Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the title is probably making you think WTF??? but my motherboard fried and I am GLAD!!!! My computer had a stupid PC CHIPS motherboard in it that was TOTALLY bottlenecking my system. And my computer is still under warranty, and they are replacing it with a different motherboard. If I heard the guy right, the are replacing it with this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-139-142&DEPA=1

which looks pretty kick ass....and for being their pick on a free warranty service is pretty amazing, considering the motherboard I would like to have, the Abit N7F-S is actually cheaper than it now. So what do you guys think of the Soyo Dragons? Does anybody have (or had?) that motherboard? From the reviews I have read so far, it looks like it is rock solid, fast and stable....I'm so hoping my computer is going to be alot better now.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Nice one :)
Don't forget to kick the onboard sound card in the BIOS ;)

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, this motherboard looks like it might have better sound than my sound blaster live since it says it has six channel and the sound blaster has 5.1 also the onboard audio might be 24 bit as opposed to the sound blasters 16 bit. so would the onboard audio be better than my sound card?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
C-media chips suck a lot... I have a Cmedia PCI card myself, the sound out is ok, but the sound recording is awful

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
5.1 is six channels. The .1 part is for the subwoofer and the other five channels are for the other speakers.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Personaly I'd rather hade the NF7-S so I can have the soudstorm, but it looks a nice board.

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
Personaly I'd rather hade the NF7-S so I can have the soudstorm, but it looks a nice board.
the nf7-s really was the definitive socket A board. nothing else came close to bringing everything together like the nf7-s did.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
james.miller said:
the nf7-s really was the definitive socket A board. nothing else came close to bringing everything together like the nf7-s did.
Uh... The Asus A7N8X-DLX Series...

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
yes but they never overclocked as well (and were far more prone to bios corruption)

the lanparties were faster, and the a7n8x-e's were more feature rich, but the nf7's provided the best package, despite their varying success when it came to overclocking. It's also worth nothing that they are cheap than either the dfi's or the asus boards.

·
Registered
226 Posts
wow you're lucky :p I would have been glad too :p That's a huge improvement. It has Raid. I bet your pc chips doesnt have raid. The only thing I dont like it's a Via chipset. But that's ok I guess ;)

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never heard anything too bad about via chipsets...and I've also never messed with raid either....what advantages does it really have???

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
james.miller said:
yes but they never overclocked as well (and were far more prone to bios corruption)

the lanparties were faster, and the a7n8x-e's were more feature rich, but the nf7's provided the best package, despite their varying success when it came to overclocking. It's also worth nothing that they are cheap than either the dfi's or the asus boards.
Speaking of the A7N8X-E, I've got the deluxe version. I never even considered the NF7.:p Gotta love the soundstorm though.

Well as for overclocking, my chip unfortunately won't go any higher. It's a Palomino.:p

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
hrrm looks like your getting an older chipset :p Normally you wont realize any difference between nForce, Intel or Via chipsets. But I prefer nForce :p If you want to oc then NForce chipsets are the best. Or you can oc too with a Via chipset. I had the Kt400 chipset I was able to oc from 1.8 too 2.0. But ocing depends on which memory or psu you have. Make sure you get the latest Via drivers (Via 8 in 1 was it name?). Having latest drivers always kick ass ;)

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
Jldnr77 said:
Actually, this motherboard looks like it might have better sound than my sound blaster live since it says it has six channel and the sound blaster has 5.1 also the onboard audio might be 24 bit as opposed to the sound blasters 16 bit. so would the onboard audio be better than my sound card?
6channel is 5.1, most likey its realtek but ur sblive 5.1 is still better then any onboard sound execpt Soundstorm.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Definitely keep the Live! card, my onboard AC97 (Soundstorm is for digital audio) isn't as clear as my friend's Live!.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, I'm thinking about uninstalling my Live! card temporarily and seeing how the onboard does....cause VBA sounds BAD on my Live! card....

Edit: Well, I just uninstalled my SB Live! and installed the onboard audio....you guys were right....the SB kicks it's a$$ out the door....still having problems with VBA though....think I'll go see if RascalBoy Advance works good with a soundblaster...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts