Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very unhappy to hear that nVida will not be programming drivers for Voodoo video boards. They won't even give the source to Microsoft. What do you guys think, is a petition in order?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Supposedly the old RC1 drivers that were released prior to 3dfx's being purchased will work with XP. While hardware/software that allows the Voodoo series to work is legally the intellectual property of nVidia (and thusly not something that they'd be required to give away), I agree that it would be nice if they were to release source for some of the more basic functions of the card and allow third parties to create drivers.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
even if u are able to do a petition, there will be no hope for the voodoo cards to resurrect:

nvidia has bought 3dfx in order to erase one the opponent in the videocard buisness race from the list....
nvidia has bought 3dfx so,
nvidia has all the rights to do what he wants w/ 3dfx.
Anyway, 3dfx was almost dead when nvidia decided to buy it....

now, there are only a few competitors:

nvidia, ati and matrox.
business is the only rule.

bye

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Rargh
now, there are only a few competitors:

nvidia, ati and matrox.
business is the only rule.
Hey!
You forgot the creator of the Kyro2,ST Microelectronics.
How could you? They're gonna do a fine job in eating nVidia's cake(understand:they're going to sell more and more card).

S

·
0 Posts
Rargh is right. Kyro cards are not even considered a threat by Nvidia right now. Especially w/the new GEForce 3 cards coming. But ATI w/the new Radeons is definately going to give Nvidia something to think about. Nvidia bought 3DFX because the new Voodoo Cards had the potential to topple Nvidia as the top of the heap. Since 3DFX was in trouble, it was easy for Nvidia to do this.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
And ati is just a threat in the cheap card market.
The radeon LE chip is more powerful than a geforce 2mx one.
The radeon is (sorry for its owners) nothing compared to the technical specifications of the geforce 2 for the same price so...

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Sorry sxamiga but you're wrong.
Just a while before the release of Kyro2 based cards,nVidia sent to all major card manufacturers a little booklet explaining why they shouldn't work with STM,they said(and showed with screenshots)that the Kyro2 had no T&L support,right but,how many games do support it right now? 10 maybe 15.
They also showed that Mercedes Truck Racing(or whatever it is called) had some display bugs(almost not noticeable without a zoom)with Kyro2 cards,but what was funny is that at that time the game wasn't even running on nvidia cards(I've heard it's now fixed).
Most of the things discussed in this booklet were just lies.

So,sxamiga,I ask you,why nvidia would make such a thing if they didn't felt threatened?
To protect the manufaturers interest? Someone kill me if they do care about them(except for the fact that they're the ones that keep nvidia alive by buying their chips).
And I don't think Guillemot/Hercules is that displeased with the STM cards,since they're selling pretty well.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
>>>"...had no T&L support,right but,how many games do support it right now? 10 maybe 15."

I agree w/ ya, it s true that it is useless to buy a card in order to play just a few games for now...
So no need to buy a nvidia card for a few games.

>>>"but what was funny is that at that time the game wasn't even running on nvidia cards"

so: it seems it s not important to have a few games fully supported by gforce, but if one game isn t supported at all, it really matters....
Well i don t understand ur way of thinking...

>>>Most of the things discussed in this booklet were just lies.
why nvidia would make such a thing if they didn't felt threatened?

If u have to sell a thing to people. Would u say that the same thing is better and could be found cheaper elsewhere?
I guess not...
It s business.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Rargh
[B>>>"but what was funny is that at that time the game wasn't even running on nvidia cards"

so: it seems it s not important to have a few games fully supported by gforce, but if one game isn t supported at all, it really matters....
Well i don t understand ur way of thinking...
[/B]
I was just saying that it was ridiculous from nvidia to say that this game had a very little bug on Kyro2 cards(and at that time,it was beta drivers)when it didn't even run on nvidia cards.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think that if they ve said that, this is because STM had demonstrated that kyro cards could support it, and nvidia 's ones not.
It would be stupid that nvidia has claimed what u told, knowing that they weren t even able to run it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Guess There Dead!

Yah, I guess 3DFX is dead. They were great wern't they? I remember when i first put in my voodoo, and I was getting an extra 30-50 fps in most of my good 3D games on my little P1-200. Well, I guess nVida just didn't think that they could compete with those great cards.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
BTW, knowing u have a geforce2 pro and that u don t like nvidia...
Could u give it to me for example? I m going to upgrade my old geforce256, but if I could have a GF2pro for free....
Of course i can buy a kyro2 for u if u want :D

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
mmmm

So i guess STM is really a worth opponent for nvidia then.
Why would say say such things like that?
Perhaps they ve tried to buy them, and , due to the decision of stm, they ve tried to break them.

Well, many people are going to believe this crap.
As i said before, business is the only rule..heh.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I liked the pictures that showed the supposed "weaknesses" of the card. "Look there! You'd never notice it in real life, but if you squint just right and stand on your head, you can see a rendering error! Oh boy!"

Seriously though, has anyone here used a Kyro with ePSXe and/or VGS? Are the drivers any good?

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
A friend of mine has a Kyro 2,and last time I tried ePSXe,it looked fine.
I don't know a lot about the drivers,but they seem quite hard to use(not well explained).

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
I don't think 3Dfx was anything of a viable competitor to nVidia. 3Dfx's been trailing behind nVidia since the Voodoo 3 and it was very unlikely that they'd reclaim the throne again anytime soon. The Voodoo 5 was hardly a competitor against nVidia's GeForce 2 GTS, and their upcoming Rampage chipset wasn't due for a whole year. But still, 3Dfx's been nVidia's main competitor for a long time and I think they sleep better knowing that they're out of the loop. ATI is now nVidia's most prominent threat and although the Radeon is technically inferior to the GeForce 2, it has a heap of features that make it worth it. The A-I-W Radeon costs just about the same as the GeForce 2 GTS but has a TV tuner, hardware MPEG-2 decoding, industry standard DVD decoding, superior 16bit 3D quality(nVidia's 16bit quality blow hard), and has excellent 3D accelerator support. Truly an All-In-Wonder card. Hope to get one myself later this year :) NVidia may have their technical prowess but ATI's been dominating the 2D video card arena for years, and they're now making headway into the high-end video card market. Of course nVidia has their new GeForce 3, which brings a whole new set of technologies to the table but the industry's been slow to catch onto them (just look at the amazing support for T&L) and I haven't seen a single game that uses the pixel shading abilities of the GeForce 2. I think it'll be a while before anything comes along that takes advantage of the GeForce 3's abilities. Rendering speed is everything nowadays and ATI's roadmap shows plans for a Radeon MAXX, which would completely rock in terms of speed.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by cluthu
Supposedly the old RC1 drivers that were released prior to 3dfx's being purchased will work with XP. While hardware/software that allows the Voodoo series to work is legally the intellectual property of nVidia (and thusly not something that they'd be required to give away), I agree that it would be nice if they were to release source for some of the more basic functions of the card and allow third parties to create drivers.
Bad news: The Voodoo 3/4/5 drivers for Windows 2000 worked perfectly until WinXP Beta 2, but they're me causing a lot of problems with RC1. Glide and OpenGL doesn't work, and D3D is significantly slower.

Guess I'll have to go back to Win2000. :(

[]s Badaro

1 - 20 of 28 Posts