Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any feedback yet on running Emulators on both new versions of XP. Thinking of trying XP Pro RC2 but don't want to lose all my emulators

S

·
0 Posts
they don't work?

hm....I really don't want to switch to XP if it has that much problems with (older) apps....

·
Registered
680 Posts
i'm going to get myself a copy of WinXP RC2, tell me, what drivers should i use for my graphic card, sound, etc...

the Win9x drivers/win2000/winNT?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You can use Windoze 2000 drivers (AFAIK), I have used the Win2k Detonators, but I have not installed my SoundBlaster Live drivers yet, the standard ones work fine and I dont have enough disk space to install all the Creative goodies.

C

·
0 Posts
bleem! and CVGS won't run on any NT-based OS, which is what XP is..

Also, starting in RC2, MS turned on driving blocking, which will disable any apps/drivers that it deems 'Incompatible', even if they work fine..

Go XP! ;)

S

·
0 Posts
I hope XP will not be 'forced' on my HD....you know, new apps not working on win9x, etc....oh well, you can always make a dual boot I guess .... :/

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by 404
i didn't say that i'm gonna keep xp for the rest of my life... i just want to try that 'Luna' scheme :rolleyes:
If you just want to "try" the luna schem then d/l desktopX, windowblinds and icon packager from www.download.com then install the luna themes from www.wincustomize.com . That will make any version of windows look like xp for 30 days( I hope you have a large amount of ram :p )

·
Registered
680 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax

If you just want to "try" the luna schem then d/l desktopX, windowblinds and icon packager from www.download.com then install the luna themes from www.wincustomize.com . That will make any version of windows look like xp for 30 days( I hope you have a large amount of ram :p )
I have windowblind 212e and iconpackager - tried that long time ago. But as most people always say, nothing beats the real thing ... - right?

·
Registered
513 Posts
>it's a follow-up yeah, but I think you can make a dual boot?
Since Win2k can easily dual boot, I'd imagine that XP will be able to, even if it's meant as a replacement. After all, I'm sure Microsoft is aware that there are apps which people depend on which won't be upgraded.

However, the IA64 version of WinXP (which is slated for release after the 32) will bring about a change to the MBR setup for one's hard drive which will most likely make dual booting into an older OS difficult. Of course, I know of very very few home users which are thinking of getting an Itanium series, so it's really a non-issue.

At the very least I'm sure that even if XP doesn't include dual boot, something like Grub or Lilo can be updated to force it into submission.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by 404

I have windowblind 212e and iconpackager - tried that long time ago. But as most people always say, nothing beats the real thing ... - right?
True but its the desktopX program that really makes the difference in that setup. Heres the screenshot of all of those running at once. If I hadn't told you that this machine is using win 2k could you tell the difference?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Of course.:p But its not as bad as you think. My Athlon 650 w/ 160mb ram can handle it ok and games still run at a reasonable speed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
if you can't make a dual boot you could use two hard drives with 2 different operating systems, and use the bios to make each one boot, hence giving you perfect compatabillity..... for a price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts