1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
No I do not, I only know that DScaler is one of (if not THE) best capture softwares available (and it's free!).

So I'm just suggesting that a card compatible with this software would be a better choice...

There's a list of compatible devices on the DScaler site.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok ill check out that site. I wasn't really thinking when i made this thread lol. Thats why i edited it about a tv tuner.

edit: how does this look? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260014 . I want something kinda like this, that doesnt require pc to be on. But sombody said the quality was bad for ps2 snd xbox. Would that seem true or is that person doing somthign wrong? Also I have comcast cable. Would this remove som of the channels? idk wut over the air channels are. i just watch tv i dont study it

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Actually you're not interested in capturing gameplay videos aren't you ?

In this case you're looking for something called VGA BOX:

- The XRGB series from Micomsoft are top quality for PS2, Xbox or any other 'non-hd' system (but rare and pricey).
- The HD BOX PRO seems to be a good alternative at least for PS2 (easy to find).
- The HORI UPSCAN CONVERTER 2 is also a good alternative and works for both PS2 and Xbox (rare but cheap).

There are also plenty of other cheap VGA boxes but most give really bad results.

But seriously: getting a single device for both consoles and TV, with good quality, is hard...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I really want something that lets me watch tv, and also play games on the monitor. But with good quality like 1080i or 1080p. but I havnt seen any 1080p tv tuners on newegg. I think 100$ would be the max i'd pay if anyone knows of any good tuners. Also, if its not like an external thing that doesnt require the pc to be on, then it has to be pci.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Wow... such device doesn't exist. And if it did it would cost you an eye or two. :D
Don't expect too much from these machines, especially those that support both consoles and tv... sorry. :(

You should consider buying one dedicated to consoles, like the ones I listed. But despite being very good (XRGB are the best) they can not upscale to 1080i or 1080p (that's not needed to get decent quality anyway).
Some professional scaling units can do it more or less well, but they're VERY expensive.
(Some brands sell VGA boxes that claim beaing able to do beautiful 1080p for less than a 100 bucks, but that's blatant lie).

And then find a seperate dedicated TV tuner.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't make sense for it to cost a lot. Cuz then you mine aswell buy a LCT TV for 300$ thats 23" lol

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Well yeah, I was gonna say this anyway. :D

PS: actually I remembered the brand Hori used to make a VGAbox/TVtuner combo that might be of decent quality... the thing is I don't know if the TV tuner part will be compatible with signals other than japanese. ^^
And the thing might be hard to find now.

I really think you're looking for some Grail here... so I don't know... what about selling your current monitor and buy an LCD TV instead, like you said ? :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm the kind of person that would rather have something sit around, then to sell and rebuy lol. I don't play consoloes much, since i got this good enough pc for emulators. I would just like the option of pluging in a gamecube or ps2. But I deffinitly need a tv tuner. So I guess i'll just get one, and if it's quality with consoles sucks, then oh well.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Yeah Skoreanime speaks the truth, that's even better. :D
Nothing beats a good 4:3 crt TV, like a Sony Trinitron for instance.
These babes cost (used of course) between 50-100€ for a 21" and 100-200€ for a 29" now, and if you get an european or japanese model: they have scart rgb input -> absolute best.

But any other brand is good as long as it's in good shape... I'm worried about that, they're disappearing, our good old crts. :cry:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I didn't expect consoles to look better just because of a tv tuner lol. Ok so forget about me wanting to play consoles on it too. Can somone reccommend a good tv tuner?
Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC TV Tuner PCI w/Remote 1178 PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices
I was thinking this one, but after reading the reviews somone has had problems with vista ultimate, hd channels, somone said it wasnt really 16:9 aspect ratio. Idk if this is all true.
But I am using vista ultimate, and i would like 1080i 16:9. Idk if I have hd channels on my comcast cable lol. how do I know if this works with comcast?

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Yeah Skoreanime speaks the truth, that's even better. :D
Nothing beats a good 4:3 crt TV, like a Sony Trinitron for instance.
These babes cost (used of course) between 50-100€ for a 21" and 100-200€ for a 29" now, and if you get an european or japanese model: they have scart rgb input -> absolute best.

But any other brand is good as long as it's in good shape... I'm worried about that, they're disappearing, our good old crts. :cry:
I have one, and it's absolutely the best for my PS2 and Dreamcast, but the 360 is hooked up to my pc monitor instead...

speaking of which, my monitor has in addition to vga and dvi also an svideo and composite connector, how funny is that =P
I've also got a tv card though, and I sometimes capture from consoles (I hate all those crappy cam recordings on youtube =P )

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
You ever tried the Dreamcast in VGA with the right cable ? It's awesome, that's the only 'old gen' console I hook up to an LCD. All the rest goes to the Trinitron and another smaller crt (now I wish I had two Trinitrons because, heh, got around 10 consoles and a supergun. It's a mess of cables :???:).

The S-Video and composite connectors on some LCD brands might bring awful quality but it's kind of convenient I guess...

@moccor: sorry I don't know much about TV tuners, only VGA boxes...:(

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
You ever tried the Dreamcast in VGA with the right cable ? It's awesome, that's the only 'old gen' console I hook up to an LCD. All the rest goes to the Trinitron and another smaller crt (now I wish I had two Trinitrons because, heh, got around 10 consoles and a supergun. It's a mess of cables :???:).
The problem is that my monitor's own upscaling capabilities are poor. The xbox does it itself, and on the pc it's done by the gfx card too.
The DC only looks good on 1:1 , and then the picture's simply too small. It used to look really good on my old CRT, though.

The S-Video and composite connectors on some LCD brands might bring awful quality but it's kind of convenient I guess...

@moccor: sorry I don't know much about TV tuners, only VGA boxes...:(
Any previous gen consoles are going to look like crap on your PC monitor, especially when you run it through a tuner. FYI.
Hm... when using D-Scaler + s-video, I'd say about the same as running any previous gen console on an LCD tv.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
The problem is that my monitor's own upscaling capabilities are poor. The xbox does it itself, and on the pc it's done by the gfx card too.
The DC only looks good on 1:1 , and then the picture's simply too small. It used to look really good on my old CRT, though.
Hm... when using D-Scaler + s-video, I'd say about the same as running any previous gen console on an LCD tv.
I wonder sometimes if LCD monitors that do not suck too much at upscaling actually exist... I bought an 'above average' 20" 4:3 1600x1200 8ms P-MVA two years ago and it does the job ok for the DC.
But imagine: before that one I had a... DIAMONDTRON 2070 SB !!!!! :cry:
It's impossible to find monitors of that quality in good shape now. Curse the LCD era.

And DScaler + S-Video... is the best 'simple and budget' solution we can get for now I guess (don't know much). Professional stuff is soooo expensive. :(

·
Read Only
10,484 Posts
I don't want to jack this thread, but I recently bought a Toshiba 32" CRT tv. :D
Has like 3 video ports and 1 S-Video port.

I would like to play games from a laptop on it, the laptop has a 9800gts card with vga and hdmi port.

What do I need to play games/ watch movies on the tv from it? I saw on amazon some vga to S-video cables, don't know if those might work.

Any info please.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.