Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading my processor to a P3 1 Ghz. I don't want to get a whole new system and a P3 1 Ghz is the highest my motherboard can support. I tried overclocking but it doesn't seem to go that high (it's only got a cB0 core stepping). My primary motivation for the upgrade is for 3D gaming. I think my current processor is a bottleneck for my videocard. So, anyone think it's worth it?

· Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Depending on the price you'll pay for it, I'd say that it's worth upgrading to P3 1GHz. You should get some speed improvements. Of course, if you overclock it, you will get even better results.

· Registered
900 Posts
you have to get the 1000E 100 mhz fsb chip. your motherboard is a bx board so chances of running 133 mhz stable are slim plus it only has a 2/3 agp divider so you really don't want to run 133 anyways.

there are two be6 II boards

be6 II
be6 II rev 2

and your motherboard is the bottleneck, not the processor. 440bx was good at the time but now its old new. bx boards cant do agp 4x, they are limited to 4 of ide devices, 100 mhz fsb, 2/3 agp divider.

you might be better off geting a new motherboard that supports 133 mhz bus speeds, agp4, ata 100+ drives. and then you could run your 700 at 933mhz with a decent heatsink.

· Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my board is supposed to support a P3 1 Ghz @ 133 Mhz FSB with the latest BIOS update. I'm not sure about the AGP divider setting though but I know people who've run their BX systems at 133 FSB with no problems.

AGP 2X isn't anything of a limitation at all. There is no game that can take advantage of AGP 4X (yet) so I don't care for it. About hard drives, my board has the HighPoint 366 ATA/66 firmware on it, which can support ATA/66 drives. I don't really need that fast a hard drive, most of the time I can't even tell a difference. The one I got now is ATA33.

If I remember correctly the 440BX was, and still is the best performing P3 platform there is. It has less features but it beats the i815 hands down. I'm looking to max gaming performance with this upgrade.

· Registered
900 Posts
it supports a p3 1000E not eb. look at abits page. bx chipset supports 100 mhz processors. expect a lot of crashes if you try an eb processor.

bx is long dead and its nowhere near a the top of the line p3 board. via has ddr p3 boards now as well.

you must have missed the boat on the agp discussion.

agp=advanced graphics port

its speed is based on either 2/3 fsb or 1/1 fsb on a bx board. on a i810 or higher chipset there is also a 1/3 fsb. the goal is to set it so agp=66mhz

so say your board is agp 2x.
your running at 100 fsb and your agp is set to 2/3.

your video card clock speed is 133 mhz 2x(100x(2/3))

in agp4 you would be running 266 mhz 4x(100x(2/3))

and ata 66 is a lot faster than ata chug chug chug 33.

· Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ebola
it supports a p3 1000E not eb. look at abits page. bx chipset supports 100 mhz processors. expect a lot of crashes if you try an eb processor.
The BE6-II "UH" BIOS revision supports P3 1 Ghz (133 Mhz FSB)
http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/download/bios/bios-be6r2.htm
I agree that a 133 Mhz FSB CPU is questionable on a BX board but it's apparently supported by Abit.
you must have missed the boat on the agp discussion.

agp=advanced graphics port

its speed is based on either 2/3 fsb or 1/1 fsb on a bx board. on a i810 or higher chipset there is also a 1/3 fsb. the goal is to set it so agp=66mhz
I am aware of the AGP issue with BX boards, but modern videocards should be able to handle it. At any rate it's a risk I'm willing to take. If it doesn't work I can always get a 1000E processor.
so say your board is agp 2x.
your running at 100 fsb and your agp is set to 2/3.

your video card clock speed is 133 mhz 2x(100x(2/3))

in agp4 you would be running 266 mhz 4x(100x(2/3))
You're referring to the AGP bus speed, not the videocard clock speed.

At any rate there is no game out there that can take advantage of the bandwidth that AGP 4x offers. Comparisons made on Quake 3 at 1600x1200x32 on AGP 2x and AGP 4x showed absolutely no difference at all.
and ata 66 is a lot faster than ata chug chug chug 33.
Yes, and my motherboard has third-party software that can support ATA66 drives. Still, game performance is not heavily dependent on hard drive speeds so it's not a big factor for me.

· 8+ Years
2,800 Posts
I think its worth it. OR if you really dont care just save the money a little longer and get a new system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.