Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just downloaded the SVN896 and when I open it and try to run the EXE, I get the following message:

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Anyone know the problem or where to locate this file?

It's my first time trying to run VBA-M so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm used to the regular VBA's 'just open and run' ease of use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem

I read the read me file and this is what I understood:
  1. There are system requirements
  2. Required Run-times
  3. And Optional Run-times

This is what it said were the required run-times (direct copy and paste):
=================
Required Runtimes
=================

DirectX Runtime Web-Updater:
Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

MSVC 2008SP1 Runtime
(x86) Download details: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

(x64) Download details: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)

zLib
http://www.zlib.net/zlib123-dll.zip

To my understanding there is only 1 dll and it is not the one noted in the prompt.

I know that I don't know a lot about computer things in general so that's probably why I am also stuck, but I would greatly appreciate if anyone were able to point me in the right direction.

for example:
I see that "http://www.zlib.net/zlib123-dll.zip" is a zip file. Does this mean that it contains multiple dll's? And if so does this mean that one of the dll's included is the one I get prompted for?

I'm going to go ahead and download the file and hope it fixes my problem, but I will also check back here for a response (if it doesn't).

Also, on a side note, if it's that the zip contains multiple .dll's including the one that you get prompted for first thing, it would be nice if some one updated the readme file to state that. I'm from a windows world but I also play with linux so I can understand that mindset of "point, click, work" and not expecting to have to do anything else.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
What will fix your problem is running the DirectX Web-Updater (as it's obviously a DirectX dll that's missing).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok!

Scratch everything I put up there...

What will fix your problem is running the DirectX Web-Updater (as it's obviously a DirectX dll that's missing).
Thank you... I just read through some of the other post and saw that you put the pretty much the same thing for other people with the problem.

I can understand why you seem so frustrated!

I do have a suggestion that may help you though. make a note in the read me file that says something like "**WARNING** - you have to update your..."

I know it's not really a warning or anything but that will definitely get peoples attention as they read through.

Also, as much as I appreciate the help (not trying to feed the trolls here), to me the problem is not obvious. I don't really understand what I'm doing half of the time when I click and down load and run and blah blah blah... I know it's my own fault. Normally I'm lucky enough that my boyfriend will set things up for me, and I don't have to do anything. BUT I am trying to do computer stuff on my own - like this. Eh... I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm trying, thanks and understand that I don't know much when it comes to this sort of thing.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
What? I aint frustrated XD
I also have no direct relation to VBA-M other than being the handheld mod for this forum (which encompasses far more than just VBA-M).
Anyways I guess you have to be a bit more used to Windows PCs to see the dx9 in the dll name and automatically know that it's DirectX 9 (and d3d in the filename means Direct3D which is another name for DirectX) and that your DirectX needs updating as you're missing a dll or more.

Linux is far from "point, click, work" by the way, it's more like "Find what you want (hopefully someone has made it), read up on it, compile it, if there's a problem there's a lot more reading up needed and once that's done proceed back to the previous step, tweak it for your personal taste and configuration, point, click, work", so Windows despite it not seeming so is actually far easier :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
What? I aint frustrated XD
I also have no direct relation to VBA-M other than being the handheld mod for this forum (which encompasses far more than just VBA-M).
Anyways I guess you have to be a bit more used to Windows PCs to see the dx9 in the dll name and automatically know that it's DirectX 9 (and d3d in the filename means Direct3D which is another name for DirectX) and that your DirectX needs updating as you're missing a dll or more.

Linux is far from "point, click, work" by the way, it's more like "Find what you want (hopefully someone has made it), read up on it, compile it, if there's a problem there's a lot more reading up needed and once that's done proceed back to the previous step, tweak it for your personal taste and configuration, point, click, work", so Windows despite it not seeming so is actually far easier :p
I must have some sort of affinity for breaking things... every time I update something on linux i break a driver... usually for my sound card.

but I have yet another question...

VBA-m loaded but when I tried to run a rom i just saw small moving pix-elated red line. I tried looking for similar post before I posted anything about it but nothing yet.

I'm going to guess it has something to do with the "Optional filter" and try that really quickly... but if you know of a fix for this I be more then happy to read it

Quick question: is VBA-M Discussion - Emuforums.com
a broken link? I keep copying and pasting it into the browser and it keeps redirecting me back to the forums root page.

----------------------------------------------------------

Err.. you know what? I think the rom I'm using may be messed up. I just tried to play a different game and it had the same red line but it still worked almost regularly. Hrm... what to do what to do...

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yes the link is dead. Check here. Downloads - visualboyadvance-m - Project Hosting on Google Code

As for your problem with running a rom...well I am afraid only the name of whatever you're trying to run and a screenshot could help in letting me figure out what might be wrong there.

If this is for the linux build then I can't really help you with that I am afraid by the way, I have no experience what so ever with that build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know I'm a super duper loser for being a 22 year old chick playing pokemon... but I'm addicted (I gotta catch 'em all!) lol

The rom is Emerald here's the link to where I got it from : *snip*

I run it straight from the zip because I've never had a problem with it before. I also tried extracting it to see if it made a difference and it didn't.

I didn't alter the file name either.

the reson I think the rom might not work is because I tried opening it the the original VBA that I have and it's the same thing except with out the red line.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I am afraid that we can't help you with downloaded roms as they are illegal and against the [rules]Emuforums Rules[/rules] and in accordance with those rules I now have to lock this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.