Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making this thread just to keep the hardware forums a bit more interesting over the holidays and then some. We have great daily conversations going with hardware, but nothing really on watercooling.

So I decided to step up and show the rest of you (except ones who already have a watercooled rig *cough*Phil*cough* ;)) just how it goes and maybe...hopefully interest some of you to jump onto the bandwagon :D

Daily updates are what I'm hoping for, with pics and my usual epic comments :thumb:

Enjoy!

Day 1 (and a half really...:p)

-Disassembled current rig from old tower
-Installed PSU, hard drives and ROM drive into new tower

Stripped my 9800GX2 of it's stock cooling tonight.

Tomorrow, I'll be installing this bad boy. I would do it tonight, but I realized I don't have any Isopropyl Alcohol lying around... and q tips :(

That GPU block is made of nickel, so it's quite heavy. It's 1kg :drool:

I promise better quality shots tomorrow...when I get my camera back :emb:

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No update tonight unfortunately.

I'm going to be wrapping presents and then some cleaning for some guests over the holidays... :(

An update tomorrow though, I promise!

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Wow how did I miss this thread. Very cool undertaking skore. I don't have the nerve to try something like that.

Oh and don't eat too much fruitcake :p

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, first off, a bit of an update on what happened earlier yesterday.

Mom sees me building a new computer (course I"m just replacing the cooling system...). She wants a new one too. Said she'll give me $300 to get her one. I decide to give her my P35 board, the RAM, PCI GPU and buy her a cheap dual core Celeron.

I then went out and bought this :) Was the last one on the shelf too. Paid no PST and sent my $20 rebate :D

It's not even my Christmas gift but it sure felt like it :p!

Anyhoo, I worked on my single radiator next. Filled it with boiling water, let it sit for 10min, rinsed it out with distilled water and repeated it 3-4 times to make sure it was completely clean. Best way to check is empty out the water when flushing the rad into a clear glass bowl and see how the water looks. Use a glass bowl, never plastic or anything similar.

The finished product with the barbs!

Next I went onto the pump. It's a Swiftech MCP355 pump. Base model, it's not that great, but I ordered the EK DDC replacement top. Basically, it made this tiny pump into a monster :lol:

The left part is the EK DDC, the right is the bottom half of the original pump.

Got around to finally install the GPU waterblock on my 9800GX2. This thing took awhile...I literally had to find the worlds smallest screw driver to unscrew the GPU screws...they're the smallest things I've ever seen!

Phew, I'm really driving myself tonight (and it's Christmas nonetheless :lol:). Next up, the CPU block. Got myself what is considered the best model, the Swiftech Apogee GTZ. Cleaning it was pretty simple, much easier then the radiator cleaning :p. Take apart the block, soak the copper base plate part in Isopropyl alcohol for about 10min, take it out and scrub it clean with a brand new just out of box toothbrush soaked in some more Isopropyl alcohol. After a few good scrubs, put it back together. You may also want to wear a small mask while doing this. Breathing in 99.9% alcohol directly going to your brain can get you...giddy quite fast :D

Oh, just a side note. I replaced all the stock paste on the motherboard, GPU block and CPU block with Arctic Cooling MX-2 paste. I do have some Arctic Silver 5 lying around but I've been told by other water cooling enthusiasts Silver 5 works better on air cooled set ups.

Here's it installed on the motherboard ;)

Then moved into the tower.

Still waiting on my blue UV tubing and my dual radiator to mount on the top inside the tower, so I can't do much more tonight. Using some standard Tygon tubing to get a measurement here and there and ask for advice on a loop design from more experienced practitioners.

Last thing I did for tonight is install the fan controller. 4 knobs and 2 toggle switches. The toggle switches go from off, 5v and 12v. When you pump 12v into a standard 120mm and other size fans, it's RPM is at it's max. So the toggle switches can only control a fan into going off, just under half speed and full speed. Whereas the knobs can do every speed in between.

More to come in the coming days. Hope you guys are enjoying this :thumb:

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Awesome post Skore. My god your hardcore just like phil. How did you find out about all these things like rinsing out the radiator utterly thoroughly and soaking other parts in isopropal alcohol. That level of thuroughness and detail is why you'd make a good engineer :p

Beautiful system. BTW how did you sell your Cosmo case? I might wanna go for a different one cuz the hdd bays are a pain in the rear.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naw, I still have it. It's sitting in the closet. Lots of nice cases have popped out since the Cosmos, do a little look see and you'll find some good ones.

I go to Xtreme forums to read up on the very enthusiastic part of the PC world. Just spend an hour or two reading over their guides and you'll start to get the idea. And don't let me fool you. I've been reading on watercooling for over a year now, I'm just finally starting to practice what I've been reading ;)

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
You should have went for a Pentium Dual-core at the least for your mom's system. You can often find the E2xx0 CPUs within $10 or less of the Celeron Dual-cores, and the the Celerons only has 512KB L2 cache (on the dual core version, that means only 256KB per core) to work with. Considering the Core architecture really needs at least 1MB per core for good results, that's a serious drawback with only 1/4th that.

I know it's just for your mom, but I never felt the Celeron Dual-core had a place in the lineup at all, since that's what the Pentium Dual-core was, with the Celeron being the single core version of the Pentium Dual-core. Intel has too many tiers. There's the Celeron, the Celeron Dual-core, the Pentium Dual-core, the low end Core 2 Duos (E4x00 and E5x00, even though the latter has a Pentium name), the mid to high range Core 2 Duos (E6xx0, E7x00, E8x00), and then the Extreme versions. That doesn't even include quad core CPUs and the new Core i7 CPUs. Anyway, I'd have sprung for an E5x00 if you could, or at the worst, an E2xx0. The Celeron Dual-core really makes little sense, but I'm sure it'll do fine for her.

In any case, nice results. With that board and water cooling, you better push that CPU far!

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
At the worst an E2xx0:cry: nice
Although i do agree with you. I got a celeron D in my mothers computer. Complete crap. It takes 3x as long for me to encode a movie on it. literally. with nero on my pc its 45 minutes, on my moms, its like 2 and aa half hours...same amount of ram, although i have a slight advantage.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
The Pentium Dual-core CPUs are not the same as the Pentium D CPUs. I blame Intel for making that so confusing though.

Basically, a Pentium Dual-core is a low end Core 2 Duo (but it's still a great performer, I used to have one in another PC), while the Pentium D is a dual core Pentium 4. They're two radically different things. The former is good, while the latter is not so much.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I haven't actually gone and bought the Celeron yet... All she really does is just browse the internet and maybe watch a movie or 2 on the computer, that's all. I'm planning on throwing in a passive CPU cooler with just the exhaust tower fan cooling the system. She's more of a noise freak then I am :p

I'll go and see what the computer shops have...just noticed on their website they've sold out on the Celerons :lol:

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Well, to give you an idea, here's the names with what they really are, since the L2 cache is the real difference. They all have a 200MHz quad pumped (800MHz effective) FSB.

Celeron 4x0 = Core 2, single core, 512KB L2 cache total for 512KB per core.
Celeron Dual-core = Core 2, dual core, 512KB L2 cache total shared between two cores for 256KB per core.
Pentium Dual-core (E2xx0) = Core 2, dual core, 1MB L2 cache total shared between two cores for 512KB per core.

In place of an article's worth of details, look at the cache per core. The Celeron 4x0 has one core, and 512KB L2 cache per core. The E2xx0 is effectively two Celeron 4x0 CPUs rolled together, as it also has 512KB L2 cache per core. The Celeron Dual-core has two cores, but only 512KB L2 cache total, meaning only 256KB L2 cache per core (1MB total shared amongst two cores). The Celeron Dual-core is worse than both, having a measly 256KB L2 cache per core.

Testing has shown a difference between 512KB per core versus 1MB per core (the optimum minimum in my opinion, but 512KB is acceptable), so 256KB L2 cache per core would really hurt I would guess. I've never tried one, but still, for the small cost difference and the overall uselessness of the Celeron Dual-core, get the Pentium Dual-core. It may just be for basic use, but you're better off getting the Celeron 4x0 then. If you want the dual core anyway, aything that does take advantage of multiple cores will be hurt so much by that small cache on it, so you're better off with no less than an E2xx0 for a dual core CPU.

I hope I made that easy to understand the real differences behind the masks of their confusing names and not so redundant. Just don't waste your money on a Celeron Dual-core.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frozencpu.com

Zalman ZM-MFC1 6-Channel Fan Controller

I only ordered from them cause they were the only ones with the 9800GX2 waterblock...saw they had that controller and tossed it in. I mean, I might as well, they charged me $80 for international shipping. Never again will I order from there unless I move to the USA :p

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
AAAAAAAaCCKKKKKK!!!! skore!! you have the radiator inside the case!!! MERCY!!! *WIMPERS* RIGHT NEXT TO THE CPU! dO YOU HAVE IT BOLTED IN yET??

Actually the biggest problem you will have right now is flow. Pressure doesn't matter. See that 90 degree kink in the tubes right at the cpu clock exit hole? that has to be removed, and quick!!! It will outright KILL your flow. My suggestion's is to mount the radiator on the top of the case (inside) this will give you room to curve the loop. (this way, you could mount TWO :evil: :evil: :evil:

check out how my loop is maximized for flow. (Theres several threads on xtremesystems, check out Maxxxracers thread)

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's actually no kink there :p I'll get a better shot tonight to show you. I thought one of the rules of thumb was to keep the tubing as short as possible, so that's what I did. I also do not want my radiators outside the case, I'd like to have everything inside the case :p

And like I said, my real tubing isn't here yet, I'm just playing around with some spare Tygon ;)

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. Ditched the Black Ice GTX quad rad. I heard it was good, but even with my HAF, it would've been a pain to mount it.

May not be as efficient as the outside, yeah, but sure looks a lot better :p I don't mind being a few degrees higher ;)

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 single, 1 double. Double is going on top, single will either stay there or I may move it into the 5.25 bays.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts