Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

My mom went to Japan a week ago to visit her family and to attend my cousin's wedding and will be gone for a month (YAY! Car for a month during Christmas and new years! :evil: ....BOO! wut am i gonna eat for the rest of this month... :( ). My aunt (i think...or some other relative) offered to buy me a "Pocket PC" and my mom asked me if i wanted one. No im not too familiar with these little gadgets and im not sure wut exactly i could use it for so if im not gonna use it i dont want my aunt to waste her money. Im thinking its like an organizer kinda thing where u input dates, timetables and stuff? Any insight would be nice!

Thx

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
You know a search with google would have gotten information.

A pocket pc is a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) device that runs on a modified Microsoft Windows OS.

In the basic terms it's an organizer where you can keep track of your time and events. Though it can do other things like edit Word documents and play videos and music.

I have a Palm Zire 31 and I find it useful in keeping track of tasks, events and dates and writing down notes when I don't have a pen and paper.

Now do you need one? This depends on what you need the PDA for.

I recommend looking to this website for more information:

http://www.brighthand.com/

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i ran a google search before posting (and for some weird reason google was very slow for me today...like VERY slow) and it came up to pretty much wut i said"organizer kinda thing where u input dates, timetables and stuff". I was expecting that because my friend has a palm pilot. I was thinking whether a pocket pc would be able to do anything else...like watch anime or surf the internet or smthn.

personally if its just organizing, i doubt i wud use it cuz im a really messy person.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
D.D. said:
yea, i ran a google search before posting (and for some weird reason google was very slow for me today...like VERY slow) and it came up to pretty much wut i said"organizer kinda thing where u input dates, timetables and stuff". I was expecting that because my friend has a palm pilot. I was thinking whether a pocket pc would be able to do anything else...like watch anime or surf the internet or smthn.

personally if its just organizing, i doubt i wud use it cuz im a really messy person.
I'm not too familar with the PocketPC features because I have a Palm instead.

Yes, you can surf the internet, but it probably going to cost money to browse it.

Yes, you can watch movies, but you probably need a SD memory card to hold the movie file. The movie file probably have be converted to a different file format for the PDA. You also need software to do the conversion which probably doesn't come with the PDA.

You also have to be mindful of the battery power consumption when watching videos. That half hour episode may drain out the power quickly.

Why not get a Palm instead of a PocketPC?

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oman. seems like i dont need a pocket pc after all :D too much trouble.

Why not get a Palm instead of a PocketPC?
I dunno. >.< my mom called back today and asked if i wanted a pocketpc. Is there a big difference btwn the too any way?

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
D.D. said:
Oman. seems like i dont need a pocket pc after all :D too much trouble.

I dunno. >.< my mom called back today and asked if i wanted a pocketpc. Is there a big difference btwn the too any way?
Yes, there is a difference. They both use different OS for one thing.

What do you need a PDA for first?

Since your mom is in Japan wouldn't the PDA be in Japanese?

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you need a PDA for first?
Thats the thing. i dont think i even need one now that it seems like all it does its organize and cant play stuff without conversion. i think im just gonna ask her to get me a new cell phone or smthn.

Since your mom is in Japan wouldn't the PDA be in Japanese?
I suppose so. Thats not that big of a problem, since i did take Japanese up till...i think grade 5? >.< Anyway, katakana is not that hard to figure out.

Thx for the help btw, RZetlin.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use my pocket pc for taking notes in class. I prefer it to my laptop for the reason that it can fit in my pocket and the battery life last for 8+hours. Personally I think a pocket pc can do anything a laptop can, at a faction of the price.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
taking notes? please explain. this sounds pretty interesting. do u write on the screen like u do on a touchscreen laptop (ive seen some students with these and i think they're way cool) or do u need to buy a separate kepboard?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
D.D, yes, pda's come with a touchscreen. Some also have a built in keyboard, and most offer a full sized keyboard as an additional accessory. Usually, i use it for taking notes, listening to music and playing games. When I'm travelling, I use it for viewing divx movies as well. I could also surf the net, but the small screen and lack of keyboard might be a turnoff.

Before choosing Palm or PocketPC, i recommend that you tinker around with both OSes first. It's just like choosing MacOS or Windows, though I would recommend Microsoft (maybe coz I'm used to it :p)

If you've got a big budget, I would recommend getting the ipaq hx4700 or rx3715.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
for games, the PPC beats the palm hands down. It also has a lot of emulators that will run (on newer PPCs) GBA and SNES games at full speed. Most PPCs have compact flash card slots, like mine. I have a older HP Jordana model and it runs GBA games only at 5-7 FPS. Newer models can also watch DVIX and other videos at 30fps full screen. This is also cool for reencoding video to take with you.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
D.D. said:
taking notes? please explain. this sounds pretty interesting. do u write on the screen like u do on a touchscreen laptop (ive seen some students with these and i think they're way cool) or do u need to buy a separate kepboard?
There are four ways to take notes:

1) Use the scribble notepad. You can write the letters like normal pen and paper. It doesn't convert the letters into computer letters, and I find it to be a little messy sometimes, but it comes in handy if you need to write something quick.

