Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it not be nice to have a list of all the current status of the emulators and the plugins. I'm not talking version status, but compatibility percentage. Kind of a compilation of where each emulator for playstion is in the development stage. Which ones handle what games better and what are the top choices with version number for plugins to use. Also for each emulator, the best general setup available. This list could be a one stop and look information faq that is dated instead of combing through old threads on each emulator to see where there at and how to config or fix problems.

It's just a thought, but I still dig playing the playstation games with the enhanced graphics a computer can supply.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I think what your talking about would be eithier to simple or too large. It it was just emulator percentages it would be too simple because there would only be a few entries (assuming only next and previous gen emulators... no atari) If it included games it would be HUGE. So I think what you are more looking at is a whole database with each game for each emulator and how well each game runs on each emulator. Ngemu has this sortof thing but it's not very accurate in my opinion.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
ya as chrono said above thats the database i was talking about but I think the guy above wanted something more than a list with only PSX emulators on it.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
we have such a list, but it's disguised as this entire forum.

let's start with an example. you want to play Final Fantasy VII again, but you dont know if it's been emulated. so you come to Emuforums and do a search and holy mother of pearl there are like 5 million threads on it! just read a little and you can figure out which emulator works and what plugins to use, etc.

but what if you come across a game no one has ever tried? well, do what i do--just try it! i know, to many people, this is absurd...to try a game that they dont know will absolutely work is worse than jumping in front of moving traffic, but seriously, people do it all the time. just pop the game in and experiment with settings. pete has the "nice" preset in his plugins for a reason.

and if it so happens that no one has tried the game, and you cant get it to work, you can always come here and ask for help. and who knows, maybe set a precedent for others.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
a list would be too large and too inacurate to have, people having some settings for their emu/plugins where others do not and get frustrated as not everything works the same, well, thats what the forums are for anyway to solve your problems (sorta)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
yeah, i guess that's what i wanted to get across. i hate when people are like "well the compatibility list says 100%!" or something...i'd rather there be a precedent set as far as a post about it or something.

and as always, users are encouraged to post their "perfect" settings and some screenshots, either in PSX screenshots or plugin questions & troubleshooting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, It's sort of like the affermentioned posts, but I guess what I was try to get at is a percentile or average system of compatiblity faq. For example: epsxe seems to be the strongest of the emulators. So the idea is I would check in the faq under epsxe and read: so and so plugins work well with this group of games (the most popular or sports type etc...) but so and so type of game works better with psxeven with these so and so plugins.

I no it's vague and on the borderline of a complete compatibility list which would be near imposible. I just thought if a list comprising of connect the dots type information would be alot better than a 100% all games faq compatibility guide.

I guess I see it as the emulators available are very good right now and with users submitting the same "three" questions on the same "three" games. I thought it would be no big deal to generalize a chart or grid of what emulator and plugins would work better for what type of game you run.

I for one see that a rpg game emulates different than a sports title.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
i dont see what you're getting at, and i guess you dont see what im getting at either. here, i'll make you a troubleshooting checklist.

So you just bought a new game eh?

1. put it into ePSXe. use Eternal for sound with default settings (if any special fixes pertain, check them). use OGL2 with Nice preset (again with special fixes). Does game work? if so, stop here. if not, continue.
2. go to emuforums, and search for your game. read replies. did you find something that helped? if so, stop. if not, continue
3. make a post asking for help. did this help? if so, stop. if not, then you are probably out of luck--use your Playstation.

your method is just, in a nutshell....my entire step 2---using the search function and seeing what other people tried. and what if this game isnt in the DB.....? then you go to my step 3 (make a post). what i'm trying to say is, your method IS my method, you just don't realize it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, It's awsome that these forums help out and I thank and appreciate your input hushypushy. I'm a horrible communicator sometimes so what I'm trying to get at is not being said right so what I'll do is create my idea myself when I get time. This should work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.