It was 1992 since the last original work came from Ronnie James Dio, and with the news that he was reforming with his metal brothers from his Black Sabbath days, no doubt they were going to cook up something special, and by god they have. This is about as old school as you can get in the metal world as the whole album is brilliantly composed with licks reminiscent of the 70’s, but masterfully reinvigorated with years and years of experience gained from the god like Iommi, with solid and heavy riffs that dive in and out from being beautiful to just throw the devil horns epic. Dio may be allot older from his last outing, and his voice has matured noticeably, but what he has crafted is nothing short of excellent with notes and harmonies that are truly wonderful to hear. This makes it into my list as it is such a throw back to the days of yonder where metal was being forged from brutal hard work, and it is an album that should not be missed for metal fans.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I'm too lazy to write big reviews, but here's some of my favs from this decade:

E.S. Posthumus - Unearthed - 2001

E.S. Posthumus - Cartographer - 2007

E.S. Posthumus has put together some of the most beautiful music I know.

Daft Punk - Alive 2007 - 2007

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume 1 - 2005

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium - 2006

NIN - With Teeth - 2005

And finally, whatever album this song winds up on in the future.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
In no particular order, these are my favorite albums of the past decade.

ATB - DJ in the Mix 3 - 2006

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations - 2006

Sting - Brand New Day - 2004

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way - 2002

Gorillaz - Demon Days - 2005

Apollo 440 - Dude Descending a Staircase - 2003

Queen of the Damned Soundtrack - 2002

Sergio Mendes - Timeless - 2006

Bob Sinclar - Western Dream - 2006

Coldplay - X & Y - 2005

I could go on there are still some abums that i can put here, but this should be enough.

I might comment on these later.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
It would definitely be appreciated to at least put down a small description of what makes the album so great. If it's that good for you to mention it here, you should be able to talk about it with a passion. Otherwise this thread will just turn out in a list of images no one cares about, something not even interesting to read.

-----------
Nice list you have there Snicko. You have me interested in the Maiden album, when I can get it for a nice price I'll definitely get it.

Allen / Lande - The Battle (2005)
Starting out with this album, I found it pretty hard recommending albums, as most of them are too specific for my taste and definitely don't always deserve the label of "Classic". This album, The Battle, by Allen / Lande is a miracle though. Don't be fooled by the cover, this album produced by Magnus Karlsson this album is full of great heavy metal songs with a strong hard rock spirit. It features two singers, Russell Allen and Jørn Lande, both possessing great and powerful hard rock voices. The songs are all very well written ranging from uptempo melodic metal beats to some brilliant ballads. Full of catchy riffs, it's an album recommended to any classic hardrock fan and modern metalhead.

Masterplan - Masterplan (2003)
Formed by former Helloween members Uli Kusch and Roland Grapow, it's a heavy metal essential, no filler all killer. It certainly helps having Jørn Lande on vocals, his voice shining even brighter than on The Battle, I definitely rank this album higher too. All songs are well written with a lot of detail for lyrics, which for a change sound inspired and passionate, rather than the next band singing about eagles flying through the flames. The dark Crystal Night, remembering the "Kristallnacht" from the era when Hitler rose to power confirmed it. Brilliant guitar riffs, epic powerful vocals and great songwriting, it's all there. They even threw in a song with the Micheal Kiske ;)
For a sample just watch this video, which is pure magic. Good news for the fans: Jorn will most likely be back with this band for the next album.

Rage - Soundchaser (2003)

Rage, 25 years of heavy metal mania. These guys have been around for a while, with this probably being my favorite composition, with the band consisting of Peavy on bass and vocals, Viktor Smolski on guitar, and Mike Terrana on drums. All three are musicians of great skills, both technically and creatively, and it shows best on this album. The concept is about the "Soundchaser", a biomechanical creature set to end the mess that is this world, yet it becomes rational of its feelings and wants to know more about this world and its own history. Each song on this album is worth listening, ranging from pounding crunchers like Soundchaser to the long epic Falling from Grace. It's hard to categorize it, but any fan of both heavy metal and perhaps even melodic thrash metal should look up this one. Metal at its finest.

Ayreon - The Dream Sequencer (2000)
Also part of "The Universal Migrator", which also contains the "Flight of the Migrator" album

Mastermind Arjen Lucassen created a beautiful concept album with great guest artists. It takes the listener on a trip starting out in 2048, where the last human being is still alive in his house on the planet Mars. From there a journey through the history of mankind is started, taking him past events such as the war that lead to the end of humanity, the first steps on the moon, the Dutch colonial age, the British sea faring era, Maya civilization, Druids at the creation of Stonehenge, and eventually the first man on Earth.

It is presented in an album that transfers from one song to another in a beautiful fluid way. It is hard to categorize this album, as it's not "progressive metal" as most of Ayreon's albums, however it certainly didn't loose the progressive part. Fans from Ayreon know what I mean ;) It is simply a beautiful album full of inspiration, made by brilliant musicians.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Heaven and Hell – The Devil You Know – 2008

It was 1992 since the last original work came from Ronnie James Dio, and with the news that he was reforming with his metal brothers from his Black Sabbath days, no doubt they were going to cook up something special, and by god they have. This is about as old school as you can get in the metal world as the whole album is brilliantly composed with licks reminiscent of the 70’s, but masterfully reinvigorated with years and years of experience gained from the god like Iommi, with solid and heavy riffs that dive in and out from being beautiful to just throw the devil horns epic. Dio may be allot older from his last outing, and his voice has matured noticeably, but what he has crafted is nothing short of excellent with notes and harmonies that are truly wonderful to hear. This makes it into my list as it is such a throw back to the days of yonder where metal was being forged from brutal hard work, and it is an album that should not be missed for metal fans.
How the hell did i not hear about this album.

edit: gah cant stop listening to it.

anyway lets get the albums over with

Judas priest Nostradamus

No need for a big review here, ill just post a video to show the greatness instead

Summoning Oath Bound

too epic for words, just pure epicness in a cd.

Iron maiden Dance of death. Mostly because A matter of Life and Death has already been said.

Im bad at descriptions as you have probably noteced but just listen to the song dance of death, you will see why i like this album.

Yeh i know theres not many albums there to be honest i havent listend to much music from this time period.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Thanks for reminding me of Nostradamus Zidine ;) There's a similar album which is highly overlooked, probably because the composer is the Bulgarian Nikolo Kotzev, from Brazen Abbot. The album is titled "Nikolo Kotzev's Nostradamus" and is a true rock opera with metal influences. If you like stuff like Avantasia or Meat Loaf's Steinman albums, this is definitely recommended. Heck I'd recommend it to fans of Jesus Christ Superstar :heh:

It's a fantastically arranged album with powerful songs and great vocalists. Joe Lynn Turner taking the role of Nostradamus, Glenn Hughes the role of King Henri II, and Jorn Lande (yeah, him again, I'm a fan I could say) the role of the Inquisitor. All among others. Fully orchestrated but with pure metal melodies at the same time, this is an epic piece you should not miss. I listened to the Judas Priest song Zidine linked, but it sounded too much straightforward metal to me that certainly doesn't fit the theme of Nostradamus at all.

The song above shows the cover as well. It's about World War II, and the role propaganda played in it.
The only downside of this album is that it's near impossible to purchase for an acceptable price. Otherwise it's a brilliant piece of musicianship that's highly underrated.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Alter Bridge - Blackbird (2007)

Heavy and melodic, this album made me an instant Alter Bridge fan. Its albums like this that make hard rock worth listening to. Simply amazing.
(Favourite tracks - Ties That Bind, White Knuckles, Coming Home)

Chevelle - Vena Sera (2007)

Another Hard Rock masterpiece. With a unique voice, and some excellent guitar work to back it up, Vena Sera is one of the few albums that competes with Blackbird in said genre. Another must have if you're into Heavy Rock.
(Favourite Tracks - Braniac, Straight Jacket Fashion, The Fad)

Daft Punk - Alive (2007)

A partially live album that is essentially most of their hits merged together, producing arguably the best bit of Electronica I've ever heard. You can almost feel the tracks hit you wave after wave of sheer electronica brilliance. Definitely Daft Punk's best album.
(Favourite Tracks - Around The World / Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger; The Prime Time of Your Life / The Brainwasher / Rollin' & Scratchin' / Alive; Too Long / Steam Machine)

Nickelback - The Long Road (2003)

Being quite the fan of Nickelback its hard not to praise this album as being one of the best of the decade. As with most Nickelback songs, they actually have a genuine meaning behind them, and this album is definitely the one with the best narrations. Even if, not quite as up beat as their newest album (Dark Horse), it still manages to surpass in terms of quality out of better originality, and better narration.
(Favourite Tracks - Someday, Should've Listened, Flat On The Floor)

Papa Roach - The Paramour Sessions (2006)

Paramour are known to have quite the identity crisis... Drifting between heavy rock, emo, and alternative over the years. Fortunately amongst the medley of genres that they play, came this Rock masterpiece. Scrapping most of the rapping and self pity, The Paramour Sessions is an album that mostly speaks of confusion and mistakes, but in a way that manages to hype you up at the same time.
(Favourite Tracks - To Be Loved..., Crash, No More Secrets)

Shinedown - The Sound of Madness (2008)

A band I came across out of sheer luck, this album is a shining example of what they're capable of. Managing to bring out a whole slew of emotions over just 11 tracks, this is definitely one the few Rock albums not to overlook.
(Favourite Tracks - Sin With A Grin, What A Shame, Sound of Madness)

·
!
6,312 Posts
3 Doors Down - The Better Life (2000-2001)

3 Doors Down - Away from the sun (2002)

One of the best Alternative rock albums i've heard.

Backstreet Boys - Millennium (2002)

The best Pop band ever.

Blue - All Rise (2001)

Awesome Pop music.

Britney Spears - Britney (2001)

Britney at her best.

Craig David - Born To Do It (2000)

He was born to do it!

Creed - Weathered [2001]

Daft Punk - Discovery (2001)

Best electronic music ever!

John Mayer - Room for Squares (2001)

*NSYNC - Greatest Hits (2005)

Outlandish - Closer Than Veins (2005)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000)

Sugar Ray - Sugar Ray (2001)
Awesomeness :D

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Aw man Cheesus. I was right there with ya until I saw the Nickelback album. Dood. :(
Hey, some people like to listen to opera when they're alone, some country, **** a few even listen to pop...

Me, I listen to Nickelback. I like it. Sue me xD

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Aw man Cheesus. I was right there with ya until I saw the Nickelback album. Dood. :(
Haha. Indeed...

Rough list: all of Arctic Monkey's, Franz Ferdinand's, and Muse's albums. As well as The Films' first album.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.