Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to the AMD Tech Tour in Tampa. (I love working for circuit city, they let me have the day off, since I said it was for "training"). So, I ordered the bundle pack as well, for those of you who don't know its got an ASUS k8n-e motherboard, with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core, and a copy of Windows XP x64 edition.

My question is, have any of you had any personal experience with the 64 bit version of windows, and is it bug free enough to use, or should I stick to my current xp pro sp2?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
It's not buggy, it's just tht when I was using it, there was no decent virtual CD software for it, WinRAR's shell extensions didn't work and some games behaved funny (SRS crashed every 5 minutes)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
My current setup is a mutliboot between X64, Xp and Gentoo. WRT x64, it is stable enough. The only problems that exist for me is a lack of drivers for my printer and scanner. Software wise I haven't come across anything major either.

One thing I should warn ya about: M$ split the program files directory into 2 diferent ones on x64, namely "program files" for 64 bit apps and "program files (x86)" for 32 bit ones. Thanks to the "genius" of this naming scheme, you can't install both x64 and xp on the same partition otherwise the 64 bit version of internet explorer (installed in program files on x64 ) will overwrite the 32 bit one for xp (also installed in program files). Way to go microsoft :D. So the only way you can multiboot is to use separate partitions. However because windows has to be installed on a primary partition (again, way to go M$ ) you can't have both x64 and xp paritions visable to each other :rolleyes:. This means you need to have a 3rd (extended) partition for all your data.... oh and use a boot loader such as grub to rewrite all boot paramters every time you startup.

Fun eh:p

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
So you got the bundle from AMD... How is it? I am decideing if I should get it at the Irvine showing, but I would like to sell my computer first.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bundle is GREAT, the people who give it to you are @$$'s. Well not the amd people, they were nice. The microsoft reps though...they asked me and my friends if we were gamers. We said well...yeah. They said we were "hurting" their business, by being there. We were like WTF, so we just talked to the AMD guys for a little bit (they are very informed and know thier products very well, for people that probably just got hired to talk) got our bundles and were on our way :)....freaking 3 1/2 hour drive just to stay 3 hours and drive back ...ugh @[email protected]

Well I think I'm just going to dual boot x64, just to test it out for a lil' while. I have a seperate drive I can put it on anyway.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Wait, k8n-e? That's a S754 board..

Congrats though.. I wish I could have went. :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Last I heard the bundles were sold out for every show. Good thing I ordered mine a few weeks ago. It's A8N-E not K.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Valcrist said:
The bundle is GREAT, the people who give it to you are @$$'s. Well not the amd people, they were nice. The microsoft reps though...they asked me and my friends if we were gamers. We said well...yeah. They said we were "hurting" their business, by being there. We were like WTF, so we just talked to the AMD guys for a little bit (they are very informed and know thier products very well, for people that probably just got hired to talk) got our bundles and were on our way :)....freaking 3 1/2 hour drive just to stay 3 hours and drive back ...ugh @[email protected]

Well I think I'm just going to dual boot x64, just to test it out for a lil' while. I have a seperate drive I can put it on anyway.
Gee, don't they realize that regular folk look at what all the hip youngsters are buying when they make their decisions? AMD obviously does.

I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of 64-bit computers -- or at least one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts