Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
This should really be in the hardware section of the Forum. Back to topic, it is ok, but maybe you should consider going for something like a FX5600 or maybe 5700 if you are on a budget. These model cards are like hybrids and may have a performance cut somewhere in its specs. Check the specs completely and compare them with other cards in the FX line.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I aint a mod so it isnt going anywhere for the time being. But yeah if you can get a 5700U over a 5500 I definitely would, though it would help to know what you want to use with it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Let me guess, you want to play HL2 when its released? In which case, as much as I hate the company, your best bet would be ATi, since it has cards around the fx series price range that are much better in dx9 and supposedly at HL2 itself (I dont trust benchmarks)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i have an ati radeon 9000 64mb 4xagp right now and have SWkotOR and it crashes like mad with my ati, but my brother has an fx 5200 128mb 4xagp and it doesnt crash. this sounds good but too pricy. http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=VCCH-SA5700256&REFID=PW
i just want a good board that will run games at a good speed, im going to be getting nfsu2 dont know bout hl2 though.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well a 5600u or a 9600pro wuld be your best bets for budget and speed. NFSU2 and HL2 are both D3D games which ATi accels in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
matt511 said:
well i have an ati radeon 9000 64mb 4xagp right now and have SWkotOR and it crashes like mad with my ati, but my brother has an fx 5200 128mb 4xagp and it doesnt crash. this sounds good but too pricy. http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=VCCH-SA5700256&REFID=PW
i just want a good board that will run games at a good speed, im going to be getting nfsu2 dont know bout hl2 though.

Thats cause ATi aint so great when it comes to OpenGL and quake 3 based games (one reason why I dont like ATi). IIRC they are still rewriting their OpenGL driver, or something along those lines. If your not going to get HL2 then you should be fine with an fx card. Im sure that you can play HL2 with an fx, but how well and at what level of detail is the question.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Or get a Radeon 9800SE and softmod it to a 9800 Pro, look for ones with L shaped memory and a power connector, i know the serial number for a softmodderble 9800SE is R98SE-C3 not XR98SE-C3G for a Powercolour card

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know my top secret! Hahaha! I got these stuff from Irken soldiers! Look at this human being! My top secret is the fastest model in all planets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
I've Changed
298 Posts
Invader Zim, of what use was that!!! Just two words for you: Go Away!!! Admin, Admin, this guy needs to be informed of the rules about useless posts and spam.
Back to topic: Ahem, the entire line of FX cards was made for DX9. But, that aside, a 5500 at $78.00 buckazoids? I'd say jump on it. it should serve you well and yes, I know about video cards, I'm a self proclaimed grapichs "freak" among other things.
sx/amiga

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
the entire GFFX line sucks for DX9 gaming, go for ATI in a 9600pro/xt, if want more OGL power then go for nVIDIA and an GFFX 5600u or better (dont get SE cards from ati, or SE/LE/XT cards from nVIDIA those just suck)

choices choices, OGL or DX9 u want, well OGL games are great (i love OGL anyway lol) but most of the games are released DX9 based

i dunno why but i know you will go for an nVIDIA card, i would say go for a 5600 card, i just saw one on newegg at 93bucks, i know is not so cheap, but is a lot better than taht 5500 has 256mb, 1300 MTexels/s of fillrate instead of 1080MTexels/s of the 5500, and 10.40 GB/s of memory bandwidth instead of 6.40GB/s of the 5500, very much better card :) and much much great for that price

its your choice anyway :p

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...14-150-036&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Video+Cards

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Invader Zim is banned for a week

usually it's 3 strikes for a perm ban, but I'm not in no good mood today :evil:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks all for the tips, im still iffy on which card to get, but beings i havent had problems with nvidia boards i will probly go with the one at newegg. i have had probs with the ati not running as good as it should or prog incompats but oh well.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I am a bit biased but I was also considering a card in the same range as you. Finally decided to go for xfx geforce4ti4200 8x vivo platinum gamers edition. The best value for money card available. Its not dx9 but that doesnt make any difference.Hopefully I will get it tomorrow and then I can give a detailed review.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts