Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Rpcs3 user :D
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually I'm considering to upgrade my Vista Ultimate (32 Bits) to Windows Server 2008, I want to know how good is this OS?. I mean, I need it for programming purposes and for gaming :thumb:

· Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
Don't switch. There are compatibility issues with several programs, and the performance gains aren't substantial enough to justify the switch. So much so, that if you tweak your Vista install you can get just about the same performance.

If you want a bump in performance, or just a change in general, switch to Windows 7RC. Perfectly stable, and combines the speed of XP with the pretty of Vista (and then some).

· カラム
365 Posts
Windows Server 2008 is a SERVER operating system. There are no performance gains for gaming or programming. Not to mention it's so much more expensive.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
wrong, and WRONG.

lol.

Server 2008, when configured properly has the same compatibility as Vista, while infact RUNNING FASTER.

· カラム
365 Posts
Windows Server 2008 is just Windows Vista with Aero disabled, server software included and some services that don't apply to server computers disabled...I used Windows Server 2008 on a Windows Vista machine once and saw no difference whatsoever with regards to gaming speed....not sure about programming though

· Banned
35,081 Posts
its not just vista with aero disabled. stability, and performance are also improved upon.

· Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
wrong, and WRONG.

lol.

Server 2008, when configured properly has the same compatibility as Vista, while infact RUNNING FASTER.
Get WLM working on Server 2008 x64 without a headache and I'll give you a cookie. And if you put in half the amount of effort into Vista, odds are it'll be faster than WS2008.

Just install Windows 7 and be done with it.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Launch it via the MSI, instead of the WLInstall file :p

· Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
Doesn't work. Not on x64. I forgot what the error was, but I never managed to get it working.

Was stuck using pidgin.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
I read an article about that some time ago... but quite honestly, as I don't use WLM, I don't really give a ****. :p

And it's not that Aero is disabled. It's just not enabled by default. You can hack that out if you want.

The only gripe I have about my Server 2008 install (got it for cheap 'cuz I was a student) was that it gives page fault errors a LOT, even for compatible softwares. And the source of the error was always illegal memory operations.

Anyway, that means... no No-CD cracks for a number of games, please bear with scratching your discs, no special hack or mod because it might crash the system, mmm... PCSX2 might crash quite often, too, and a lot of Dolphin SVNs don't even give so much as an error. But for what it's worth, the thing is fast. Extremely fast, and extremely stable. Plus if you're programming, it helps nudging you about illegal memory operations. :p

Edit: okay, found that bit about WLM:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/art...indows-server-2008-and-64-bit-windows-xp.html

Apparently, it doesn't work for 64-bit XP either, so it's not so much a problem with 64-bit Server 2008.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
it works on X64, TYVM, its the WLS Installer that doesn't.

if you download the required msi files and run them it will work fine.

781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just setup Windows Xp Pro second edition, my old OS. I want a OS that doesn't freeze while I'm debugging a program. I code tools for my translations. Sometimes I use a lot of RAM or CPU power. Once a crack a memory RAM in XP xDDDDDD (Too many datas running at once xD). That's why I'm asking about WS2008... I don't know, I gave a try to Windows Seven Beta but my mainboard was not recongnized :(.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
what chipset is it.

Windows 7 has drivers for most components and any it doesn't are easily gotten from their chipset vendor.

781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what chipset is it.

Windows 7 has drivers for most components and any it doesn't are easily gotten from their chipset vendor.
I have a Biostar GF7050V-M7 SE Chitset Nvidia Geforce 7050, the problem is that I cannot setup my Lan card and the Audio Onboard :(.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.