Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Could you write a small review (or a big one, if you prefer) of it? Always interested in hearing independent, first-hand reviews. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I'm gonna wait a bit till my SATA drivers are updated, then I'll buy it and try again. When I tried hte beta, by SATA drives were stuck in PIO mode and my printer didn't work. If the drivers are updated, I'll get it and dual boot with 98

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have zero problems, except for my audio drivers.. I have an nForce 3 board, but the audio isn't nforce-based, so there's no x64 driver yet, so atm I have no sound.

But C-Media said they'd have beta drivers in Feb.. so hopefully I'll see some soon.

Anyway, everything seems the same, haven't had one 32-bit app I use not work (Nero, DVD Decrypter, xchat, gaim, Firefox, Thunderbird is about all I've got installed atm).

32-bit apps get installed to x:\Program Files (x86), and 64-bit apps go to x:\Program Files, atm I only have one 64-bit app, which is sysinternal process explorer (handy tool for killing file handles that programs leave behind)

It's not really a 64-bit version of WinXP, it's actually based on Windows 2003 SP1, so it's fairly stable and works great, and supposedly has more optimized file handling/read/writes and such. Although lots of software doesn't have 64-bit counteparts yet, they're coming and most 32-bit versions work great.

If you're lucky and all your hardware has x64 drivers, give it a try, if not, just wait a couple months, it's like the old days of Win2K, which I was an early adopter of as well, even tho it made my modem connect at 33K :(

B

·
0 Posts
At least your modem did still connect ... :)
Waited for 4 months back when windows 2k came out, when I realized the company has vanished from the market and had to buy a new one.

Back to the topic: I have WinXP 64 installed on a PC here, but it's kinda useless without any special software (PCSX2 anyone?) and all required drivers.

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
i waiting til i get the rest of my upgrades b4 i start saving for it. i used the betas of it and they ran great for me . you can go to planetamd64.com for drivers. but i sure they will be more once it hits the stores.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I want to do it, but I don't want to deal with things not working.

Is it like a patch or do I have to reinstall windows again, and is there a way I can switch back if I don't like it or when I update am I stuck in 64 mode forever?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you need a 64-bit processor, yes it requires a fresh install, it's a major rewrite of core components.

If you're not the early adopter type, give it 3-6 months. Should be fine by then, and Bobbi, PCSX2 doesn't work on it? I'll have to try it out..

·
Registered
822 Posts
Maybe when my laptop drivers get updated to 64 will I pop that OS into the laptop. Or whenever they decide to release longhorn in the 64 bit version which I think is quite a ways away (so by then driver support should be better...I think).

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
CD said:
Anyone running it besides me? :x
Here. RC2. Only thing not yet working properly is my printer/scanner, but I see epson just added a driver download section for x64, so I assume that's gonna be remedied shortly ;)

*edit* BTW IIRC nero 6.5 and later comes with both x64 and xp executibles in its installer. Assuming you have that version, your copy of nero is 64 bit, not 32 ;)

·
Perpetual Dualism
451 Posts
I wouldn't recommend upgrading to x64 immediately but it will be worth it when most drivers are fully compatible and lots of progs & games are released with 64bit support

Can't wait to play Farcry in 64bit^^

and I like that M$ will release the final product with SP1 and all the hotfixes included and *NOT* will that -evil- SP2 :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Upgrade to RTM *****!

And my nero is 32-bit, 6.6.0.8a, tagged as *32 in the taskbar (a sweet feature i might add)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Hey, not all of us have the benefit of a MSDN subscription ;).

As for nero... odd. I could have sworn they listed an x64 version for 6.5.... ah well :p.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
i dont have a 64 bit cpu so i cant run it... booo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts