Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now an EVGA 9800 GT Superclocked Edition however I was wondering if it is worth it to upgrade my video card now to the EVGA GTX 285 FTW or if I should just wait.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
definately wait. The jump is far but not quite far enough. Not many games even require a GTX285 yet to maxx them out.

By the time you do need one, they should either be cheaper or something better would have come along.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
It's your call really. I'm in the same situation, and having had researched this a bit, I've decided that at this point, if you're sitting on a 8800GT/9800GT or greater, you'll definitely be fine for now until the next new cards come out. That's not to say there isn't some good better cards out there. There are, but honestly, despite the age of the GeForce 8800GT, stuff that's come out since then has been, well, pretty disappointing in my opinion. It's mostly been more renaming and small improvements rather than actual new stuff or big jumps since the G80 debuted. We used to get a new real series every year or so, and I thought the GeForce 6 to GeForce 7 change was small, but wow, these days it's so much worse. nVidia's spending more time renaming parts than it is making any.

If you do upgrade, the GeForce GTX260 and/or Radeon HD4870 should be the minimum you go for, but unless you go all out, you won't get the same "wow" factor you're used to even with those, and going all out on the current cards means alot of money. Of course the cards I'm waiting for won't be cheap at launch either, but I'd still rather wait for the gap to get bigger. The gap isn't quite at that point just yet. The GeForce 8800GT is still a very capable card.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Waste of money if u buy gtx now the new dx 11 gddr5 card coming soon u will stare at your gtx with tear

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Wait for some new technology, you may even need a new PSU as well when you put in this beast, if it doesn't have the required type of connections. The performance gain isn't worth the money I think. Especially not on a 19" screen.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Or planning to play on huge monitor my 8800gt can play crysis with very high setting i dont think this card will be ignored soon

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Normally I only get a new card if the graphics settings start getting annoying to configure because I can't run the damn thing. At least now if things lag I can just turn the AA down one notch and I'm good to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts