Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Since I have the mod powers to do so, I'll go ahead and move this. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's interesting because it shows initial steps towards "Low Level Emulation", one of two broad paths towards emulation.

Low Level Emulation is technically more complex, although can leverage off more work undertaken by other projects -- a la qemu -- to emulate. It needs certain binary files from the Xbox though, such as the BIOS. It is the BIOS which appears to be booting and partially running in the image.

"High Level Emulation" is the path taken by cxbx, dxbx and other earlier emulators. It faces a different set of difficult challenges to work fully.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Call me stupid, but why is this interesting?
If I called you stupid, would you be offended? :rolleyes:

No, but seriously, this is a feat and has never been done before. There's been more than enough talk of using QEMU as a starting point for LLE, but espes was able to put theory into practice successfully.

You started a thread asking will there ever be a highly compatible Xbox emu (which I closed because that question has been asked and answered articulately a million times), then you complain about progress on a properly written one is being made?! Can't you just be appreciative of the work that's being done to erase the old and unfeasable tradition of HLE?? Or do you think emulators should just "magically" have 30%+ compatibility rates out of the box? Hm?

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Well, it should be common sense considering that the Xbox BIOS has never been fully emulated before....

I also noticed that there's no error code at the top right hand corner of the screen. That error code usually helps diagnose what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Good work. Sorry I'm never around to help out. I have a full time contract at M$ now plus chugging away at my own IP (my games) so focusing on my financial concerns is my top priority atm. >.<

Would like to share this on Youtube, if you don't mind. ^_^

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Way cool!!! I was already half expecting this when I saw your recent git commits.
Do you need help with the pixel and vertex shader transforms? Or was the code I gave you enough?
Again, I'm really thrilled that you've got this working so well - I'm guessing it won't be long now before you can run actual games
If you want, I can arrange a few homebrew xbe's to test with??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you need help with the pixel and vertex shader transforms?
So the current weird thing is still properly mapping vertex shader output to clip coords. My last commit of re-multiplying by oPos.w is very incorrect since there are shaders that leave the result as infinity, but otherwise I haven't been able to pin down the corruption in DolphinClassic (http://i.imgur.com/eYB8dGa.png). I assume it's vertices behind the viewport that aren't being clipped properly (the w components are all <=0, which doesn't make much sense) but I've tried the obvious things.

The pixel shader translation there seems to work well enough for now, but vertex shader translation will need to be modified eventually to output GLSL.

I'm guessing it won't be long now before you can run actual games
Some basic things would properly already display, but I've been lazy and haven't gotten around to fixing the cmos stuff that forces the bios to boot straight to the dashboard settings page.

If you want, I can arrange a few homebrew xbe's to test with??
If you have some particularly useful ones lying around then sure, send them along? Right now I want to get something like a virtual fatx block device up, or at least a simple tool to build fatx images since that'll make testing a lot less painful.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I gave up on Dxbx, I had huge problems with vertex coordinates as well, but you've already surpassed my results, so please, try to hang on, because you're definately on the right track here. I'm sorry I can't help (much).

Regarding homebrew, I'll have a look for you tonight.

Right now I want to get something like a virtual fatx block device up, or at least a simple tool to build fatx images since that'll make testing a lot less painful.
Maybe you can use http://sourceforge.net/p/dxbx/svn/HEAD/tree/Source/Delphi/src/uXDVDFS.pas as inspiration for that.

Perhaps a silly question, but could your current code be ported over to Bochs and/or MESS too?
(Although I suspect the pure-software-based philosophy of the latter project will result in a resounding "No" ;) )

1 - 20 of 32 Posts