Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering about something if i can take an xbox hard drive and put it in my PC to work there. but i reformatted it from xbox one to NTFS but it wont recognize it on my Pc i was wondering if there is something i can do to make it work :):bow: :eyespin:

·
Who?
69 Posts
XBOX hard drive is "locked". It has to be unlocked first by removing/disabling the security. You have to hot swap it. Turn on XBOX(let it boot to menu), remove IDE cable(NOT power cable, leave that in so it stays on) and hook it up to your PC. You should be able to access the hard drive then but you will need to disable the security on it so when you turn of the hard drive, it does not lock itself. (i had a program around here somewhere that i used to do it with both my little bros XBOXs that i said was "broken". i'll look for that.)
After you unlock it, you will not be able to use it in the XBOX again. i'd only do this if an XBOX is broken like DVD drive doesn't read anymore so i can gain another Hard drive.

Edit:
I attached ATA Security Tool. Add atawd.exe in the .zip to a MS-DOS boot disc(floppy if ya got one lol). Do the hot swap and then boot from floppy and run atawd. once in that, you can disable the security so it will always be unlocked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow dude you must be psychic you guessed y my xbox didnt work the dvd doesnt read discs man your good the only problem is booting it the xbox (was "Accidently" Smashed by a few hammers) well anyway my friend has his xbox opened already so ill ask him to do it :) i really hope its a 60gb not the 8gb lol well thanx for the info:bow:
so do i run the atapwd right when i plug it in to my pc? then what it opened up a dos screen and said detecting drives then it does nothing. so now what?

·
Who?
69 Posts
Hmm, i guess the DVD drive disc reading errors must of been a common thing. My little bro has gone through like 3 XBOX's and all ended up stop reading discs And i gain 3 new hard drives lol but the XBOX hard drive is only 8-10GB. its also not the fastest hard drive around but its good for some extra storage i guess.(like for backups and tests and stuff)
Anyway,
Boot up the XBOX with its hard drive connected. Then unplug the IDE cable(leave power cable connected so it stays on) from the XBOX hard drive and hook it up to your PC (with your PC off, i'd unplug all other hard drives so you won't get confused on which one is the XBOX one... and also you wont have to set any jumpers hopefully.) Then once its hooked up, turn on your PC and boot that floppy and run that program(ATAPWD). Once loaded up, select the hard drive and select Security command set, Set a master password then (something simple and easy like "password" lol) Then "Unlock with master password". turn off PC, turn off XBOX(may have to unplug it...>.>) then hook the hard drive up to your PC and it should work just like any other hard drive!(may have to change around jumpers for master and slave settings).
If it still doesn't work, boot up with floppy again(you can keep hard drive in your PC at this point, no need for rest of XBOX hardware now) and try disable with master password. Reason i say that is cause its been awhile since i used this program and cannot remember if its unlock or disable.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Hmm, i guess the DVD drive disc reading errors must of been a common thing. My little bro has gone through like 3 XBOX's and all ended up stop reading discs And i gain 3 new hard drives lol but the XBOX hard drive is only 8-10GB. its also not the fastest hard drive around but its good for some extra storage i guess.(like for backups and tests and stuff)
[offtopic]and we are used to hear, that mainly PS2 has problem with that ;) [/offtopic]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm i was reading on how to unlock hard drives someone said it just unlocks it but not keeps it unlocked. they told me to use a program hddisabl after i use atapwd that should keep it from relocking after power is down. ill try to work with it.
Oh and i thought the old xbox came with a 60gb hard drive (thats what ive heard at least)

·
XBOX Modder
658 Posts
[offtopic]and we are used to hear, that mainly PS2 has problem with that ;) [/offtopic]
Yeah, unfortunately all 3 brands of XBOX DVD-ROMs have histories of getting disc read errors. However, this is usually only caused by extensive use of the DVD-ROM drive. (This is the case with ALL optical drives.)

I have 2 XBOXs, and I have had only 1 drive die one me, and need to be replaced. The other has been going strong for about 5 years now. Of course, it's probably lasted so long only because I play all of my games off my 200GB hard drive. :D

On topic though, in order to unlock an XBOX hard drive permanently, you need to mod your XBOX, dump the EEPROM, and then use XboxHDM to unlock your hard drive with the EEPROM file.

So basically, it's not worth it unless your XBOX is already modded.

And no, your friend's EEPROM will not work either. EEPROMs are XBOX specific.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On topic though, in order to unlock an XBOX hard drive permanently, you need to mod your XBOX, dump the EEPROM, and then use XboxHDM to unlock your hard drive with the EEPROM file.

So basically, it's not worth it unless your XBOX is already modded.

And no, your friend's EEPROM will not work either. EEPROMs are XBOX specific.
Well i dont need my xbox modded to use the hdd in my computer. (plus im not gonna keep the other xbox) btw i got a seagate hdd and a Western digital from 2 different xbox's so i dont know why they are different.:spy: :angry: :drool:

And Orin about the Ms-dos (do i format it to ms-dos?) startup disk it wont let me put the file you gave me onto the floppy it says unrecognized disc. so what do i do with that

·
XBOX Modder
658 Posts
Your missing the point. You need the EEPROM from the XBOX the drive was originally in, in order to permanently unlock the XBOX hard drive.

You are wasting your time with that DOS application. Even if you do get that application working, you will still need the unlock CODE from the original EEPROM in order to unlock the drive. That DOS program will not magically unlock your drives.

·
Who?
69 Posts
You put a floppy in you floppy drive and got o My computer and right click on A:\ and format, check Create MS-DOS startup disk. Once thats done, copy atapwd.exe to the a:\ And about the unlocking, The key for this working is hot swaping as the XBOX already unlocked the hard drive but you have to use that program to change the key/password(whatever its called). Like select drive, security options and set master password(this changes the code that is needed to unlock the drive, i set mine to 'password' easy to remember) Then select unlock with master password and enter the password you set for master. Then you can go from there(like unlock or disable, disable i think means it disables the security on the drive so it runs just like a normal PC hard drive.)
It is possible to use a XBOX hard drive in PC doing this. I'm using my old XBOX hard drive in my cheap server right now and the xbox it came from was not modded. However once you unlock it for PC use, you cannot use it in your XBOX again as it will not boot(plus you have to reformat the drive).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts