Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was hoping to get one for christmas. Sadly i did not so i will be forced to make some money and buy one for myself. Now i was looking at the elite(come on who dosnt want it?) but its 300$ basically for the xtra hdd space. Now i was wondering whether it would be worth it to pick up one of the new regular xboxs, with the new board and stuff, as it runs cooler(at least what i heard) and just pick up the 120gb hdd for $80?

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
You can get the pro console with 60gb which is pretty neat, or get the arcade and at a later date slap on a 120gber (not cheap option). Now that you will be able to install games to the hdd you will want more space. But the price of the 60gb is very tempting.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the current price on the 60gb? get that, and a 120gb hdd i guess? although wasnt there something about certain 360s without the hdmi or something?

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
You might as well get the best version of the 360 you can get. I spent a good amount after getting the cheapest version (Arcade). I had to buy an extra controller, 13 month XBOX Live subscription, 50 ft. ethernet cable for Live, a headset, and some games. The Arcade version only comes with a 512 MB memory card, so I will probably have to get a HD for it sometime soon. See if the version that you are planning to get has a headset, ethernet cable (decent sized one, not a 5 ft. one), and an extra controller for a friend. Plus, most games were designed to be played on a big screen TV, which sucks. I recommend researching a game's text legibilty on the internet first before making a purchase, depending on what size TV screen you have. I bought Dead Rising for the 360 and I haven't played it due to insanely small text that you have to read to know what you are supposed to do. I have a 27" TV so it's not even that small. I feel bad for the people with 13" TV screens who use it to play that game. Dead Space has the same problem with text, but it's not as bad. At least you can position the camera angle around the in-game inventory hologram screen so that it is somewhat readable, but it can still be difficult to read most of the time. It really takes the fun out of playing the game seamlessly.

On the subject of controllers, I got the wired Mad Cats controller because I don't want to spend money on batteries or getting a rechargable battery pack for my wireless 360 controller. I actually prefer the wired Mad Cats controller because I am never more than 5 ft. away from my console anyways, and because I don't accidentally hit the left bumper button while using it (for some reason when I play COD4, I keep accidentally hitting the LB button and throwing grenades with the first party 360 controller, which is annoying). The LB button on the Mad Cats controller is more spaced away from the LT button.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i already have like 3 100ft ethernet cables. so that isnt a problem. A 37" HdTv so text wont be a prob.

I will probably pick up a live account long after i get it, unless i get a trial period or some crap like that. And i will only have a need for 2 controllers, i would prefer wireless with the packs, i'd be sitting good 8-10ft away, and people will trip over(neises running around) And if i buy one off of ebay, i will probably be buying a new case and the watercooling system for it. Just to brag to all my friends with the standard 360:p

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
TCOS, nearly all those added expenses you mentioned would still be necessary if you bought the Elite. Also, you should try playing your XBOX on your monitor so you can get HD.

Bubba, no real point to the Elite IMO. That's a lot of extra money for minor extra features. Get the Arcade IMO, it still has the HDMI port. Just get a HD on top of that. You don't need the 120, I doubt you'd fill it and I find those that do just need to delete old crap they don't use anymore.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
true. Its just the copying games over thats gonna take up a lot of space. althoguh i guess, i will do that then. 60gb hdd is only like 40$ on evay so.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
TCOS, nearly all those added expenses you mentioned would still be necessary if you bought the Elite. Also, you should try playing your XBOX on your monitor so you can get HD.

Bubba, no real point to the Elite IMO. That's a lot of extra money for minor extra features. Get the Arcade IMO, it still has the HDMI port. Just get a HD on top of that. You don't need the 120, I doubt you'd fill it and I find those that do just need to delete old crap they don't use anymore.
Hmm. Good point. Arcade is the way to go then. I never really researched the differences between the two. IIRC, my friend told me that he got the better 360 package not too long after it came out and it came with a headset, an ethernet cable, a HD, and an extra controller.

Anyways, I have a laptop so HD on this won't be really good. Plus, there's a delay with my USB TV tuner. :/

well i already have like 3 100ft ethernet cables. so that isnt a problem. A 37" HdTv so text wont be a prob.

I will probably pick up a live account long after i get it, unless i get a trial period or some crap like that. And i will only have a need for 2 controllers, i would prefer wireless with the packs, i'd be sitting good 8-10ft away, and people will trip over(neises running around) And if i buy one off of ebay, i will probably be buying a new case and the watercooling system for it. Just to brag to all my friends with the standard 360:p
I have a ghetto rigged cooling system for my 360 because of all of the talk about the 360 overheating. I put an old laptop cooling fan underneath of it. :p I don't know if it's doing a damn thing to prevent overheating, but at least it helps me sleep at night. :p

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a ghetto rigged cooling system for my 360 because of all of the talk about the 360 overheating. I put an old laptop cooling fan underneath of it. :p I don't know if it's doing a damn thing to prevent overheating, but at least it helps me sleep at night. :p

so arcade package the way to go?
im not too sure its doin much in my honest opinion :heh: i mean how thick the case is and there arnt any slits like a laptop :dead:

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
I'd just get the $299.99 system with the hard drive. Without it you can't play the older XBOX games that are backwards compatible and if you add a hard drive, you're voiding the 3 year warranty on the RROD support.

I'm going to save up for a $299 360 during my birthday.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'd go with the $300 standard model(it's not called Pro anymore, not since the core was replaced with the Arcade). You get a headset, a nice HDD that you'd probably be getting later for ~$50, a free ethernet cable, and with the Arcade you don't get a HD cable, just a Standard Def. one. With the standard one you do.

Plus if the games matter at all to you, you get a free copy of Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones(the latter of which is actually fairly good).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts