Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
!
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Samsung LD220 world's first USB monitor for notebooks
Samsung Electronics recently demonstrated the world's first USB monitor, dedicated to notebook computers. The Samsung LD220 is specifically designed for use with mobile machines, providing large amount of space for doing productive office work or for recreational activities. The USB monitor supports a 5ms response time, 300cd/m2 brightness, and 30,000:1 contrast ratio. No word on pricing and availability.
Source
What else?

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
I can't imagine it having a fast refresh rate, high resolution or high color depth, given the bandwidth limitations of usb 2.0

perhaps 1 or 2 of the 3 at a time but not all 3.

edit: okay koko added the image after began typing my post.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
And you also have to consider if it's only USB connection, it's not very compatible. Something like the USB->VGA/DVI adapter and a decent regular monitor would be a better option, really.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
you only need 50mhz to display an image on ascreen :p

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Ugh...

Perhaps nice if you have a video to display where synchronization isn't that much needed, but otherwise I'll stick with DVI.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
"The USB monitor supports a 5ms response time, 300cd/m2 brightness, and 30,000:1 contrast ratio"

Standard, perfect. A lot of people I know would buy this..... If their laptops didn't have VGA / S-Video plugs already..... =P

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Adding to that, most don't even reach the 300cd, and the 30,000 is just an advertised value of dynamic contrast.... marketing :yawn:

·
9,320 Posts
Yeah there are bandwidth limitations on usb 2.0 480Mbit/s so i have trouble seeing it having anywhere 60hz refresh at high resolutions and color depth.

Edit: nvm

Wow suprised it is good enough

its a 22 inch screen judging from the model name
(1680 x 1050) x (32 bit) x (60 hz) = 338,680,000bits = ~339Mb/s

1920x1200 would be beyond though.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
That's response time, which was already declared at 5ms.

I'm looking for refresh rate.
Hahaha...sorry. I've been kinda out of it myself lately...big reason why I haven't been trolling the boards as much :p

Them not releasing the refresh is something to be concerned about...or maybe they're just assuming that we assume it's the base 60Hz?

·
9,320 Posts
the quality of the usb controller and southbridge would probably play a factor in performance.

My own computers cannot achieve close to the theoretical limit of of usb 2.0, achieving 30MB/s usually with my usb hdds.

maybe thats part of the reason, only in optimal conditions will the monitor perform as advertised.

Start transfering to your usb hdd while this monitor is plugged in and your usb controller gets swamped dropping the monitors refresh rates.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
thats more of a limitation with the power capacity then anything. especially if it isn't powered externally.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
I can see some idiot with a 1999 computer and USB 1.1. He's gonna need a new monitor and walk into best buy and see that and think "Well, USB is real easy to hook up. I'll get that one!", and then get home and wonder why the monitor works so poorly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.