2) Use the pen's own writing system. This will convert the letters into the computer letters. You probably have to learn how to write in a different way in order for the PDA to recognize the writing. For the Palm this is called the "graffiti" writing system.

3) Use the PDA virtual keyboard. This can be cumbersome poking at each small keys, but it's more accurate that the two methods mentioned above.

4) Use a keyboard. If you can sit down on a desk, an optional seperate keyboard can be attached to the PDA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As others have said a Pocket PC is great for data, notes, addresses, your daily appointments, email. Pocket Word and Excel are great additions as well.

However I use my PPC as a multi media device. I watch recorded TV shows, movies, and listen to MP3 ( mainly downloaded Howard Stern Radio Show ).

In my opinion a PPC is by far better then an Ipod or any other form of basic MP3 player. The battery in a PPC is more stable then the Ipod. I find it almost to simple to adjust a playlist unlike Ipods. Plus the sound quality blows away every Ipod I have heard. ( Sound quality is user adjustable not done by preset)

For portable Enterainment it can't be beat!!!

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i did a bit more research and found out that these things have like around 64 megs of memory for ram and usually 64 megs of "rom" for storage?. How's that gonna hold any mp3s and movies ???

about note taking. my aunt suggested that she get a keyboard for me too. its supposedly foldable, so it will be portable in enuff. i talked to her for a while and she said that it saves files as documents so that i can just plug it into my computer and then transfer the notes to my computer. seems pretty convenient to me, but the only problem is, since im in engineering, most of the classes require diagrams and such, so it wud be impractical to type notes. that was one of the reasons why i never bought a laptop : writing in a notebook is so much more practical.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
That's why they created flash-based storage cards ;)

About the price difference, i think it all boils down to what kind of spec you're looking for

·
Registered
22 Posts
D.D. said:
i did a bit more research and found out that these things have like around 64 megs of memory for ram and usually 64 megs of "rom" for storage?. How's that gonna hold any mp3s and movies ???
As stated in the post before mine, there are things called storage cards, Compact Flash, SD, MMC.

My Toshiba uses SD/MMC.

I have a 256 MB and a 64 MB with a 1 Gig after christmas buy.

On the 256 card I have a full 2 hr movie, almost 4 hours of Howard Stern Show and about 12 .wma songs ( windows media audio is by far better then MP3 for file size.....as is windows media video ).

It's all in how you encode it :)

The 64 MB card I have just over or under 2 hours on tunes. Now add to that the ability to have wireless net and awesome game play and a Pocket PC can turn into your best friend.

As to price.....you spend for what you require. If paper and pen suit your needs more power to you. If you need portable enteraintment and the ability to take notes digitaly and send wireless e-mail research what will fit your needs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
about note taking. my aunt suggested that she get a keyboard for me too. its supposedly foldable, so it will be portable in enuff. i talked to her for a while and she said that it saves files as documents so that i can just plug it into my computer and then transfer the notes to my computer. seems pretty convenient to me, but the only problem is, since im in engineering, most of the classes require diagrams and such, so it wud be impractical to type notes. that was one of the reasons why i never bought a laptop : writing in a notebook is so much more practical.
I have an ipaq (pocket PC) and theres a notes program built into it. You can either type stuff in, or write directly onto the screen. I believe that you can type stuff in and switch to diagrams without changing any settings, although i havent tried it (my ipaq kinda broke, and i havent gotten it fixed yet).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I got a PalmIIIex at the local thrift store a while back and fell in love. I never got a real name brand one before that, because of the price, and only played around with the generic one's that you can get for 20 bucks; that turned me off to pda's cause those are ****. But the palm was name brand and only $5 so I got it. It was pretty damn nifty for being 5 years old. After some research, I found that I could play game boy games on it, so I tryed that. Cause the palm was so old, it ran the games very slowly, but it did run them. So I looked on ebay, got a better one for $30, a sony clie, and I use that one for planning and note pad cause it's so small, about the size of a deck of cards. Then I saw that a ppc could play nes, gb, gba, sega, and snes; so I got one. I really only use this one, an iPaq 3870, as badass gameboy with a movie and music player. Their really fun to play with, you can even use most of them as a TV remote, but if you are not the type who would like to play zelda on their bed instead of the computer just cause, then you might not want one; just keep the reciet.

Greywolf67, how do you encode your stuff? I can hardly stuff a 30 min show on my 256 card, plus it ends up running slow as hell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts