Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
worthwhile?

Hi I want to ask dear gamers sth:
Actually my pc spec are:
AMD X2 4400+(2.3Ghz)
2GB DDR 667
GF 8600GT GIGABYTE (oc)
Win XP Professional Sp2

Because my mainboard have amd socket I have to buy better amd cpu to increase my fps in pcsx2 0.9.6. For example in:
Persona 4 35-60Fps
Magna Carta 20-30
Suikoden III 15-30
Digital Devil Saga 40-55

I want to upgrade my cpu to AMD x2 6400+(3.2Ghz)
Will that allow me to play listed games or other ps2 games in playable speed? And by that I mean 60+ almost all the time. Will the difference(from 2.3 to 3.2) will be enough to think about upgrading? I saw recommended cpu for pcsx2 and AMD 6400+ is listed there.
Thx for reply

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Nope. Sadly. Let's try an estimate.....

2.3Ghz to 3.2Ghz is a 39% improvement.

And 39% of 30FPS is 41.7FPS. So your estimated FPS improvements are roughly.....

Persona 4 45-60 FPS
Magna Carta 25-42 FPS
Suikoden III 20-42 FPS
Digital Devil Saga 54-60 FPS

So probably no. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But should we just look at Ghz numbers? I mean that 6400+ AMD is actually the strongest x2 series cpu and it also has 2Mb L2 cache and faster RAM so I guess there will be better results

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Yeah but AMD CPU's didnt do that great at first with there first batch of dual cores, either redirect yourself towards a Phenom 2 920/940 and overclock it and a decent cooling, either get yourself a new motherboard, a intel core 2 duo E8400 a good cooling system and overclock it to 4 Ghz & problem solved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the problem is my mainboard only supports x2 and 64bit amd athlons. That's why I want to know if upgrading from 4400 to 6400 will help me get about 15-20 fps more in games (playable RPG games)

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
if you buy that 6400+ you can OC it to at least 3.5GHz, or buy a 6000+ (Brisbane, 65nm) and bump it to 3.7GHz or so.

any solution will not give you full FPS, but the experience will be much more enjoyable instead that 2.3GHz X2.

If you can't OC, then first look for a mobo that let you play with the voltages, OC is fun and will give you very nice boost performance than getting bored using a 4.0GHz capable CPU at only It "stock" of 2.5-3.0GHz speed.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Umm.... The performance increase in PCSX2 is nearly nil. Sadly not the same performance if you use a 2MB cache Core2Duo processor and then use a 1MB Core2Duo at the same frequency.

Expect at max a 10% difference.

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
If you plan only to change the CPU (without OC), then get the faster/cheaper CPU available, but if It's for PCSX2 only, then keep your current X2 and save for a C2D setup, you'll only to change the mobo and the CPU, remember to pick up a mobo that let you play with the voltages, Gigabyte made nice boards, look for the S3 (and above) models, you can pick up a entry C2D model for cheap and OC it, and don't forget to buy an aftermarket cooler, you can buy a cheap one like the HyperTX2 from CM to achieve high and healthy OCs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually I have S type Gigabyte motherboard because Gigabyte is doing in my opinion very good components(already have GF 8600GT oc by Gigabyte and GDDR 3 added and it's running great). I have oveclocked gpu a little but I don't want to interfere into cpu. Besides I have another simple cooler inside my pc also. I'm just wandering if 6400+ won't be heating to much even without oc. Btw is that true that BE don't have cooler in box?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.