Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried the SMS player, a program for playing xvid/divx-decoded material and more on your ps2.

The reason for it to be able to play my movies on my "old" television (neither LCD or PLASMA and RGB-Scart as the most fitting connection for great picture quality) with better quality than what an s-video output from the computer can give, since my ps2 is hooked up with an RGB-scartm which don't have the artifacts of the s-video signal and have a much sharper picture with better colours - though those that i am mostly directing my question to - people that have had a similar interest in good picture quality - should know this already.

I looked for a solution for playing divx and xvid on my ps2 after trying out a friends stand-alone DVD-video player, that also had xvid/divx-playback-capabilities, and were very impressed with the quality of the movies, as opposed as the s-video solution from the computer i mentioned earlier.

Well, about my question then: Do you know any "better" alternative than the SMS-player for ps2, as in terms of picture quality?, (since when i compared the ps2+sms-player solution i found it nicer than computer -> s-video -> tv, but not as nice as my friends standalone-dvd-player playing xvid/divx)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
SMS Player itself just isn't very optimized for MPEG-4 ASP content.

I never messed around too much with homebrew on the PS2, but if you have a homebrew enabled Wii, you can get MplayerCE which can play almost any digital video format and supports video streaming over a local wireless network.

If you see an HDTV in your future, you can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect and receive unlimited video format support for all video types.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SMS Player itself just isn't very optimized for MPEG-4 ASP content.

I never messed around too much with homebrew on the PS2, but if you have a homebrew enabled Wii, you can get MplayerCE which can play almost any digital video format and supports video streaming over a local wireless network.

If you see an HDTV in your future, you can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect and receive unlimited video format support for all video types.
The Wii-solution sounds tempting, i'll look into it! :)

I definitely see a HDTV in my future, preferably a phillips or sony 1080p cabaple one, but i'm behind in the economy department - my holy relic of a computer could be a proof of that, i need a new computer and a ps3 and a new surround receiver and and.. well i guess it's a question of priorities :)

Better, no.
PS2 Reality doesnt really cut it.
I guess i will have to make do with sms player then. It isn't really all that bad quality, just in comparison to what i saw on the stand-alone dvd-xvid/divx-player.
Or maybe i'll buy a decent stand alone dvd-player with those capabilites, to make the best of the old xvid/divx formats (which still are going strong, even though H264 is better). Anyone know of a stand alone dvd-player that does H/X264 by the way?

The quality of video output on the PS2 is great anyways, among the best quality dvd-players (when playing dvd/mpeg2 and using RGB) i have tested anyways :)

Oh, and star wars ep 2 and 3 are (and perhaps 1) are badass reference material, since both the digital filming, and the enconding on the retail discs are pure eye-candy. :)

A bit of blabla on my part, i'm sorry, but i am overtired and the bed is this lizards next stop.

Be well, and thanks for all the fish. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts