·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I explain the issue, some brief comp specs:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo @ 2.13GHz
Graphics: ASUS 1GB EAH3850 series
RAM: 2GB

Admittedly, with those specs I didn't expect anything to run particularly well. Reading a few posts here on Xenosaga, I didn't think it would work at all - and yet I have it running mostly on or around 60 fps, but with some graphical glitches.

Here's a few screenshots of the problem, although I haven't really played far enough into the game to have a proper summary as such:

KOS-MOS and Shion are facing an enemy here which doesn't show at all:

Most of these are relative minor glitches in the grand scheme of things, but it sure would be nice to remove them (The game has no obvious graphical glitches using Gdsx, but it runs absolutely sluggishly on something like 10fps at the absolute maximum)

Using ZeroGS KOSMOS plugin with game options value 0x09c40400, default cycle rate, VU frame skipping. I saw someone else had problems with 'hair-clipping' in FFX, but seeing as the screenshots for that are down I can't tell if it's the same problem or not.

Any help's appreciated.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
-Get the newest beta of pcsx2 and plugins
-Tweak GSdx so it runs fast (it should be faster than ZeroGS in this game)
-Forget about VUskip, try VU cycle stealing from the beta instead
-With a few speedhacks you should be able to get mostly fullspeed in this game

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, currently running beta 1888 with Gsdx 1873 SSE2. Using moderate VU cycle stealing, default cycle rate, and no frame skipping. Enabled all EE and VU misc speed hacks.

Having trouble understanding exactly how Gsdx can be tweaked... it doesn't seem to have many options :S

Comparing the same part of the game, which tends to run slowly, the old configuration is running about 46FPS while the beta is struggling around 27-30ish. The sound seems to be running slightly faster than the graphics, and so it's getting out of sync.

EDIT: Graphics issues worse than first thought. Seems a lot of things aren't showing when they're meant to :<

EDIT: From what I can see, VU cycle stealing is the source of this sync-disaster. Any attempt to use it results in the sound going much faster than the graphics (which I've managed to get to about 45FPS using the software-rendering option)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Ok, so you're having the infamous "ATI issue". That means for some not yet known reason some ATI cards (yours apparently) get very low speeds in GSdx.

Since you can basically forget about ZeroGS, I recommend you try a bit older GSdx revisions.
Search this forum for "ati issue", and you might get some more info about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmmm... I have a laptop with roughly similar processor, but less capable NVidia graphics. Going to see what it makes of this, as whenever anything happens with my desktop the words "infamous ATI issue" seem to appear very quickly :<

EDIT: Exactly the same on laptop. Any attempt to use VU cycle stealing causes loss of sync.

However, i get the feeling i'm testing a part of the game that is *never* going to run properly. At the moment most of the actual battles and such are running at 60FPS on laptop and 45FPS on desktop. Useless, ****ty ATI. I imagine this is the best it is going to get, so I'll give it a few hours of game time and see how other things run. Looks good.... in the first three minutes, anyway.

Thanks very much for the help, rama!

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
With the later SVNs, i cant seem to get xenosaga 1 to even run. I get to the start screen, press start, and it sucks me into a black hole with the radar on. lol its weird, hard to explain too. Tried shifting around all settings already.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Ok, so you're having the infamous "ATI issue". That means for some not yet known reason some ATI cards (yours apparently) get very low speeds in GSdx.

Since you can basically forget about ZeroGS, I recommend you try a bit older GSdx revisions.
Search this forum for "ati issue", and you might get some more info about it.
I tried Xenosaga with all kind of GSDX revisions new or older in neither it didn't show any improvement VU stealing breaks many games for me as well, but without it some work pretty good, also from what i know the ati issues where fixed with the latest GSDX revisions.

·
Tyrant
555 Posts
Have you tried zzOGL yet?
It's a much improved version of ZeroGS.
Search the thread from the last page back and you will find the latest version very easily.
(They don't update the first page!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So before I explain the issue, some brief comp specs:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo @ 2.13GHz
Graphics: ASUS 1GB EAH3850 series
RAM: 2GB

Admittedly, with those specs I didn't expect anything to run particularly well. Reading a few posts here on Xenosaga, I didn't think it would work at all - and yet I have it running mostly on or around 60 fps, but with some graphical glitches.

Here's a few screenshots of the problem, although I haven't really played far enough into the game to have a proper summary as such:

KOS-MOS and Shion are facing an enemy here which doesn't show at all:

Most of these are relative minor glitches in the grand scheme of things, but it sure would be nice to remove them (The game has no obvious graphical glitches using Gdsx, but it runs absolutely sluggishly on something like 10fps at the absolute maximum)

Using ZeroGS KOSMOS plugin with game options value 0x09c40400, default cycle rate, VU frame skipping. I saw someone else had problems with 'hair-clipping' in FFX, but seeing as the screenshots for that are down I can't tell if it's the same problem or not.

Any help's appreciated.
I also have about the same specs: Intel e8200 @ 2.66, 2GB RAM, 9600GT 512MB, WinXP, DirectX 9. Can you elaborate how you did this using the GUI? I have mine run at default values and I get about 12fps in game. :(

Edit:Downloaded pcsx2 beta and gsdx beta....now I'm getting 50-55fps.....hurray! Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.