Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, please don't laugh.
If I sold empty CD cases on Ebay making people believe they are buying warez, would I be breaking the law?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I dont think it would be illegal, but it would be bloody funny peope paying for warez.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Nobody would buy them, you'd get banned and you'd get cops on your door pretty soon...

That's my prediction of this case!:p

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
If I sold empty CD cases on Ebay
This is the only bit that matters.

Basically, deception. Payment might be cancelled, and account probably suspended or hit with a strike after its flagged as a violation. Wether you induce people into 'imagining' theyre buying nonempty boxes does not change the fact it will still likely be reported when people notice they didnt receive what they paid for (a serious offense for eBay and Paypal).

Bootlegs and so are routinely sold on eBay all the time (generally under the guise of being "the real thing", just absurdly cheaper).

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I see the logic in it though. Make people believe they're buying something illegal, and when they see that it isn't there, they won't be able to report it to anyone. It's like going to the cops and telling them your cocaine had flour in it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Bootlegs and so are routinely sold on eBay all the time (generally under the guise of being "the real thing", just absurdly cheaper).
damn thats happend to me too many times, hence why i stoped going on ebay.

anyway Exodus i see your point about who do the bad guys turn to if something bad happens to them (not remonising about leathal wepon 4) but in all fairness they could just turn around and plead ignorance to the warez to pay pal and then you would be royaly skrewed.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Unless it says something about it being a bootleg in the description. In general, eBay is probably not the best place to try something like this.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
Hmm, I mentioned here before a guy selling bootleg Dreamcast games, remember? He screwed me on IllBleed! and I posted he sold bootlegged games, then he hid his feedback, which I was told meant he can't sell anymore?

But apparently Sega didn't care their IP was being bootlegged on EBay and Paypal wanted me to give him back the game, I guess so he could resell it to another sucker?

It's made me rethink buying Retro CD/GDROM/DVD games.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be considered fraud because you are misrepresenting your product.

Plus you would get in trouble for piracy since your selling warez.
Do you mean CD cases with no CD inside count as warez? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
443 Posts
As an example I know a guy who got busted for selling fake marijuana, he got slammed with intent to sell illegal material, fraud, and 2 others i cant remember. Pretending to do something like this is just as bad as going through with it in the laws eyes.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
As an example I know a guy who got busted for selling fake marijuana, he got slammed with intent to sell illegal material, fraud, and 2 others i cant remember. Pretending to do something like this is just as bad as going through with it in the laws eyes.
That's too bad, no? So much for taking advantage of crack heads.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Oh well time to rethink my business stratageys.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
That's the way to do it! Just don't get caught since apparently they'll look at the intent...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts