Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no easy way to say it, so I just will. Working Designs is gone. All the staff has been laid off and the office is closed and has been for some time. Yes, the website is still here, and I am going to do my best to keep it tucked away somewhere on the 'net so it doesn't become an illicit domain. (Of course, some of the haters may be of the mind that it's been illicit all along, heh!).

Working Designs Forum
That explains why we haven't heard from Working Designs in a long time.

I'm going to miss all those extra goodies Working Designs put in their game packages.

·
Registered
822 Posts
That is sad news indeed, they were the ones that actually work hard to bring stuff that would never set foot out of Japan. I will miss them, but this means my collection from WD will be rather well kept in mint condition, if by chance I desire to sell (small chance btw) it.

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Taisen said:
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
eh? Your kidding right? :rolleyes:

Its always sad to see a publisher go. We had been fans of Working Designs since their Sega CD days. We enjoyed the Lunar series and Vay. Heck..we even liked the Turbografx port of Cadash.

On the Playstation side we were thankful that they brought over the Arc the Lad series and Alundra. We are also looking for Dragon Force for Saturn.

We can't say we have tried Growlanser Generations, but we may check it out.

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
that's odd, i thought they died a long time ago.
oh well, looks like i won't be missing them.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,471 Posts
Taisen said:
DW when will you stop referring to yourself as 'we' and start using 'I'?
When he loses his personality/ies, don't think that's gonna happen.

Anyways, WD brought Lunar TSS and EB to the western market.. even if they butchered the opening song of TSS (the horror..) and they altered the translation of both games a bit I'm still grateful that the company took the risk of delivering those games to us.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Taisen said:
I do not kid.

DW when will you stop referring to yourself as 'we' and start using 'I'?
Sheesh, are you having a bad day or something? oO

Even though I haven't played any of WD's games, I still find it a shame to see a company such as theirs go down. With your first post you're implying you don't like the company at all, may I ask for what reason?

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
I enjoyed Popful Mail and Silpheed, but I hadn't heard of any other games since then...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Also I like the fact that (even though they butchered a bit of the VA) they took the time to do a decent job on the games, their games are classic, especially Lunar and Gahleon which is one of more decent villians in video game history. Again I will miss this company, maybe if they revive as another name they can bring more things for us, just a thought.

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
i have nothing against them, but, whatever happens, they were just a publisher. there's plenty of those around.

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Just a blurb...indeed they are only a publisher, and their are indeed many out there. We just appreciate WD because they were willing to bring great Japanese games to a US market when other publishers seemed to ignore anything that wasn't mainstream.

·
Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
They will truly be missed. Although the means my Lunar: SSSC and Lunar 2: EB and Growlanser boxed sets have become EXTREMELY rare now. Makes me wish I had also purchased the Arc the Lad boxed set....

Great publisher! It's a shame that Sony basically ran them out of business because their games aren't "new and flashy".

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
We just appreciate WD because they were willing to bring great Japanese games to a US market when other publishers seemed to ignore anything that wasn't mainstream.
luckily, XSEED has popped out of nowhere to keep up that role. all praise shadow hearts 3.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
eh? Your kidding right? :rolleyes:

Its always sad to see a publisher go. We had been fans of Working Designs since their Sega CD days. We enjoyed the Lunar series and Vay. Heck..we even liked the Turbografx port of Cadash.

On the Playstation side we were thankful that they brought over the Arc the Lad series and Alundra. We are also looking for Dragon Force for Saturn.

We can't say we have tried Growlanser Generations, but we may check it out.

Honestly. I share his sentiments. Working Designs may have translated some good games. But IMO they damaged alot of game dialogue with there translation. Yes you can americanize((is that a word?)) without putting in Clinton Jokes for instance. It just doesnt work. I appreciate that they brought good titles over. But I dont believe they did the best job in translating. And after the crap that occured between Victor Ireland and Sega. I lost of respect for the man. To be honest. I wouldnt be surprised if something similar happened with Sony.

I cant say I'm surprised by this. They have been completely dead for over a year now.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.