Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
word.

today i tried running pcsx2 on my new macbook pro, and it worked like a dream. full speed for a while, then a framerate drop that was still playable. but a couple of things wierded me out.

first of all, as i was running in windowed mode, i could see the cpu usage on the top of the window. it went from 80 percent-ish, to about 500 percent-ish, which is wierd. then it jumped up to random ridiculously large numbers, then random ridiculously large negative numbers. which is wierder.

the biggest problem, however, made me quite worried.

i can run crysis at a great framerate on high settings across the board. my macbook pro gets hot when i do this, but that's to be expected, and isn't so hot that i get concerned. but when running pcsx2, it got so hot that i immediately shut down the program when i noticed, and started panicking. i mean, almost too hot to keep your hand pressed on it. and it's taking it's sweet time to cool down, though it's now not nearly as hot.

i guess what i'm asking is, is this normal? and more importantly, how do i prevent such drastic heat up?

i run a 15.4'' Macbook Pro, with 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo
4g ram, nvidia geforce 9600m gt graphics card with 512mb ddr3 ram
running on xp service pack 3 using boot camp.

i was also using the 1.5x speedhack, but turned that on halfway through my playtime, and i was using a controller, so i don't know if it started heating up before i enabled it or not.

i was running okami off of the disk. would it help if i made an iso and ran it on a virtual drive?

the jump from 500-ish percent to the ridiculous numbers only occured after i enabled the 1.5x speed hack as well. and by ridiculous numbers, i mean numbers that were eight or nine digits long.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
emulation is more complex then normal games, and as such requires more processing power.

laptops get so hot because the coolers used have crap all thermal paste applied >.>

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nuts. is there anything i can do to avoid the heatup? i've noticed that my laptop heats up less when running mac os x, is there a way to run pcsx2 on that?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
well for one you should make sure that the vents on the bottom are not covered up or blocked by anything while it is in use, otherwise the heat will build up like crazy. also make sure you never have it resting on a soft surface like a mattress or sofa, a surface like that would have little to no resistance to the weight of it and the heat would build up just as bad, if not worse. what squall mentioned is equally important though, dont ignore that aspect either.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
PCSX2 has a mac port, but that's not working all that well (thats the impression I get anyway).
So, since your laptops cooling is insufficient, all you can do is try to improve that.

Also:
While PCSX2 does stress the cpu, it's nowhere as demanding as say prime95, or intels cpu burn test.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there aren't any vents on the bottom of my laptop, actually. in fact, there aren't any vents on it. at all. which i never thought about before.

i do understand that running pcsx2 is going to require more processing power, but i'm still concerned about the amount that it was using. eight or nine digits on a percent seems like it shouldn't happen. the 500-ish percent is understandable, but not 193765839 percent. does anyone else experience this?

i also don't know a whole lot about computer hardware in regards to heat up. i know processors will slow themselves down when they get too hot, but if they get way too hot is there any safeguard against that? and what is the wear and tear like, or can they handle running to extreme temperatures?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha, i totally fixed my problem in pretty much the best way possible.

as it turns out, there is a vent, it's where the monitor connects to the base of my macbook pro. i also discovered that the case of the base unit acts as a heatsink for the entire unit, according to apple.com

so i grabbed an old stiffboard binder, and cut a huge square out of one of the covers, leaving about an inch border of the binder left and tossed my laptop on top of it. this allowed for better airflow underneath the unit, letting the heat dissipate better as it flowed through the binder. before, i only played about 15 minutes of okami, but i just finished an hour long play, and it didn't get even close to as hot as it was before. i downloaded a hardware monitor, and my laptop was only running from high 70 to low 90 degrees celsius, which is high, but apparently more than acceptable for the macbook pro. and it ran from 70-90 percent of the ps2 actual framerate the whole time, no slowdowns as it got hotter.

what a simple fix. free too. and easy.

my only problem left is that the emulation hangs anytime the fan engages. does anyone know a good program for xp that will let me leave the fan running while using pcsx2?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.