1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Xbox Live purged of up to 1 million 360 modders - Report
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Nov 11, 2009 2:31 pm PT

Information Week estimates Microsoft may have suspended 5% of service's subscribers for using altered consoles--which are now flooding Craigslist.

If Information Week is to be believed, Microsoft has initiated a purge of Xbox Live that would've made Stalin's head of IT proud--had the Soviet dictator had ever had one. The magazine is reporting that the software giant has suspended as many as 1 million accounts it suspects of using modded Xbox 360 consoles to play pirated games.

Microsoft's kiss-off to as many as 1 million Xbox Live users.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty, and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft told Information Week in a statement.

While the methods Microsoft used to detect the modded consoles are unclear, the scale of the purge is vast. With a total subscriber base of just over 20 million, a 1-million-user ban would drop Xbox Live's population by a full 5 percent. The mass-ban also arrives during the same month that the Twitter, Last.fm, and Facebook-supporting Xbox Live fall update is expected.

GameSpot sibling site CNET noticed a side-effect of the ban which many will find amusing. Currently, some 74 modded and banned Xbox 360 consoles have been posted onto the San Francisco Bay Area edition of popular goods-and-services site Craigslist.

In a sign that the ban has indeed hit software pirates, several listings posted prior to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's November 10 launch tout the fact they come with a "burnt" copy of the game. Last week, a joint private and police investigation led to the arrest of several would-be Modern Warfare 2 pirates.
---

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Aren't they also going to purge gamers with non standard hard drives as well?

I wonder how many more 360s will be banned?

·
エリートキラー
392 Posts
Mass pwnage :lol:
I'm assuming they banned for homebrew too...
edit: is there even 360 homebrew? :S

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Not that I'm aware of , but IIRC Nintendo is trying to brick modded Wii systems...

·
エリートキラー
392 Posts
Wasn't that the 4.2 update? According to Team Twiizers it was just badly coded and it overwrites your boot2. They have a workaround for it but I forgot what. Nintendo tried lots of time to block homebrew and failed. Imo Microsoft actually killed modding almost completely unless they find a workaround. Live is one of the main points of XboX, and it takes away your install and WMP privileges as well.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Nintendo scares no Wii scene. Let firmware updates roll, all the same as with PSP.

The nature of Xbox machine-specific bans makes MS consoles pretty unwise to acquire second-hand. In all justice, many of those who would be seeking xboxes would be after the online experience as well (and hdd installation/streaming of course).

·
!
6,312 Posts
Wasn't that the 4.2 update? According to Team Twiizers it was just badly coded and it overwrites your boot2. They have a workaround for it but I forgot what. Nintendo tried lots of time to block homebrew and failed. Imo Microsoft actually killed modding almost completely unless they find a workaround. Live is one of the main points of XboX, and it takes away your install and WMP privileges as well.
An awesome team is an awesome team.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I have a few friends whos consoles I modded that got banned from XBL, so they went and bought a new one and returned the banned one in the new one's box.

Walmart employees aren't smart. Especially considering a few of them were pre-HDMI consoles returned in HDMI console boxes.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
I have a few friends whos consoles I modded that got banned from XBL, so they went and bought a new one and returned the banned one in the new one's box.

Walmart employees aren't smart. Especially considering a few of them were pre-HDMI consoles returned in HDMI console boxes.
I loled. :evil:

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I loled. :evil:
Wal Mart employees aren't paid a lot and all they check to see is if the parts are all their. They're probably not interested in verifying the system thoroughly, particularly if you're exchanging it for another 360. :evil:

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
There aren't that many pirates. (In contrast to legitimate game buyers..)
1 mil is just the number of them that "dare" to go online. :p When you think about it... carefully... that's actually quite a staggering number. For a potential $10 profit per game copy sold, and assuming each of them only pirated one game, then the gaming industry has lost $10 mil profit. If each of them has pirated 4 games, the number bumps up to $40 mil.

The 360 has been able to sell 147 software titles in the US in the 47 months it has been on the market. $147 mil assuming each hard game copy sold profited game developers only $10 per copy.

$40 mil is almost 25% of the total profit the 360 has made over... roughly 4 years, and that's assuming our dear pirates are merciful enough to have pirated and played only 4 games for the past 4 years. :innocent:

Wanna bump the ante up to $50 per game copy profit? We'll be looking at $200 mil lost to pirate and $735 mil profit. Still roughly the same percentage, just that now we're looking at a massive 20% of a billion dollars.

So yeah... there aren't that many... because any more than that and developers would start having second thoughts.

And P.S.: 4 years and they've only pirated 4 games... :rotflmao:

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
edit: is there even 360 homebrew? :S
independent developers can develop games for the xbox 360 using XNA and c#.

i think you have to pay for the subscription to upload your games to the xbox 360 though, but if you goto uni and have access to msdnaa you can get a free subscription.

so because of this i don't think you can say homebrew is a good reason to mod your xbox 360; unless you don't want to use xna and c#.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
It sucks if you're cheap, it sucks even more when you complain about the obvious consequences of your cheapness. You get what you pay for, they got nothing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.