Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was I just imagining it or did I read some where that ATI cards don't support the 2, "Very High" Y resolution mode from Pete's OpenGL 2 renderer? I have a 9800 Pro and I enabled Y2 in Final Fantasy VII and it worked fine without crashing but I don't know if I could tell the difference from when it was set to 1, "High". When I enabled Y2 in Lunar 2, the image became distorted. When I had a GeForce FX5700 Ultra I could visibley see the difference between the two settings in FFVII and Y2 was better. I thought my 9800 Pro was an upgrade to the 5700 Ultra based on what I read (before the last OpenGL 2 release), now I'm not so sure how much of an upgrade it really was in terms of emulation. For PC games, I'm pretty sure the 9800 Pro is better because of the 256-bit memory interface. Games running smoothly in X1 and Y1 with all other settings maxed out is a pretty good accomplishment in its' self so it doesn't bother me that much. I'm sure won't be too long before ATI or NVIDIA releases a card that can run X2, Y2 if they haven't already..

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
actually ATI cards don't support Very High X. this is due to ATi cards not supporting 4096x4096 textures like Geforce FX and higher does. don't get your hopes up for ATI support anytime soon, even the x800 doesn't have 4096x4096 textures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hushypushy said:
actually ATI cards don't support Very High X. this is due to ATi cards not supporting 4096x4096 textures like Geforce FX and higher does. don't get your hopes up for ATI support anytime soon, even the x800 doesn't have 4096x4096 textures.
What Texture resolution does the "High" setting display at? Because, frankly, it looks terrible.

While it's a shame that ATi cards don't support 4096x4096 textures, I can't imagine anything outside of emulators using textures that ludicrously high res any time soon.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
it's not the actual resolution, just texture resolution. LFS (live for speed) uses 4096x4096 textures. basically High doubles the size and Very High quadruples it. it takes A LOT of vram to run Very High X and Y, 128mb cards barely cut it (apparently).

from the readme:

Note: the fullscreen/window size does (unlike my other hw/accel plugins)
not influence the image quality much (for displaying the game more "hires"):
the "Internal X/Y resolution" options are controlling the image quality.

The "low" settings produce an original PSX alike display, like a soft
gpu plugin.
The "high" settings double the resolution, producing a much nicer hires
screen.
The "very high" settings are offering the best hires quality, but sorry to
say: only the "very high" Y resolution will work with nowadays cards
and drivers, the X one will most likely crash or give an error messagebox.
Only known exception: GeForceFX cards with the latest drivers (Forceware 5X.XX).

You can combine different X and Y settings without any compatibility
problems, therefore the best possible quality settings for most cards are
"high X" and "very high Y" right now.

I recommend the "low" settings only with 32 MB cards (if you really want to
try this plugin with such cards), since with X/Y resolution set to "low",
the plugin only needs up to 4 MByte initial vram.

Both settings to "high" will need additional 16 MByte vram, for example, and
both settings to "very high" would need 64 MB vram... all values just to start
the plugin, without any texture loaded.

Recommended settings for 64 MB cards are X and Y set to "high", and with
128 MB cards you can use the X=high, Y=very high settings without problems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
it works fine on GF 4 Ti already.
as stated you need drivers from the Forceware 50.xx series. (50.xx to <55.xx)

still it's frustrating it doesn't work on more recent hardware and drivers...

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
hmm, when i get a new mobo for my pr0nster (i think i killed the mobo and maybe the CPU) i'll try it out with the 6x.xx series. it's not that i dont trust you, i just want a backup for you ;)

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
NVidia added support for up to 4096x4096 texture sizes in later drivers, even on GF4 cards, true. But since most GF4 cards only have 64 MB vram I wouldn't suggest to use the "very high" settings on those.

Anyway, just to make that clear:

low X = 1024 texture width
high X = 2048 texture width
very high X = 4096 texture width

low Y = 512 texture height
high Y = 1024 texture height
very high Y = 2048 texture height

therefore, because of hardware limitations, the current ATI cards (yeah, up to the X800 ones) can only do "high X + very high Y" (=2048x2048 texture size). AFAIK, no Catalyst driver update can ever change that, sad but true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts