Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a wirless media extenteder, and wanted to know you all's opinion on the matter. I kinda like the offerings from d-link, but haven't done major research on them yet. I need it to have at the very least s-video out, but proferably component, and a digital coax out also, and last but not least something that doesnt' require media center addition, seeing as how I have only but OS X 10.4, Linux, or XP SP2.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
For video (including keyboard and mouse if you desire): search for KVM extenders

For audio, there's really only one solution that I've been able to find: A Gefen digital audio extender. It's not wireless, and it may not be ethernet (though it connects to an RJ-45 connector). This means that you may have some difficulty converting it to wireless.

Alternatively, you can get video and audio built into one unit if you don't care about keyboard and mouse here, but again it isn't wireless.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Hmm... OK, I thought you were talking a more general device. I went the other way, and not only do I get a remote (via USB->IR Receiver) I get HL2 and similar stuff. Then again, your approach is probably much cheaper.

My father was looking at a similar solution, and almost bought one. The problem was if you look at the list of supported video codecs, divx is not listed. This may or may not be an issue for you. For him, it caused him to not buy the thing. Also, for future usefulness, it would need to be modifiable... I'm not saying it's not modifiable, just that I have not yet seen anyone attempt to modify one - for example, to add divx support, or perhaps an AC3 audio codec, or whatever new codecs come out with time.

Good luck, and I hope I gave you at least something to consider - even if my solution wasn't quite what you were looking for.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Valcrist said:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=318

I was thinking something more of this flavor, something controlled with a remote n'stuff.
Oh god, stay the hell away from that thing. It's horrible.

I reviewed these things for months and months before finally settling on the Pinnacle Showcenter. It'll do MPEG1-2, DivX, and Xvid, which is all you'll ever really need. There are alternative GUIs available, such as SwissCenter that extend the original functionality allowing you to view weather reports, listen to Internet radio, etc... I didn't get the latest model (200) because it was cheaper and the only addition was support for HDTV. All my media is mainly rips I've made from DVD box sets of television shows, so I didn't think I'd need it. If you have some extremely HQ stuff, go for the 200, otherwise the 1000g should suit you just fine and it's the best out there on the market. Believe me.

My only complaint is that it doesn't understand AC3, so be sure to stick with MP3 for your audio.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What about a cheap modded xbox and the wireless ethernet kit? I've got a wired one hooked up to my router streaming movies to the TV right now.

I don't like wireless because it just doesn't have the bandwidth to be able to stream media without hitches.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks flare, thats perfect. I've always liked pinnacle, I don't know why I never looked there.

@Hairybudda: I'd rather not mod my consoles especially since I plan on traiding it in for credit towards an xbox 360, although the xbox 360 looks like it'll do alot fo the stuff I want out of the box, something to look into. I think I'll go with the Pinnacle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Valcrist said:
Thanks flare, thats perfect. I've always liked pinnacle, I don't know why I never looked there.

@Hairybudda: I'd rather not mod my consoles especially since I plan on traiding it in for credit towards an xbox 360, although the xbox 360 looks like it'll do alot fo the stuff I want out of the box, something to look into. I think I'll go with the Pinnacle.
The Pinnacle looks a lot nicer and won't make as much noise either, I was just going for the cheap viable alternative approach :)

Get some pictures if you end off ordering one up :agree:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
My bad. I just found out that the ShowCenter actually DOES support AC3, although not directly. What it does is it allows it to "pass-through" directly to the surround system. So, if you're not hooked up via optical, you won't hear any sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.