Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmm, I am bored, so lets discuss what everyone's least favorite RPGs are, that should be fun.

the ones I hate are:

1) Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
if you have played this game, its a insult to all americans and its prolly on the top of your list too

2) the Might and Magic series
couldn't really ever get into these, didn't like the 1st person perspective

3) almost all anime based RPGs
My god, the animes kick a**, but they don't even try with thier games, Ranma RPG for SNES was just dull, as was Slayers RPG and all of the DB/DBZ rpgs I have played. Just hope when I play the Kenshin RPG its actually good

4) Diablo
I can't stand it, it has almost no plot, you just keep going deeper and deeper

5) Everquest
I just don't like it, played it up to level 6 before. lost my corpse noone would help me retreive it, just gopt boring to me.

what are your least fav RPGs? or RPGs you straight out hate, loath and wish never were made?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Whee, another poll post.

In response to your topic, it depends on whether it's emulated or not. If you're basing it only on the game itself, I'd say Legend of Dragoon. Hideous plot, generally bad music, bad graphics (strange, considering that's supposed to be its strong point), Engrish everywhere, absolutely lousy characters minus Rose (who in pretty much any other RPG would be one of the least interesting characters), and a battle system that pretty much eliminates the use of some characters. Emulated, however, it's almost decent.

The one RPG I'd say is just plain bad is Quest 64. Eek.

Btw, are you referring to Diablo or Diablo II? Because Diablo does have a fairly decent plot (if you actually take the time to read the manual and read each and every possible book). Of course, if you don't do either of those, the plot is simply "Kill Diablo and others, kthnx"

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
referring to both diablo and diablo 2, and quest 64 was really bad.

but I really enjoyed Legend of Dragoon, until I got to the end on epsxe of disc 4 and it wouldn't get by one part, that was annoying.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
i think diablo the plot wasn't that bad, if you know how to understand and relate your quests anyway, but if you're one who doesn't like to read or listen to what the people are saying (like the people Asz hate), oh well... but i guess its best merit is its simple originality, not that it twas the first , but rather it popularized its own genre (wow, i used this word twice this day:p). Well at least it might have done something right.. being one of the the top selling games of all time and all, but.. oh well.. :p

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Originally posted by Ryoga
hmm, I am bored, so lets discuss what everyone's least favorite RPGs are, that should be fun.

the ones I hate are:

1) Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
if you have played this game, its a insult to all americans and its prolly on the top of your list too

actually, it's quite a nice game for people just warming up to rpgs. the battle system isn't all that hard to figure out, and the storyline's pretty much straightforward. Definitely not the proverbial cup of tea to hardcore RPG gamers, but worth a consideration to those just starting in RPG gaming.

3) almost all anime based RPGs
My god, the animes kick a**, but they don't even try with thier games, Ranma RPG for SNES was just dull, as was Slayers RPG and all of the DB/DBZ rpgs I have played. Just hope when I play the Kenshin RPG its actually good
Magic Knight Rayearth for SFC was a good one, as with Saiyuki: Journey West. :) Haven't tried GateKeepers, though.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Keiichi: I agree the MKR SNES one was pretty good, even if it was terribly easy. I also liked the Saturn MKR one, although Working Designs butchered it... :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Re: Re: Worst RPGs ever, what are yours?

Originally posted by Keiichi

actually, it's quite a nice game for people just warming up to rpgs. the battle system isn't all that hard to figure out, and the storyline's pretty much straightforward. Definitely not the proverbial cup of tea to hardcore RPG gamers, but worth a consideration to those just starting in RPG gaming.

Magic Knight Rayearth for SFC was a good one, as with Saiyuki: Journey West. :) Haven't tried GateKeepers, though.
Correction: I don't think Saiyuki is anime-based... althought there is a Saiyuki (Gensoumaden Saiyuki) anime... in which the characters got all changed and storyline messed up, but still very very cool nonetheless :p

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
"Saiyuki takes its inspiration from the Chinese novel Hsi Yu Chi, or Journey to the West." I haven't read it, but supposedly it's a pretty popular Chinese legend.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Xeven
i think diablo the plot wasn't that bad, if you know how to understand and relate your quests anyway, but if you're one who doesn't like to read or listen to what the people are saying (like the people Asz hate), oh well... but i guess its best merit is its simple originality, not that it twas the first , but rather it popularized its own genre (wow, i used this word twice this day:p). Well at least it might have done something right.. being one of the the top selling games of all time and all, but.. oh well.. :p
umm, being a best seller says nothing, lets look at other "great" best sellers pokemon, bet you love that. Goldeneye (a half decent 3d-shooter, but nothing compared to PC 2d shooters, buts lets not get into the PC vs console 2d shooter argument, Ive been there before.) and lets see, oh yeah deer hunter is a best seller too. Personally I don't see everyone great attachment to Diablo, if you compare its plot to ANY FF (save mystic quest) or Baldurs gate, its still terrible and almost non existant. Its a "passive" plot, meaning it doesn't HAVE to invole the player really. Ilike more "active" plots like FF, CT, BG, and others with active plots.

Thats just my 2 cents, hope I haven't bored anyone, if you ever decided to read this.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
In just about any PC RPG, the true quality of a plot can only be found with careful exploration. Really the only PC RPG plot I like that doesn't require that as much is Planescape Torment. Gamers who prefer the "lemme have it" console RPGs aren't going to like that quality of PC RPGs.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
true, but in most if you just go thorugh you will get SOME plot no matter what. Or it gave you direction to search, like baldur's gate 2 was done great, its actually plot was linear, but since it had SO many side quests WITH a great deal of plot that you could do in any order, you sort of forgot that part :)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Ryos
"Saiyuki takes its inspiration from the Chinese novel Hsi Yu Chi, or Journey to the West." I haven't read it, but supposedly it's a pretty popular Chinese legend.
It's a fun little legend... Son Goku (Sun Wu Kong) is the coolest ape ever... well, of course, Gk's chimp still tops my list of greatest apes of the planet :D

[edit] All right... to stay on topic, worst RPG I ever played.. hmm... it's probably Super Hydlide (or something like that) on Sega Genesis.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts