Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of porting the pcsx2 to a xbox? I saw there's a port of pcsx to play psx games on xbox, I thought it would be awesome to play ps2 games on my xbox. Since the xbox XBE development kit is just a set of libraries for a c++ compiler. I was hoping that maybe it could be possible to link these libraries to your existing source code (assuming your using c++).

Now don't start flaming me, or opening a discussion, I was just wandering if it could be possible because it would be cool (don't it??). And if it is possible to do actually run it, maybe it is an option to make it happen, or place it on the roadmap.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
1) its imposible to port pcsx to xbox because the ps2 is too powerul for the xbox
2)pcsx2 the grand mayority of games doesnt work, and the others too ugly and slow to be playable.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Ummmm, no.
Wait till it runs on a pc before asking questions about porting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hellmasterx said:
1) its imposible to port pcsx to xbox because the ps2 is too powerul for the xbox
I think someone hasn't been paying any attention, not only is the xbox a more powerful machine than the ps2 (Doubles the RAM and processor), it is also more stable and faster because of the programming and drivers supplied. The xbox is essentially a PC but the (game) executables don't have to put up with the crap of any windows, directx, drivers, resolutions or anything else. It can just run anything directly on a BIOS level. Furthermore the xbox runs just about any C++ program which is linked with the XDK (Xbox Development Kit) libraries. So it can easily port PC programs to an xbox in comparison to the PS2 where all programs have to completely rewritten (Just take a look at GTA VC, the ps version was long around, before the xbox and pc version came out).

Viper_Viper said:
Ummmm, no.
Wait till it runs on a pc before asking questions about porting.
Maybe you want to read the latter part of my post, it is all about these kind of answers

I

·
0 Posts
Ehm... excuse me,it may be that the XBOX is far more powerful than a PS2, but thats not the problem. Think of a modern 3GHZ PC with high end graphics etc., this is more powerful than XBOX and PS2 together but look at the speed we have with PCSX2. Because its emulated. And XBOX is x86 AFAIK.

S

·
0 Posts
xbox powerful? yes.

powerful enough to emulate a ps2? no.

not that the xbox isn't more powerful than a ps2; it is. But, in order for games to work, it needs to emulate the architecture of the ps2, then run the game on top of that. You need more power for that than even the fastest PC around can deliver atm.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
the xbox runs off this

[size=-1]Processors[/size][size=-1]1[/size][size=-1]Model[/size][size=-1]Celeron (Coppermine)[/size][size=-1]Chip MHz[/size][size=-1]733.33 MHz[/size][size=-1]Cache Size[/size][size=-1]128 KB[/size]
(info taken from http://info.shallax.com/ )

as you can see its a crappy celeron thing, now an Athlon XP 64bit 3400+ even struggles to run PCSX2, so i dont think the xbox would have half a chance :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always heard it's a PIII instead of a celeron, but if you say so... Oh yeah, and about that roadmap thingy I was saying, I mean it is something to think about in the future

·
Registered
845 Posts
The PS2 still has performance advantages over the xbox, let's remember. Plus tkteun also throws out stuff like 'double the RAM', when the xbox's is unified; meaning it doesn't have double the ram at all considering the ps2 features a total of 40 MB.

By the time pcsx2 is showing good results the xbox will be an out-dated console anyway. Blah.

I like Flare's statement though: 'While we're at it, I want a PS2 Emulator for my PSX.'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay, hah

On any phpBB kind of forum I'd lock this thread right now, since there's probably never coming anything positive on this...

I would just like to apologize for asking my question in the wrong place, I could have foreseen nobody who comes here actually has any good word about an xbox, owns an xbox or uses a modded xbox.

So no more replies on this subject, this thread is locked!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Whoever said that Xbox runs off of a Celeron is wrong. It's a Pentium III.

Plus there are too many processers to emulate. And another thing, Xbox cannot render as many polygons as PS2. It's ok. I thought it was possible at one point too oO

Ok, now that I got my point accross... NOW this thread is locked!!!

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Yes, it's a standard Pentium 3 clocked at 700 Mghtz, which by the way puts it in the class of a 32 bit processor, whereas the PS2 uses true 128 bit processors, so PS2 is a far more powerful machine, and as far as that statement "The xbox is essentially a PC but the (game) executables don't have to put up with the crap of any windows, directx, drivers, resolutions or anything else." Well, that's just plain hogwash. Do you even know where the Xbox got it's name? Because it runs games in Direct X, so next time you're in front of that machine, understand that you are using a Direct XBOX
And it also uses a small proprietary operating system, not just on a BIOS level, thus the need for a hard drive.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
tkteun said:
okay, hah

On any phpBB kind of forum I'd lock this thread right now, since there's probably never coming anything positive on this...

I would just like to apologize for asking my question in the wrong place, I could have foreseen nobody who comes here actually has any good word about an xbox, owns an xbox or uses a modded xbox.

So no more replies on this subject, this thread is locked!!!!
Actually it is locked when an admin says it's locked. We don't feel like locking it just yet ;)

As a few have mentioned the Xbox is a powerful machine. We have nothing but good words for the Xbox, own one, and are quite familiar with it's emulation capabilities.

To put it simply. The Xbox architecture is impressive and PC like, but as it stands current 2 Ghz processor cannot achieve full speed on any PS2 game. So a 733mHz Xbox processor would not have any hope to meet the speed requirements even with optimizations.

On simple paper the PS2 does not seem hard to emulate. The Xbox seems to double it's technical specs, but the architecture is far different.
The main PS2 CPU is a RISC processor [ R educed I nstruction S et C omputer], unlike Xbox which is traditional CISC [ C omplex I nstruction S et C omputer]. It is optimized for 3D. This would be fun for the Xbox CPU, but it must also emulate a co-processor FPU (Floating Point Unit), and two Vector Units, the "Emotion Chip (Graphics synthesizer), and maybe factor in the Playstation CPU that also serves as the I/O processor. That is a lot of work on a single CPU / GPU makeup, and is why current PC emulation is so difficult.

Many here follow the emulation scene, and a few have programming backgrounds. You may not have liked the responses you recieved, but they are only being realistic. Hopefully this addressed the reason why a few have stated that the PS2 is too powerful for the Xbox. The Xbox is impressive, but emulation wise the PS2 architecture is too much for Xbox to handle.

BTW..welcome to NGEmu..Hope frst impressions are not bad impressions

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Squigi63 said:
I want a PS2 emulator for my PS2.
lol There once was a moron that wanted an Xbox emulator for his xbox :lol:

The Xbox is impressive, but emulation wise the PS2 architecture is too much for Xbox to handle.
And Vice versa.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
blueshogun96 said:
Whoever said that Xbox runs off of a Celeron is wrong. It's a Pentium III.
ok i was close

The CPU that powers the Xbox is a Coppermine based Pentium III with only 128KB L2 cache. While this would make many think that the processor is indeed a Celeron, one of the key performance factors of the Pentium III that is lost in the Celeron core was left intact for this core.
thats from http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1561&p=2

so really it is a cut down pentium III (LIKE a celeron) but designed so it doesnt lose as much performance as the celeron chips.

spose diagnostic programs would pick it up as a celeron tho.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
128KB 8-way sectored as opposed to the coppermine Celeron's 128KB 4-way sectoring, aswell as a 133MHz FSB. It's a Celeron/P3 hybrid.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
cooliscool said:
128KB 8-way sectored as opposed to the coppermine Celeron's 128KB 4-way sectoring, aswell as a 133MHz FSB. It's a Celeron/P3 hybrid.
Ok, now i remember something about a P3/Celeron hybrid. Life aint easy with a celeron. But does Xbox's processor have MMX?

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Yes, it's a standard Pentium 3 clocked at 700 Mghtz, which by the way puts it in the class of a 32 bit processor, whereas the PS2 uses true 128 bit processors, so PS2 is a far more powerful machine, and as far as that statement "The xbox is essentially a PC but the (game) executables don't have to put up with the crap of any windows, directx, drivers, resolutions or anything else." Well, that's just plain hogwash. Do you even know where the Xbox got it's name? Because it runs games in Direct X, so next time you're in front of that machine, understand that you are using a Direct XBOX
And it also uses a small proprietary operating system, not just on a BIOS level, thus the need for a hard drive.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts