Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my unpleasant surprise I was presented the attached screen this morning upon trying to log in to the forums. I immediately started to reason if this could be a misplaced joke, or if I perhaps had placed an inappropriate message. I could not remember any of these in the past couple of days ever since my return from my holiday.

What also struck me is that it was a permanent ban, while I have a clean record. I don't know what happened and who was responsible for this, but I am happy an admin was friendly enough to at least help me back on the forums so I could at least ask for a clarification. This isn't the normal procedure, and these things don't happen by accident either, so I seriously wonder what went wrong. And if, for whatever reason, there is a valid reason to give me capital punishment here on the forums, why was I not given a PM with an explanation, or a warning.

This is highly unreasonable, hence why I am addressing this, hoping that the staff can at least give me an explanation (whether in PM or here, I don't care), and to perhaps go through their own ranks if something went wrong there.

Cid H.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Whoah this is really serious.
Strange this happened to you, one of the best members here.
I hope that you resolve this issue without any problems, because I would not like you to take extreme actions based on this. ex: like leaving.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Probably a spambot spammed these last 24 hours, was banned and alll accounts using the same IP were terminated as well. Time to update it, btw.

Jonc once noticed CKemu was mentioned on a list of accounts associated with a spambot, 2 weeks ago (obviously, mods cant ban admins, but ck might not have appreciated too much to be flagged as spammer by a flawed antispam script and banned).

I doubt it was anything more serious than that, given how irreproachable you (Cid) are.
(a script inducing a mod into confirming ban of a list of accounts that seemed -to the script- as associated with spam without checking the whole list of these accounts, to avoid incidents like this)

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Pretty sure it was a software bug. That's the only option. No reason in earth for you to get banned. ****ing seriously.

How can you be spamming if you're not even posting recently?

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
The funny thing is, is that it hasn't banned the actual bots but legit members themselves. If it uses akismet then it's flawed, I ran into the same issue with Mybb and akismet a while ago and had to disable it entirely.

Perhaps tweaking it to differentiate between legit members and bots, using popular phrases and keywords that are common by spammers/bots might work if the anti-spam system has such an option.

Although nothing beats the simplistic system of having a anti-spam question upon registration which I have now suggested several times and can prevent automated registrations.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Spamkill got me as well, Prafull caught it and fixed it up right quick.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
The funny thing is, is that it hasn't banned the actual bots but legit members themselves. If it uses akismet then it's flawed, I ran into the same issue with Mybb and akismet a while ago and had to disable it entirely.
Whitelisting members above 50 posts or specific groups from being touched by that script could do (an idea for the mod author, if its not implemented).

Perhaps tweaking it to differentiate between legit members and bots, using popular phrases and keywords that are common by spammers/bots might work if the anti-spam system has such an option.
Its still beta and not ready for live use.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The Spam Killer plugin has been removed.

If this has happened to anyone else, PLEASE contact an admin so we can get it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Just to confirm, was it indeed that plugin that caused this issue as mentioned earlier?

Check logs, unban the unfairly banned.
The specific moderative edit that had cid thrown out from the ng walls could be reviewed, for the fulle list of the accounts affected (this scrutinity could be extended to other recent ones, though it is unlikely anyone but lowly-used and inactive accounts (w)couldve been affected).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Check logs, unban the unfairly banned.
I'm afraid I don't know every user on the forum and the logs go back to 2002.

Just to confirm, was it indeed that plugin that caused this issue as mentioned earlier?
It's the only thing I can think of.
I looked at the control panel log going all the way back to December and the only people to touch Cid's account were Kirby and I and none of the actions were a ban.
There's a thread in the admin forum already about how it doesn't always work so screw it. If it's buggy, just scrap it.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
The Spam Killer plugin has been removed.

If this has happened to anyone else, PLEASE contact an admin so we can get it fixed.
this is the shot of the list it gave me after using it to spaminate a bot a few weeks ago, i dont know if it actually nailed any of them but you might want to check anyway. btw the cat was just used to express my horror of seeing CK on the list.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And what about The Magic Hobo then? He's a legimate user, unless I missed something. And what's Clements doing on that list? He's an old timer as well.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Will we have to resort to captcha if no other alternative is available?
I think we use captcha now.

These are unrelated. This was a plug in that put a little ban button with every post to make things quick and easy for the mods. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it was used on the forum when we got here and we don't use it anywhere else so I'm not so familiar with it.)

this is the shot of the list it gave me after using it to spaminate a bot a few weeks ago, i dont know if it actually nailed any of them but you might want to check anyway. btw the cat was just used to express my horror of seeing CK on the list.

That's just a list of people that have used the same IP. Incase the spammer has dupes.
I checked The Magic Hobo since his name was mentioned and he's not banned.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I also noticed the "post pictures of your new games" thread was deleted by this thing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts