1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
longhorn was a much better name... even if it was only a code name

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
The site seems to keep saying that Windows Vista is more helpful for developpers... so whats the use of it for regular users? I fail to see the point of installing it.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
I did a bit more browsing around and I found that the beta 1 version of WV is solely released for developpers. Basically, its a sandbox version so that they can get the hang of writing programs for it before the users get it.

I also didn't realise what they meant by you needed to get an MSDN account to download it. Apparantly it stands for Microsoft Developpers Network: you have to be an official developper with a relatively active status to get one.

Even if you managed to 'obtain' an illegal copy: it doesn't let you install anything on it.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
It would seem most likely. From the way things look there might be a developpers edition as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vanit said:
Mid-Late 2006 if you actually looked around =/.
Why the hostility? I just asked a question.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the WinFX Runtime Components Beta 1 is in simple terms?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
the beta for windows vista isn't only for developers, you can always sign-in here : http://beta.microsoft.com if you are chosen you are in, but the msdn and technet subscribers have instant and automatic access to the beta, they can request a dvd or download it from their network site. there's a LOT of people going in this first phase of the beta so sign up there and cross your fingers if you want to test it.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
mg2: Sorry that I came across a bit harsh :).

caipirnha: I looked into the website, but from what I could tell its a generic beta sign-up and doesn't mention Windows Vista. Thanks for the link though, I love beta testing :).

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
that's the official way of entering microsoft beta tests, that pages covers everything from OS to xbox games, so if you want to test anything, including vista you have to sign up there. then they'll choose you to whatever program and phase they think suits their need.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
I wounder what backwards compatibility will be like.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
I heard its 64-bit only. Honestly, I think the name could do some rethinking. I also hear you'll only be able to ever install something once, including the OS. If this is true, I wont buy it. What if I format my hard drive? I cant use the OS anymore? Just plain sucks.

Anybody read this?- http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/24/0350245&from=rss

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
there are 2 versions for beta 1 , 32 and 64bit , the name is quite apropriate since they're putting so much emphasis on the visual part of the OS and on viewing things , vista = view

and about installing it only once, hoax.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
caipirinha said:
there are 2 versions for beta 1 , 32 and 64bit , the name is quite apropriate since they're putting so much emphasis on the visual part of the OS and on viewing things , vista = view

and about installing it only once, hoax.
Well, there may be two versions for developers. Not everyone has their hands on a 64-bit processor yet. And about only installing it once, I mean through product activation. Like Windows XP, you had originally I believe several liscenses. Then, after you use all them up, you need to buy a new liscense(which is 80$).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts