Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a Sitecom 150n Usb network adapter yesterday

now i had 2-10% connectivty with the wireless network in my neighbourhood.

I saw an Sitecom 300n XR or something which has 2x more range but is kind of expensive and don't even know if that will give me enough range.

Now i wonder what will give me more range?

That 150n usb adapter or a wireless PCI network card? Or is it all the same? (though i see some pci cards have atenna's should that matter?)

Thanks if you can help ;)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Kind of a tough subject matter.

A built-in PCI/PCIe LAN card *generally* will provide better range, but it could be limited by the location of your computer. For instance, if you keep it in an enclosed desk on/near the floor, you likely won't receive better reception.

On the bright side, you can swap out the card's antenna for a long-range, high gain antenna and mount in on a wall, near a window, outside, etc.

Most USB solutions don't use an external antenna, so I'd say go for the internal card and also get a new, mountable antenna for it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answer, how much DB atenna would you recommend?

ALso another question atenna's go at the back of the NIC i see on pictures... are there also wired one's that you can connect to your NIC?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.