Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say if I had two GTX 295's in a Quad-SLI setup. Would Dolphin be able to utilize this, and give me a good framerate on such a high-resolution monitor (I.E. would I be able to hit the natural cap that the emulator is capable of giving in terms of frames per second?)

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
The game would not scale that high so it would be pointless.

There is only so much refinement a game can take if it has been made at a certain lower resolution.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Highly dependent upon other factors such as the app/game, CPU, RAM, etc. Generally I'd have to say yeah, it would definitely be possible. Personally, I can't justify the use of SLI; it's a huge waste of money as far as I'm concerned. (especially with 2 GTX 295s :/)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The game would not scale that high so it would be pointless.

There is only so much refinement a game can take if it has been made at a certain lower resolution.
Ah, so then I wouldn't have a problem with frames per second if I did get the monitor for other purposes? It would just stay at its native resolution and run with the max amount of FPS that the emulator can produce?

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
In a nutshell. What videocard do you have now? A 30" 2560 x 1600 requires dual dvi btw. And you need ANYDVD to crack the HDCP on the second in put ussually

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea what videocard i have now... I'm on a crappy 3 year old Vaio. I'm making a computer now though, a good one for gaming, which is why I was wondering if I would kill my chances of using Dolphin if I went with the monitor i'm looking at (since GCN emulation already has a framerate issue).

also this might sound ignorant, but what is HDCP? o_O

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
The monitor does not matter, your videocard/cpu does. Often emulators require more cpu muscle then pc games, which use gpu muscle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i should be set then with this i7 i'm about to buy.

How well would a GTX 295 run Dolphin? I know that Dolphin doesn't support SLI, but... would just one of the cards be enough to play Dolphin, since the games aren't very graphically demanding?

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
SLI would be wasted, so a GTX260 would be more then enough.
Do you really need an i7? The performance hop over the Core 2 series is negligible, especially when you can clock the **** out of the 45nm chips.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do you really need an i7? The performance hop over the Core 2 series is negligible, especially when you can clock the **** out of the 45nm chips.
It would future-proof his investment for some months more than a Core 2 would, at least. BTW, can't you connect your Wii to that screen, though?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Dude i7 is a huge leap over core2. And you can also clock the bejiminies out of a 920, which by itself costs a fraction of the equivalent qx7770. A [email protected] creams a [email protected]

·
Registered
377 Posts
Future-proofing a rig is a fallacy in itself. The moment you buy it, it's "outdated."
Obviously. Hence the statement "for some months".

It looks like money is not a problem since he wants a Quad-SLI, so he'll be better with a Core i7 anyway.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It is somewhat possible to future proof. Ok it's true that a better model will arrive on the scene, but the idea is that what you have now won't go obsolete in half a year. If you had bought an E6600 when it first arrived you would have had a processor that would still stand up today - or a Q6600 for that matter. Graphics cards are a different story, but I imagine that a dual gtx295 setup would be able to handle any game you could chuck at it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i doubt dolphin takes advantage of multi gpu setups. it would only utilise one chip and memory in the gtx 295 (i.e. use theoretically half the power)

i run my cards in crossfire and i don't see a blind bit of difference in the performance of games when i play them. if you're just getting this setup for dolphin only, it won't work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
man ive got an e6600 clocked stable at 3.6 ghz since it came out running at 1.4785 volts. You can get the equivilant 2.4 ghz for a couple of hundred australian bucks today. Why pay $1000 ( i think for an i7) for an extra 500-1000mhz.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the core i7 is thunderously quick compared to the old q6600. quicker even than the 45nm variants - the only last gen processor that can touch it isthe old qx quads. and they still cost £800 a pop.

and the core i7 920 can be had for about £200, and it'll overclock like stink (you must be talking about the frankly stupid i7 965 extreme editions)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.