Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help making a decision. My HDD died last night and I went and bought a new one today. Before I get to the nitty gritty and try to get things back to the way I had them I was wondering if I should consider putting XP x64 on instead. Here is my system:

Asus a8n-sli deluxe
Maxtor 100GB 7200RPM SATA
1GB Geil Memory 2.5-8-4-4
Giga-byte Geforce 6600 w/ 128MB VRAM pci-x
AMD Athlon64 3500+

A few things to keep in mind. I am a CS student @ University of Evansville so I use Visual Studio a bit. Probably the most intensive app I run is WOW atm.

Thanks,

Ninjis

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
Ninjis said:
Hey guys I need some help making a decision. My HDD died last night and I went and bought a new one today. Before I get to the nitty gritty and try to get things back to the way I had them I was wondering if I should consider putting XP x64 on instead. Here is my system:

Asus a8n-sli deluxe
Maxtor 100GB 7200RPM SATA
1GB Geil Memory 2.5-8-4-4
Giga-byte Geforce 6600 w/ 128MB VRAM pci-x
AMD Athlon64 3500+

A few things to keep in mind. I am a CS student @ University of Evansville so I use Visual Studio a bit. Probably the most intensive app I run is WOW atm.

Thanks,

Ninjis
u dont have it yet ?? whats the point of having a 64 bit cpu then
i'm not saying it will turn your world upsite down but u will notice a nice differnce in 64 bit apps (some games riddick for example)

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Err, no. 64-bit doesn't make that big a difference. It's mostly compression software, professional graphics rendering, and performing scientific data where 64-bit computing comes in handy. Games don't really make that much of a difference, at least not yet (the 64-bit Far Cry was less than stellar).

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
i'd say hold off on windows x64 for now. besides what Demigod mentioned, the driver support is still pretty crappy from what i hear.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
hushypushy said:
i'd say hold off on windows x64 for now. besides what Demigod mentioned, the driver support is still pretty crappy from what i hear.
Maybe for the obscure stuff but the only thing so far that hasn't worked out of the box on my system was my printer and my sound card, things I have to install drivers for in 32-bit XP as well. The nVidia control panel seems to be missing from the drivers though. I'll take a closer look at it later.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Im about to create another partition just to dual boot with XP 64-bit.
As for the drivers, ill miss my printer and one of my NIC´s.
But im too lazy to do it right now, as im using the pc alot these days...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.