Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This codec allowed me to play sound files from XBOX version of GTAIII. Can it help CXBX in some way or is it brutally useless, because It's too much Windows related? I am just curious.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not speaking as a dev but Cxbx and Dxbx are both opensource projects so they'd probably want the source code to that codec which is not included in the zip.

Try posting where you got the zip from so they can download or at least inquire about the source code if they're interested. I hope they can use it.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
I already have the source code to that plugin and an Xbox Adpcm decoder + source written by the same author, plus I started working on Xbox Adpcm support yesterday. Trust me, it's VERY helpful. As an added bonus, I'm also working on XACT support for Unreal. Xbox Audio is a real challenge (for me), so don't get too excited. Last time I tried adding 3D sound support, and it broke Turok! But if it does work properly, then it will be in the next release.

I was going to do it before but I forgot until recently...

More on the Xbox Adpcm codec thing... it's been a very minor thing on Caustik's todo list (as with most sound related things). The decoder was written by Luigi Auriemma, and lucky enough for us, his source code is released under the GPL just like Cxbx. The biggest trick is to decode the Xbox Adpcm data into regular Pcm data. IIRC, DirectSound buffers (for the PC) only playback audio data in Pcm format. This shouldn't be hard.

Good:
- Saves us time trying to figure out for format ourselves. :D
- Should play both stereo and mono sounds compressed with this codec (so it's not limited to a specific file format).

Bad:
- No idea how streaming buffers would be effected (may get crappy output or crashes). Additional hacks may be required.
- Requires more overhead to decode.
- Cxbx's audio output is far from acceptable in many areas; meaning there's more sound related bugs than you can shake a stick at to begin with. An option to completely disable DirectSound may be a good idea (some games like Quantum Redshift may need). As far as sound goes, Xeon beats Cxbx by a long shot!

Thanks for asking though, such input is helpful. Which reminds me, I need to send the link to shadow_tj because there's a delphi port and he could really use it!

·
Banned
221 Posts
good new, well in somes emu´s the sound i think that´t works with many funtions if the emu doesn´t supports the convertion use the f the famous "ignored thread or ignored blocks"or others calls funtion, the game goes mutes, but works is enofght----the same case hapens with video and ..tlb hehe..greetings..well done blues--and nokiaman have you some utility for xbox videos?? there are like 8 types of xbox video formats. (.xmv, .tre, .sfd, and more..)like:maybe for this reason cxbx gives the code exeption in thousands of games..the game cxbx reader of games are perfect?the system convertion looks rights

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Videos are decoded on a low level, hence there's no need to worry about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.