Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. Upgrading a buddy of mine's computer, i actually just built recently. But he was getting his new ram (original was on backorder. so he cancelled) and i was thinking about just giving him a total of 8gb's of OCZ platinum. But currently he is running XP x32 so it wont support it etc. And long story short he isnt a fan of Vista.

So my question is, how is x64 compared to the original nowadays? i remember back in the begining there was little compatibility with drivers and all that. What are peoples thoughts and opinions on the x64 build?

Oh and before you ask, the ram is only $100 4x2gb sticks, he does a lot of hi-res gaming, hi-def video stuff, and constantly multitasking with many different windows at once. So it just seems appropriate. Little bit overkill but he can easily pay for it and would have bragging rights lol. He's running an
e8600 with a Lanparty Junior, Radeon 4890 OC and currently 2gb of CHEAP CRAP pc4200 533mhz ram.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
As long as you can find drivers for all his hardware XP x64 is fine.

Almost any mainstream hardware has XP x64 drivers. It's just some lesser known brand hardware like webcams and stuff that don't have XP x64 drivers sometimes.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Does he play games? If so, Windows XP x64 isn't worth the trouble, from what I read more often than not. It's not even Windows XP, per se, but a version of Windows server. Alot of the stuff that works for x64 (Windows Vista x64) doesn't work for Windows XP x64 (namely, drivers are more scarce still for 64-bit for that operating system), and since, as I said it's not really the same as Windows XP, some other programs have issues with it off the bat (especially some games). This is all based on what I've read when I was half considering it. If you want 64-bit, it seems you're going to have to move up.

By the way, noticing that he's got a Core 2 Duo E8600, if it's heavily overclocked, he'll likely have to drop the overclock with four RAM modules. I tried going to 8GB (4x2GB) for a while, but had to drop the overclock in order to do so.

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment he's running stock speeds, so it dosnt really effect him too much with the stock cooler at the moment, we need to size it up, in a little lanbox so we need to know sizes etc for the cooler etc.

And i didnt know about the 4 rams affecting the oc before. slightly odd. if anything ill steal 4gb's from him :evil:

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
why not just install Windows 7 RC2 leak, and update to the full version once its out in October.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Why not just install Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit for now ? If I install Windows 7 RC2 leak then it will expire before I have a chance to update to the full version. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
it expires in march 2010.

the RTM comes next month, and Retails in october.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
March, 1st actually is when the RC expires, and the OS shuts down every 2 hours.

In May the OS ceases to function entirely.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
This thread's too one-sided. Now where's cooliscool when you need 'im to defend XP x64 xD

As for the OP, I really don't think drivers are a major issue. Almost all the major vendors' sites I've been too offered XP x64 drivers. But software support may not be as good (as Zedeck said), still I'm not sure since I haven't tried it.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
March, 1st actually is when the RC expires, and the OS shuts down every 2 hours.

In May the OS ceases to function entirely.
The OS shuts down every 2 hours ? What am I going to do with 2 hours ? I can't use the computer for every 2 hours ? I am confused.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
I think he means that after every 2 hours of continuous use, the OS will shut down automatically. Regardless, we'll probably have Win 7 SP1 by then, so no need to worry.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
I am not sure I understand this. After 2 hours of continuous use, then the OS will shut down for 2 hrs and I have to wait for it to come up again ? *CONFUSION*

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
*head-desk* Dude, analyze the wording of his post!

March, 1st actually is when the RC expires,
Analysis: The RC expires on 1st March

and the OS shuts down every 2 hours.
Analysis: After every 2 hour session; that is, after every 2 hours of continuous use, the OS will shut down.

That's that. Is there any reference to something like the PC having to stay off after the shut-down? NO. You turn on your PC, use it for 2 hours, it shuts down, then you turn it back on again!

But wait. Wait, we'll have Windows 7 Sp1 till then so quit worrying!

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Okay, should I download Windows 7 RC x64 or 32 bit ? I have legal product key for Windows 7. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Great, thanks!

What about this link:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_windows_7_xp_installed_first.htm?page=2

or

http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

or

http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/

or you have a better way ?

By the way, should I partition and format the hard disk for Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit and Windows 7 RC x64 ?

EDIT: If I should, then how much partition with the maximum size should I use ? I have 141 GB free space now. Please answer 2 questions, thanks. :)

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Yeah, you'll obviously need a separate NTFS partition for Win 7. A partition no lesser then 15GB if you want even some basic apps and a reasonable amount of space left for system restore or virtual memory.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.