Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after all these years internet explorer has been a hog for the cpu finally the issue has been adressed in windows 7. by going to control panel and clicking on add and remove tab and accessing turn off windows features you can finally disable windows internet explorer by unchecking the box. by doing this requires two reboots for windows to configure system settings and now the Os runs even more faster. which saves you 20% cpu usage.

my system specs
os windows 7
ram 2 gigs
video Geforce 9800 gtx+ 500mb
cpu athon x2 4200+ OC to 3.5 GHz
direct x 10

·
Premium Member
8,394 Posts
LOL, talk about overexagerating.
IE was never a hog... it was just bad at what it did (not so true with IE8 now). It did not cripple your PC when it wasn't opened (20%....ha!)

This is simply an option to please a small group of users that don't want unused software installed on their machines... (its not like IE had a huge footprint too...)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I read this before.

MS is making it easier to disable windows media player and movie maker too.
windows 7 is trully a great os it offers limitless posibilities it even runs pcsx2 at faster framerates as well even tho i dual boot to xp sometimes. i can even play crysis at very high settings and frames are at a constant 60 frames. and also the windows 7 interface is fully takes advantage of touchscreens as well

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
You can disable access to IE in XP and Vista now as it is....

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
You can disable access to IE in XP and Vista now as it is....
I find it still a darn difficult thing to do though. MSN Messenger and several other programs still default to Explorer no matter what I set in "Program Access and Defaults"

I certainly won't delete IE, and I doubt you fully can. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd simply remove the executable or so, seeing how it is so woven together with the OS, you simply won't be able to browse your HDD without it.

·
Insane Linux Advocate
289 Posts
I certainly won't delete IE, and I doubt you fully can. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd simply remove the executable or so, seeing how it is so woven together with the OS, you simply won't be able to browse your HDD without it.
This is exactly what it does -- removes the actual "iexplore" executable and related files. The Explorer engine remains as it is used in a ton of things.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If there's no real increase in gaming performance from Windows 7 then I really don't think a full reformat is worth the effort especially with my banged-up hard drives.
atctualy its a huge improvement and a big increase in gaming windows 7 is built to be user friendly to where the user can customize there os to what ever needs they want and a big plus is that windows 7 takes advantage of touchscreens its really worth the upgrade

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
I find it still a darn difficult thing to do though. MSN Messenger and several other programs still default to Explorer no matter what I set in "Program Access and Defaults"

WLM 9 is the first time they actually open mail, live and other web opening menu items in the default browser. Rather then always using IE.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
windows 7 hasn't been introduced yet.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,425 Posts
nah just went from windows xp the beast to windows 7 the monster. however vista just a heavy os that slows your computer down. problem was fixed when they introduced windows 7.
Is that so? Then how do you explain why most (if not all) notebooks/laptops on retail stores ran Windows Vista perfectly fine? I have a laptop with Core 2 cpu at 2Ghz with 2gb of ram and an integrated video card and it ran Windows Vista like smooth butter =)

Oh by the way, these days when u buy a computer it comes with a pre-installed Windows Vista ;) If you want XP then expect to pay a full priced Windows XP =) The only bad thing is that its can't play games so well because it wasn't meant to be a gaming pc.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.