Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system:
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60Ghz
2 GB Ram
Radeon X1650 Series 256MB
Windows Vista

Trying to play Final Fantasy X at the moment. Any idea what speeds I should be getting, because I want to know if I am getting less than I am suppose to and if anyone can help me achieve better.
Thanks in advance!

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I don't know what speed you're supposed to be getting (why not specify?), but before speed hacks came about, it was an ~3GHz Core 2 that was recommended for full speed in that game. I'd wager an Athlon X2 (that's both slower clock for clock and clocked lower) wouldn't get full speed most of the time, but be fast enough to get it often, by default. With speed hacks, I'd think then that it should run full speed, or pretty close (there will be the certain spots, like when summoning Shiva, and near the beginning of Mi'ihen Highroad, that slower CPUs may slow down a bit on anyway)?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Err...... Even if the Athlon64 X2 is running at 3.2Ghz. You'd not get full speed consistently on FFX.

To clarify, I think you're testing the game on the opening scene on the campfire right? To get 100% full speed on that scene, you'd need that Athlon64 X2 at about 4Ghz. I'm not joking.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Perhaps I'm overestimating how much I'm saying speed hacks will get you, but others seem to make promising claims. I've never tried them out of a lack of need, so I wouldn't know.

Without them, 2.6GHz will probably not get you full speed consistently, no (as I said, 3GHz, and that's 3GHz for a Core 2, was the unofficial staple recommendation), but it shouldn't be really slow either.

I also forget to mention that the opening can be a slow spot. Any places with alot of characters will slow down on alot of CPUs. Even my old Core 2 Duo E8400 at stock (3GHz) slowed down (albeit only a bit, but still noticeably) after the Thunder Temple when they meet that girl on the path and it shows all of your party and they talk. How much did you test into the game?

What is your plug-in configuration for the video? Let's eliminate the basics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get like 50% almost everywhere except the menu's, I feel my configuration might be set up wrong for my cpu. I mean the game is basically unplayable for me, and I feel with my system it should be.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
you're processor is fine.

its just the wrong brand, with the wrong capabilities and speeds.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Only about half speed in that game after speed hacks is still definitely too low though, from what I've read around. Check around, and others are getting more than half speed. I'd feel bad if you can't figure this out, as my CPU can "almost" pull this game off (well, at least the first fifteen minutes, I didn't try the entire game) in single core mode in full speed, and yes, that's without speed hacks.

Is overclocking out of the question? If you can take it to 3GHz or so (6000+ speeds), it'll help some.

Post your video configuration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you mean graphics:
GSdx 890 SSE2 0.1.14
Windowed
Direct3D9 (hardware)
Pixel Shader 2.0
None
4:3
Native
Nloop
Texture filtering
Logarithmic X
Alpha Correction

I think that is what you mean.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
I don't remember FFX requiring "Logarithmic Z" to be turned on. That compatibility hack slows down DX9 cards by a good amount.

I know Persona 4 needs this turned on or else you end up with flashing textures and Z-fighting polygons. Turning it on though negatively affects performance by a good amount. I typically lose about 20fps whereas normally the game will run at near fullspeed at all times (55fps-60fps).

·
Registered
836 Posts
that processor is good. i get full speed on my 2ghz amd x2 mobile cpu on my laptop. try useing ALl the speed hacks. everyone possible i used that and i never got crashes the only thing that is slow is the opening movie. my computer barley reaches 60fps in the opening movie heh. so yea one other thing you can try doing is running in native resolution and swiching to pixelshader 2 that helps a bit. also idk if they mentioned this already but update ur revs and plugin that will help aswell. good luck! amd users ftw! :)

edit: i was just thinking .... if u have a msn or aim pm me with it and ill help you directly. i feel bad for you D: and i just KNow theres somthing wrong here b/c my 2ghz laptop gets 80fps in that game.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Check three posts up from yours. Pixel shader 2 and native resolution are already being used.

I knew that CPU should be getting more than half speed. It should be full speed most of the time, reaching full on the rest, at least with speed hacks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
heh sorry but yea it should be getting full speed maybe a virus is really slowing down your computer? ffx is not a demanding game . if your saying your getting half the speed or lower >< a 1.7ghz [SC]with all the speed hacks can run this game at 30-40fps.... <<;

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.