Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eventhough they did say the XBox 360 might support HD-DVD Microsoft is now saying they never said such things and that they dont have any plans to do so.

I would say this is not only a victory for PS3 but for blueray as well, there will be less HD-DVD players around witch leaves more room for Blue-ray.

Also this will give the PS3 a longer life then Xbox360 couse of the extra storage the Blue-ray has.

Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/675/675855p1.html

· Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im beguining to think so too. I mean, what exactly is next-gen on the Xbox360?

· Registered
175 Posts
First, why does everyone keep calling it blueray?, its Bluray.

Second, it doesnt even matter if the 360 doesnt support HD-dvd, why? because they werent going to use it for game storage anyway.. so no big loss.

Third, Bluray is new.. it can flop just as easy as anything else.

Just because it doesnt support higher disk storage than the ps3 doesnt mean anything, once again fanboys are here.

· Registered
774 Posts
I'm a little dissapointed to hear this. Personally, I was plainning to wait until they shipped 360's with HD-DVD support to buy one. Still, I'd take this report with a grain of salt, because this is a complete reversal of everything they've said up until now. It's possible they are just saying this to convince people to buy a 360 now instead of later (which they really need people to be doing right now in the japanese market :p).

· Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed PiggyFlyer?

Second, it doesnt even matter if the 360 doesnt support HD-dvd, why? because they werent going to use it for game storage anyway.. so no big loss.
It is a big loss. Maybe not game wise but its a big loss for HD-DVD and obviously makes some ppl loose interest on the Xbox360.

Third, Bluray is new.. it can flop just as easy as anything else.
What does that got to do with anything?

Just because it doesnt support higher disk storage than the ps3 doesnt mean anything, once again fanboys are here.
It doesn't? I dont believe ur stupid and mean it.
And even if that doesnt matter, then the fact that the xbox360 has nothing enovating, doesn't do anything a high end PC can do, pretty much all games are comming out for PC as well, no decent games yet, the problems it has, the fact that doesn't support nextgen video storage means alot.

To put it simple, HD-DVD was the only thing that could have made the Xbox360 nextgen. Now it wont even have that.

· band
5,270 Posts
Valcrist said:
Score one for blueray!

I again state that the next-gen STARTS with ps3...not a revamped xbox...
why do i have the feeling ur supporting bluray because apple is one of the main supporters :cool:

it is safe to say that if bluray is promoted correctly and the public buys into the whole move to nextgen media many ppl will be getting the ps3 as their first BD player, thereby moving a lot of ps3's into ppl's homes putting the xbox360 at a disadvantage. this has happened with the ps2 and DC and there is really nothing saying that history wont repeat itself.

i didnt expect that i wud have to explain that, but ah well.

· Registered
1,447 Posts
why do i have the feeling ur supporting bluray because apple is one of the main supporters
shhhh.....

Not only that, but I sell T.V.'s and T.V.' accessories for a living, so I gotta do a good amount of research, so I know what I'm talking about, and to me bluray just seems like the better format.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Well I'm unsure if not supporting HDTV will hurt Nintendo, nor do I think not supporting Bluray will hurt Microsoft.

If we had to pay for a Bluray drive in an XBOX360, how much more would we have to spend? and how many people would be willing to pay that price?

And what would be getting for the price?

I don't think GDROMs killed the Sega Dreamcast, it was killed by other things. As a Dreamcast owner, I could've cared less if it supported DVD, how many people would've payed the $$$ to have DVD support? Heck I don't even use DVD on my PS2...but yes I know the games I have make use of DVD storage...

But of the DC games ported to the PS2, I haven't seen any improvement...at least with Dead or Alive 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2...

· Transcended
1,421 Posts
It certainly is a a victory to chalk up for Bluray, but I think PiggyFlyer had a point... it's no guarantee of a Bluray stranglehold.

Besides... what constitutes "Next gen"? Just how far does changes have to go for it to be considered as such?

Nonetheless, to para-phrase the great Betamax, "Superior marketing of an Inferior product is better than Inferiror marketing of a Superior one". We'll just have to wait and see. Who knows what a surpirse things might turn out to be.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
With the exception of the Jaguar, CD-I, 32X, and a few other systems, I can't say I've seen that many "bad" consoles.

I don't think publicity would have saved the Saturn or Dreamcast, nor do I think "popular" systems like the PS2 are popular because of hype. I think the PS2 has a HUGE library of games, so that many casual gamers can find a big variety of games to play.

If you don't like fighting games, racers, and arcade games, you might not like the Dreamcast, whereas the PS2 has great platforming games, RPGs, racing games, arcade games, fighting games, shooters, etc...

Quantity over Quality, and no I'm not saying the PS2 doesn't have some quality games, just it has a HUGE amount of good games and a few great ones, whereas on the Dreamcast, IMSHO, it has a number of GREAT games because I like fighting games, racing games, and the arcade games it supported... :thumb:

· Transcended
1,421 Posts
Paratech said:
With the exception of the Jaguar, CD-I, 32X, and a few other systems, I can't say I've seen that many "bad" consoles.

I don't think publicity would have saved the Saturn or Dreamcast, nor do I think "popular" systems like the PS2 are popular because of hype. I think the PS2 has a HUGE library of games, so that many casual gamers can find a big variety of games to play.

