Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, there's one friend in particular on Xbox LIVE that I can't join/start a party with and I can't join his games(if either of us are hosting). We've both supposedly got Open NAT's(according to Halo 3), both are behind routers(but have the correct Xbox Live ports forwarded for our Xbox's), and have our modems' firewalls off. The only thing I can think of is that back when I was playing on the original Xbox I couldn't play with other people using my same ISP(back then Alltel. Alltel later became Windstream after merging with Verizon. Same lines, servers, or whatever). We both have Windstream. Called Xbox support, they mentioned a firewall would be the only issue if the NAT Types for both of us were open(of course, they're all in India, not sure how accurate their info would be). So, what else is the problem here? Is my ISP just screwing me over?

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
I also can't play with a friend that uses the same ISP as me, I don't think there are any solutions :(. TECH support is usually fail when it comes to networking because most of the the support isn't professional.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If possible try bypassing the routers and plug directly into the modem, If you still cant connect it has to be either a configuration in the modem or on your ISP's end. If you have a third friend who has another ISP try having him host a game and have both of you connect to it, see what happens. Hit me up on MSN if your still having issues, I'll see if I can think of anything.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you and your friend are on the same ISP, there's a chance you could be on the same subnet. If that's the case then your xbox could be viewing your friend as local, not remote. Find out if your friend's IP is close to yours. If you're familiar with subnetting you'll be able to tell for sure, but if not just note if the first 3 octets of your respective IPs are the same. If they are ask your ISP to expire your DHCP lease so you can get a new IP. (or go the ghetto route and change the mac addy on your router. Your ISP will see it as a new device and assign a different IP to it. This can piss off your ISP if you happen to pick the same MAC addy as someone else on their network though)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
xbox live sucks ass hahahahahaha

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
yeah.

Xbox + Rocketfuel = Warms my heart.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ever switched on a wet console?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I used to have a 360. Then I decided it sucked and I sold it. Awhile later, a couple of my Games for Windows games require a Games For Windows Live! account and, low-and-behold, my former 360 gamertag works and all my friends are still there. "Great!" I think. "This must be kinda like steam".

Nope. I can only see my friends when I'm playing a Games for Windows Live! game. When I'm out of game, there's no software that runs in the background. MS DOES have software, but it's more of a games catalogue, with no friends list, messaging, anything. MS really dropped the ball on Games for Windows Live. Long live Steam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.