Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still do Zer0's New Classic's on a few other boards I frequent. I stopped them here do to a issue with a member, but I started a new line as well. Zer0's Unkown Classic's. One per month out of the line I throw a oversea's game that hasn't made it here. Figured I'd show you this one since I'm really liking it alot.

I frequent the JRPG boards alot. Looking for fun new items to play that havn't been brought over-seas here. Xanadu Next was brought upon me by a friend name XSlayerSaviour who dreams about Xanadu. I kid you not. I never really played any of the others in the series, but had heard great things about them.

Xanadu NEXT is a direct sequel to the Legend of Xanadu line of games. I'm not going into a history lesson here, so here's a site with series history ...

http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/xanadu/xanadu.htm

Storyline: I really don't know what's going on to much. I don't speak or read JP. The opening cini is of you and a young girl on a boat being told about a mysterious tower, next you cut to a CG of a city being destroyed while a bride watches on. I believe Xanadu is the city and it's a re-telling of the destruction of it. Finally, the boat reaches port in a small town. (that's about as much as I got from it)

Gameplay: The game is control with the mouse. There's no options for keyboard or joystick support, but really there's not need for them. The mouse control feels very comfortable. If you ever played Diablo 1, you know how this game plays. You have one town (so far) that you use as your hub to buy items, heal, save, etc. This is a Dungeon crawler true and true, but does it make it not fun? No, I found the game quite addiciting. So addicting, my fiancee even sat down and started playing it and she hates games she can't understand. The game delve's a little bit into Y's territory.

Graphics: The graphics are a mixed bag. I for one like the style and look. It uses a engine that could be considered a mix between PS1/early PS2 era. Yet, the small touches really add to the game. The added look of new armor and weapons, the colorful, but bright visuals. The game has a anime inspiried taste to it.

Sound: Wonderful, Falcom is known for the music in games. The soundtrack is great orchestraed piece with each piece of music standing out. The opening song during the Xanadu re-telling scene was great with large chanting and orchestrated pieces. The game has it's regular sound-effects of footsteps and enemy sounds, but you'll be too busy listening to the music to care.

Overall: If you like Dungeon Crawlers this is a game to surely pick up. Don't worry about the JP text, it really dosn't hold anything back from the game. There are faq's available as well to help play-through if you must know what's going on in the story. I wish falcom would bring this classic over in some way shape or form.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Looks great. Could you please post the links to these JRPG boards? And I'd like to see the posts you made too. Thank you.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
I have always wondered why Faxanadu had no sequels or anything like that. It was fantastic game, even if its controls combined with difficult monsters made it really hard sometimes. Now i see that its related to Xanadu (why & where the heck that FA of FaXanadu came from?) serie and there are dozen of games there! Sweet!!!!!!

Screenshots look quite good though. :)

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Heh i got this game for my N-gage, pretty cool but kinda small on the ngage :p

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Semi-Update: I've been working 12-13 hour shifts lately. I also have the habit with games I really like to start to get into the game so much, i forget to take shots.

Gameplay:

+The game has cards in it. Found in chests, these cards hold guardians. When at the church, you can switch out the main card you use. Each card has different abilites and help raise certain stats. The card I use currently raises my overall HP. The cards do level as well. Increasing the amount you get. There are some cards, such as Nightshade that grant extra abilites. Nightshade grants the ability to "Hide" from monsters.

+There is also spells in the game. Spells work just like in any other game, with the idea that the right click will use the activated spell. MP is not a giant pool, instead of every spell pulling mp from spot. Each spell has it's own MP. If you use run out fire, switch to wind.

+Boss fights, there are boss fights. The first true boss fight you run into is between a dog covered in fire, and must be fought to proceed and open the doors. "Ala Zelda". The second one I've fought was a Giant tree that you had to destroy small eye like sensors on it's branches to take it down.

+ Key-Equipment, there's certain artifacts that can be found that allow extra abilites. The braclet's allow you to destroy rocks, while one of the necklaces I found allow you walk under water.

Storyline:
+ There seems to be Crowns at the end of each dungeon

+ There is another man wanting the crowns as well, you will fight him numerous times

The game is easy enough for anyone to pick-up. Definately worth a try. I'm going to start doing Zer0's New classic here again. Should be up within the next week.

·
Registered
416 Posts
finished this game few days ago, it's a little bit short(only 12 hours for me). i even level down to 1 when i get the +bouns guardian card, and level up back to lvl20. i really like how the game allows you to cast magic without delay, great fun when killing large group of enemies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.