If you don't like fighting games, racers, and arcade games, you might not like the Dreamcast, whereas the PS2 has great platforming games, RPGs, racing games, arcade games, fighting games, shooters, etc...

Quantity over Quality, and no I'm not saying the PS2 doesn't have some quality games, just it has a HUGE amount of good games and a few great ones, whereas on the Dreamcast, IMSHO, it has a number of GREAT games because I like fighting games, racing games, and the arcade games it supported... :thumb:
Getting developers under your wing, and thereby increasing quantity, IS part of marketing. Marketing isn't just about hype. Being technically better is no guarantee of victory. For example, the ease of development, while important, isn't always the decisive factor. Money talks dude... it talks quite well.

Sigh... the wonders of the real world.

· The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
One thing is for sure. One of the 2 dvd formats will be the king in the next movie era that is about to start and the Xbox won't play any of them, lossing it's 360 funtionality as it was advertised. It's not the big multimedia console that was said.

If bluray wins i'll certainly be watching my BR Movies in my Ps3 since it will be the first one i have. It's not going to cost too much because you have to take into account the time of release. If it was released now it would have been expensive but technology gets cheaper as months, even weeks fly.
It won't matter for the 360 with either format, you will have to buy a standalone player anyway. If Br wins and you are considering buying a player, the ps3 will be a cheaper solution than a standalone one like it was with the ps2 and dvds. Now things are different with it but remember how it was used in Japan in its first months of life? Mainly like a Dvd player.

One last question.
Why it's named 360? It was supposedly named like that because it would play every kind of media you wanted in your Tv set. Now i see that you will have to use a standalone dvd player for Hd dvds. You have to have your pc on for watching and hearing stored mp3 and pictures.... It doesn't do anything by itself.

because they werent going to use it for game storage anyway.. so no big loss.
So you mean there will be no difference when you play a game at 1080i and then the screen suddenly changes to a standard 720x480 fmv?

Btw, iirc, there was a significant number of people complaining about the GC not being able to read the current dvd technology. Lots of gc fans have the wet dream of having a Panasonic's Q....
It was like that because they wanted to make the console cheaper COMPARED with the other 2. The 360 seems to be the second in price and is expensive as it is. How will they justify not having Hd dvd support when Nintendo won't either but will be cheaper again?

· band
5,270 Posts
Why it's named 360? It was supposedly named like that because it would play every kind of media you wanted in your Tv set. Now i see that you will have to use a standalone dvd player for Hd dvds. You have to have your pc on for watching and hearing stored mp3 and pictures.... It doesn't do anything by itself.
i also want to mention that the 360 cannot even upconvert standard dvds....

EDIT: also i think the name 360 was originally intended to fight the 3 in PS3 as a way of hiding MS's inexperience in the field.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Paratech said:
But of the DC games ported to the PS2, I haven't seen any improvement...at least with Dead or Alive 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2...
I have yet to see the first game that shows improvement. DOA2 has got a higher FR in cutscenes, and some effects in the final battle that I personally found really annoying. But Rayman 2 and Evil Twin were completely raped when converted to the PS2. Rayman 2 on DC is at a constant smooth 60fps, while PS2 got a 'tuned up' version according to gaming magazines, yet it can't even keep it at 30, and the textures look horrible, and worst of all, the water oO

Back when the PS2 was launched in the western world about 100 DC games were released, it had a library with some great titles simply putting the PS2 to shame. Because of good marketing Sony was able to let a lot of buyers wait for the PS2. DC had all the good stuff at the time, the only thing worth buying a PS2 for was the DVD player, and FFX and MGS2, which still had to be released.

When I take a look at the situation with Xbox360 and PS3 I see a lot of similarities when compared to the DC vs PS2 story. The only difference is that MS has a solid base because of the Xbox, they didn't suffer from buyers being afraid it will fail in a way that the Saturn and 32x did. I think Sony does have a good selling point with their Blueray discs.

· band
5,270 Posts
to add to cid's examples :

Le Mans on PS2 : bad framerate, bad gfx
Grandia II on PS2 : really bad textures....the DC version depended on this
MDK2 on PS2 : Same story
There are probably more but i can't remember

But Quake III and UT on Ps2 was really a lot better than on the DC.

· Read Only
10,484 Posts
This is very interesting...

You see, that's the reason why I told my friend who believed in all the hype that surrounded the 360, that he has to wait to see how the console performs stated by users not by promotionists. Then he can invest wisely his money.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
Probably dropped support for HD-DVD because the format is going to be a flop. Also, the Xbox 360 does have some exclusives that won't be on PC, such as all of those Rare games.

The Xenos has 48 pipelines overall, so only an SLi rig (with $1000 on video cards) would be able to beat it, hardware-wise, so it is a true next-gen compared to the GeForce 3 in the original Xbox with has 4(x2) pipes. A dual-layer DVD can hold over 9GB, which should be enough for a developer to play with.

Not that I'd ever buy a Xbox 360.

· Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cid Highwind said:
Rayman 2 on DC is at a constant smooth 60fps, while PS2 got a 'tuned up' version according to gaming magazines, yet it can't even keep it at 30, and the textures look horrible, and worst of all, the water oO
That doesnt mean its just the hardware fault. It was just a bad port.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.