Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say, I want to write an .ini file for an anonomys game. What exactly would I have to include in that ini file?

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Thats quite rounded up question. :???: Depends what that game wants from that INI file. Basically INI file is just a text file that can be written with notepad or similar.

PS. Who is that babe on your avatar? ;) :lol:

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
It's down to the game. If the game doesn't look at the ini file it's a bit pointless, and a game which does look at an ini file will almost certainly already have one, nad you can reference from that.

>PS. Who is that babe on your avatar? ;) :lol:

It's Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kane-Sama said:
>PS. Who is that babe on your avatar? ;) :lol:

It's Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop
Yep, it's Faye Valentine. I thought instead of calling myself a total retard (which I can be at times) I wanted to say something a bit more positive. Imagine if she was REAL :thumb:

Anyway, I wanted to see if I could contribute by getting Bad Boys 2 to work. I was feeling a bit mischivous. I tried to make an INI file for it, but so far, I havent gotten it to work, yet :thumb: So far, I got the white screen with the FPS counter on it.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wile said:
Why dont you show us the INI file? :D
When I get a chance I will. I'm usually doing all of my posts from college

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... here's what I got so far on my ini file so far. So far it's not even close to being done. I'm trying to make sure I got the main function right, so far Xeon can't find it. I used my IDA pro to dissasemble it and tried to do what I could.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
You have the right idea, however it is somewhat more complicated than that. I actually attempt to generate as much as possible of the INI file automatically using a function scanner program. Basically it generates signatures from XDK library files and uses them to search for functions in the XBE file. However since I don't have all of the XDK's I have to search for a lot of the functions by hand. If you want however I might be able to release the scanning program.

Also the version of Xeon that was released before is very outdated now. You should probably wait until I have the new version ready before trying to get games to run.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_SF_ said:
You have the right idea, however it is somewhat more complicated than that. I actually attempt to generate as much as possible of the INI file automatically using a function scanner program. Basically it generates signatures from XDK library files and uses them to search for functions in the XBE file. However since I don't have all of the XDK's I have to search for a lot of the functions by hand. If you want however I might be able to release the scanning program.

Also the version of Xeon that was released before is very outdated now. You should probably wait until I have the new version ready before trying to get games to run.
:bow: I'm glad to see that you are up and running _SF_. :bow: It would be great if you could release the scanning program. thanks, keep ^ the good work :thumb:

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I tried to use IDA pro to find out the location of the main function.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I will help look for the main funtion with you.

Yea... IDA gives you weird outputs (not alot like real c/c++)
and it makes it harder to find things like that.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
proger said:
I will help look for the main funtion with you.

Yea... IDA gives you weird outputs (not alot like real c/c++)
and it makes it harder to find things like that.
Thanx, i apreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
blueshogun96 said:
:bow: I'm glad to see that you are up and running _SF_. :bow: It would be great if you could release the scanning program. thanks, keep ^ the good work :thumb:

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I tried to use IDA pro to find out the location of the main function.
I'd have to see about it. The program is very primitive and doesn't even have a GUI currently. Also it's dependent on the DUMPBIN tool that comes with Visual Studio.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
_SF_ said:
I'd have to see about it. The program is very primitive and doesn't even have a GUI currently. Also it's dependent on the DUMPBIN tool that comes with Visual Studio.
VS 6 or 7(.net)?

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
proger said:
Shouldnt you change HaloHack=false, you probally should change it to BadBoys2hack=false or something...
Good question, not sure but I think it should stay at halohack because halo is not the target game here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Similarities in cxbx logs and xeon inis

Looking at it closer, cxbx logs and xeon inis are amazing similar
For example:
CXBX:
Code:
Emu (0x7BC): 0x0009CED0 -> EmuIDirect3DDevice8_SetRenderState_Simple
Xeon:
Code:
D3DDevice_SetRenderState_Simple=1820A0
I dont think the one from cxbx was halo (actually, im not sure what it is from at all, but im just making a point)
I don't know if this is useful or not, but its interesting none the less. ;)
And mods, try not to get mad at me for bringing back this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
are you refering to the .ini? In that case, no it's the badboys2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts