Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is a non-working CPU and I'm thinking about RMA it. I'm not sure how it died; does it look RMA-able? I've never dealt with AMD's RMA before. What type of questions do they ask you and how easy/hard is it to get an RMA from AMD? Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Huh? I think I see pencil marks in between almost every bridge.. if so, try erasing all of them and trying it again. Just so you know.. graphite is conductive thus why pencils are used to mod some AMD CPUs and most videocards to connect pins/bridges, etc.

If not, you'll need the original box, HSF, and CPU to get an RMA from AMD. OEM CPUs must be sent back to the seller, AMD only warrants its boxed processors.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those aren't pencil marks; they are my bad picture taking skills. This CPU isn't pencil-tricked nor OCed, ever. It is a retailed CPU and I do have everything saved. I thought the black marks at the left side of the dye are 'burned' marks. It died after about 15 seconds or so after boot up. I know it's dead for sure since I tested everything else with another CPU (what I'm using right now). Sorry about the 3rd grade writing abillity.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
cooliscool said:
Huh? I think I see pencil marks in between almost every bridge.. if so, try erasing all of them and trying it again. Just so you know.. graphite is conductive thus why pencils are used to mod some AMD CPUs and most videocards to connect pins/bridges, etc.
I used to have the same chip. The old pencil trick doesn't work on the newer Athlon's because there are small pits in between the bridges. You have to fill in the pits and then use some conductive paint to connect the bridges. Apparently the pencil trick only works on the Ceramic Thunderbirds. I have successfully done both mods, one on a 1100 Thunderbird and an 1800+ Palomino.

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
yeah they are marks left from the laser-cuts. The black marks on the left side of the die arent burn marks it is the sealent used to fill in the gaps between the core and the board material.

Look for small chips in the core - it looks like there *could* be a chip in the upper right in that picture, but its hard to tell.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is another picture. What's a 'chip' and what does it look like?
BTW, I used isopropyl alcohol (91% pure) to clean up the goo on the CPU; is it OK if it went all over it? What can I use to scratch off the residue? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Using alcohol is fine as long as you let it dry. You can use a towel or anything to get it off.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...some alcohol got to the bottom of the CPU and don't seem to be drying. It's really weird; I even let a fan blow on it for a while. Would that be a problem if I run the chip (I'm going to be changing heatsink/fan for the CPU I'm using soon)? Since alcohol is flammable...would it light up or something?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Nope.. if not wiped off alcohol leaves a stain giving the illusion of not being dry, although it most likely is. Regardless, it won't light up because there's no spark/flame (at least there shouldn't be ;)). Heat alone won't cause it to light.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see, thanks :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts