Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kane, you posted a Xenogears ePSXe config on your website a long time ago, but the link to the picture is broken now. The link was http://www.lordkane.co.uk/configimg/xeno.png

I'm just interested to know what you think are the optimal configs for Xenogears using Pete's OGL plugin. My specs are:

AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.7 GHz
512 MB DDR @ 333 MHz
nVidia GeForce4 MX 440-SE 64 MB
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Sound

Playing around, I found it looks best with no texture filtering, except 2xSal textures. For full battle effects (screen shattering at the beginning, etc.), you mentioned one of 2 combinations:

FT=2/FA=3 (graphics card heavy)
FT=0/FA=4 (CPU heavy)

Which do you think would work best with my specs? The only time I have slowdowns are during battles when using special attacks (like when Fei uses his Chi), at which point the framerate bogs down to ~30 FPS. I think this is completely due to the 2xSal textures. I figure it's probably my graphics card limitations, do you think getting a better card would fix this particular slowdown?

Does 16-bit or 32-bit make any difference with this game and what about offscreen drawing? If you could recommend some settings, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
The processor is more than enough. I haven't any experience with that game, but the following setup gave me the special effects in other games just fine when I had an MX440.

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 0

Not certain on that game, though you may want to try it. Generally, 16 bit is faster than 32 bit (though less colorful), but if you keep the resolution to 640x480 you should get full speed anyway. Not sure about offscreen drawing in that game either, but I usually leave it on 3 all the time, and if you get problems or slowdowns, try 2. High resolution textures will bog down an MX440 from my experience, so I'd leave that off.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
by the way, if you want to tell something specifically to someone, you can just PM them ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Storm Rider, why would I use a soft driver with a 3D game like Xenogears? That would make everything look like crap.

I was addressing Kane because he was the one who made that original config for this game on his site. But I left it open because I know he isn't the only plugin expert on these message boards. :nod:

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well i mean, your post was perfectly fine. but the part directly to lord kane, you coulda just stuck that in an email or PM ;)

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
I personally maxed out my settings for my Radeon 9000 using the Pete's OGL2 Plugin. Runs smoothly on my Sempron 2400+.
Without the use of shaders of course...they don't really blend well in/for the game.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 9000 DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 2
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 64 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60.0

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 1
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

·
Registered
9 Posts
SyntaX said:
Storm Rider, why would I use a soft driver with a 3D game like Xenogears? That would make everything look like crap.
It depends on PC-configuration, you know. :) For example, my system:

P4 2000 MHz,
DDR333 MHz, 512 MB,
GeForce4 MX440, 64 MB,

and I use only soft plugin for all the games I run on ePSXe. And they looked fine, as if I'm using original PSX and TV. :) Among these games there are: FF7,8,9; Legend of Dragoon; Legend of Mana, Front Mission3; Xenogears, Tales of Destiny 1,2; Vanguards Bandits, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Yeah, I'm afraid that image is gone....
I only just got my Xenogears discs back from my bro, so I might look at that over the weekend

1 - 10 of 10 Posts